Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cuseroc , 9-04-08
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Cuseroc , 9-04-08
9-04-08

Quote:
cuseroc Wrote:I ask this question," What makes you think that the Cuse would even be intersted in Skip Holtz? If they were interested, they could surely match or surpass anything that ECU throws at him. The question is, would they be willing to?

StillJonesing Wrote:The question is why would Holtz want to step sideways into a lateral job in major rebuilding mode & tie up another 4-5 years getting your program turned around & at a top 25 level when he is already got ours close to that level now, get's similar money, has better fan support, better facilities than the carrier dome with our expansion on the way, better recruiting areas in the south, etc. There are programs that would concern me if he wanted to leave but Syracuse isn't really one.

cuseroc Wrote:Even in a down cycle, SU would not be a lateral move to ECU

StillJonesing Wrote:Believe what you want, I hope you come after Holtz in the off season & if he does leave for Syracuse I will come eat crow

No crow for me. This was predictable back in September even though you didn't see it, I knew you would try. Even though you were wrong mostly, you were right about one thing with the money. They did throw the kitchen sink at him filled with $12 million.

http://www.reflector.com/blogs/content/s...offer.html
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 02:02 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-11-2008 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LUVECU Offline
Special Teams

RE: Cuseroc , 9-04-08
Da^n it SJ!! Have some class!
12-11-2008 01:54 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
StillJonesing Wrote:9-04-08

Quote:
cuseroc Wrote:I ask this question," What makes you think that the Cuse would even be intersted in Skip Holtz? If they were interested, they could surely match or surpass anything that ECU throws at him. The question is, would they be willing to?

StillJonesing Wrote:The question is why would Holtz want to step sideways into a lateral job in major rebuilding mode & tie up another 4-5 years getting your program turned around & at a top 25 level when he is already got ours close to that level now, get's similar money, has better fan support, better facilities than the carrier dome with our expansion on the way, better recruiting areas in the south, etc. There are programs that would concern me if he wanted to leave but Syracuse isn't really one.

cuseroc Wrote:Even in a down cycle, SU would not be a lateral move to ECU

StillJonesing Wrote:Believe what you want, I hope you come after Holtz in the off season & if he does leave for Syracuse I will come eat crow

03-nutkick This was all so predictable back in September even though you didn't see it. I knew you would try. No crow for me though..... even though you were wrong mostly, you were right about one thing with the money. They did throw the kitchen sink at him filled with $12 million. Still didn't make the Syracuse job attractive enough.

http://www.reflector.com/blogs/content/s...offer.html

Whatever. I havent read anywhere that SU even offered. I havent read any credible source of $12 million either. I know that they have been interviewing other potential coaches the whole time that they were dancing with Holtz. They did invite Turner Gill back for a second interview. But none of this proves that SU is a lateral move compared to ECU as you have claimed. Your coach certainly had interest in the SU job. No one could blame him. But if tables were turned, ECU would not be able to entice an SU football coach to come to ECU, unless its the fired Greg Robinson. It would be like a step down, and people would think he was crazy.

But one thing is for sure, and that is that ECU folks including yourself were hoping and praying on pins and needles that he would stay, which still may not happen.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 02:05 PM by cuseroc.)
12-11-2008 01:58 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

cuseroc Wrote:Whatever. I havent read anywhere that SU even offered. I know that they have been interviewing other potential coaches the whole time that they were dancing with Holtz.
Denial
Quote:none of this proves that SU is a lateral move compared to ECU as you have claimed. Your coach certainly had interest in the SU job. No one could blame him.
For $12 million who could blame him for talking when he was already in New York on a function, in the same building as your AD. Still didn't get the job done, which actually makes me think it isn't so lateral in reality, else why turn down an extra mill a year to do the same job at ECU. Think about it.
Quote:But if tables were turned, ECU would not be able to entice an SU football coach to come to ECU,
Not been test, what has is you couldn't from us...so what's your point. That would also require getting a coach good enough for us to want to hire, & someone better than syracuse taking ours.
Quote:But one thing is for sure, and that is that ECU folks including yourself were hoping and praying on pins and needles that he would stay, which still may not happen.
Maybe not, but I was still right about the cuse job months ago. I'm confident we have our next coach on staff and a back up plan in place regardless if he goes somewhere. Not just throw a bunch of money out & hope someone you percieve from a lesser place, (that in reality isn't, : see the one person that mattered), will take it.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 02:53 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-11-2008 02:20 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
StillJonesing Wrote:[quote=cuseroc]
Whatever. I havent read anywhere that SU even offered. I know that they have been interviewing other potential coaches the whole time that they were dancing with Holtz.
Denial
Quote:none of this proves that SU is a lateral move compared to ECU as you have claimed. Your coach certainly had interest in the SU job. No one could blame him.
For $12 million who could blame him for talking when he was already in New York in the same building as your AD. Still didn't get the job done, which actually makes me think it isn't so lateral in reality, else why turn down an extra mill a year to do the same job at ECU. Think about it.
Quote:But if tables were turned, ECU would not be able to entice an SU football coach to come to ECU,
Nor could you from us...so what's your point. That would also require getting a coach good enough for us to want to hire.
Quote:

SU did entice Holtz, because he certainly entertained the idea. I would wait until it becomes official and more news comes out. I heard that the sticking point is that Skip did not want a large buyout in case ND became open, and SU was iron clad on having one. If the job was indeed offered and he did indeed say no, it proves nothing. The reason that Chris Peterson and Pat Hill have turned down big jobs over the years has nothing to do with a lateral move.
12-11-2008 02:32 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
LUVECU Wrote:Da^n it SJ!! Have some class!

I, for one, enjoyed it. Good job, Jonesin'
04-cheers
12-11-2008 02:34 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

ecuacc4ever Wrote:

04-cheers
FTR I was fully prepared to eat my crow if needed, & I don't feel bad after all the talk on this board the last week or his arogance that day, assuming they would take him if they wanted him. He needed the reality check, & it was Cashed. That's 25% of the big east schools that have tried, including an original member throwing the bank at him.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 02:57 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-11-2008 02:43 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
StillJonesing Wrote:
ecuacc4ever Wrote:

04-cheers
FTR I was fully prepared to eat my crow if needed, & I don't feel bad after all the talk on this board the last week or his arogance that day, assuming they would take him if they wanted him. He needed the reality check, & it was Cashed.

Take note Big East. That's 25% of your schools that have tried, including an original member throwing the bank at him.

There is no reality check here. The only folks that think that ECU to SU is a lateral move are delusional ECU homers such as yourself, and ECUwhoever. His turning down SU, if he did, has nothing to do with ECU being a better job. Noone really thinks that except, ECU fans. What other BE school has tried to recruit Holtz?
Thanks for reminding me why I would rather see UCF and Memphis in the BE.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 03:02 PM by cuseroc.)
12-11-2008 02:59 PM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
StillJonesing, I love ECU as much as anyone, and I think ECU would be a better job than many of the schools in the Big East, if ECU was also a member of the Big East, but I have a feeling that Skip might consider Syracuse a half step up from ECU. The problem is that Skip is looking for a school that is a full step up and doesn't want to get tied down for 4-5 years with a school like Syracuse. A lot of people have complained about Terry Holland giving Skip such a low buyout on his new contract. That low buyout may be a big reason as to why he just as soon wait for that big step up coaching gig. The way I see it, assuming Auburn doesn't come calling, all ECU fans have a lot to look foward to in 2009!
12-11-2008 02:59 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Brick City Pirate Wrote:StillJonesing, I love ECU as much as anyone, and I think ECU would be a better job than many of the schools in the Big East, if ECU was also a member of the Big East, but I have a feeling that Skip might consider Syracuse a half step up from ECU. The problem is that Skip is looking for a school that is a full step up and doesn't want to get tied down for 4-5 years with a school like Syracuse.

Which is why I said this...

....9-04-08

He says I'm delusional, but the Syracuse job isn't what that guy thinks it is. That's clear. BCS or not, it wasn't attractive enough even with tucking in an extra million to try to get Holtz to leave. What's that say? Really.
12-11-2008 03:06 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
StillJonesing Wrote:
Brick City Pirate Wrote:StillJonesing, I love ECU as much as anyone, and I think ECU would be a better job than many of the schools in the Big East, if ECU was also a member of the Big East, but I have a feeling that Skip might consider Syracuse a half step up from ECU. The problem is that Skip is looking for a school that is a full step up and doesn't want to get tied down for 4-5 years with a school like Syracuse.

....9-04-08

He says I'm delusional, but the Syracuse job isn't what that guy thinks it is. That's clear. BCS or not, it wasn't attractive enough even with tucking in an extra million to try to get Holtz to leave. What's that say? Really.

Just remember this. I dont know who our next coach will be, but I am sure he will be a good one, because our AD knows his job is on the line, and he will get the right guy. But whoever turns SU around will get mich more money and accolaides prestige than what any ECU coach could hope for. That much is clear.
12-11-2008 03:15 PM
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
StillJonesing Wrote:

....9-04-08

Jonesin', had you pulled this stuff on the NC State or Carolina Scout boards, you'd been banned faster than I could offer one of these...

04-cheers
12-11-2008 03:20 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
The 2nd school he refers to is UC sending out feelers to see if there was interest on his side. They never offered him the job, so the statement is ridiculous.

StillJonesing is just trying to talk smack, hence I'll be moving this to the smack forum.
12-11-2008 03:20 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

cuseroc Wrote:Just remember this. I dont know who our next coach will be, but I am sure he will be a good one, because our AD knows his job is on the line, and he will get the right guy.
You mean the same AD that signed GRob...the same year we hired Holtz? He has great vision, considering Holtz already had a proven track record as a head coach in your backyard at UConn as a young 30 year old taking them farther than they had ever been at the time, not a 55 year old DC who never had a head coaching sniff...
Quote:But whoever turns SU around will get mich more money and
Like our AD Terry Holland said, we don't have to buy our coaches nor will try. Seemed to work out so far, for you not so much.
Quote:accolaides prestige than what any ECU coach could hope for. That much is clear
As far as the "accolaides/ prestige" you must have missed the first couple weeks when Holtz/ECU was the talk of the college football world. Don't know how anyone could have got more accolaides & press pating him on the back actually when they shot up to #14. I was around in the 90's when we played often, & beat you some even when you were good. I never remember Syracuse getting that kind of press.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 03:37 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-11-2008 03:34 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
StillJonesing Wrote:
cuseroc Wrote:Just remember this. I dont know who our next coach will be, but I am sure he will be a good one, because our AD knows his job is on the line, and he will get the right guy.
You mean the same AD that signed GRob...the same year we hired Holtz? He has great vision, considering Holtz already had a proven track record as a head coach in your backyard at UConn as a young 30 year old taking them farther than they had ever been at the time, not a 55 year old DC who never had a head coaching sniff...
Quote:But whoever turns SU around will get mich more money and
Like our AD Terry Holland said, we don't have to buy our coaches nor will try. Seemed to work out so far, for you not so much.
Quote:accolaides prestige than what any ECU coach could hope for. That much is clear
As far as the "accolaides/ prestige" you must have missed the first couple weeks when Holtz/ECU was the talk of the college football world. Don't know how anyone could have got more accolaides & press pating him on the back actually when they shot up to #14. I was around in the 90's when we played often, & beat you some even when you were good. I never remember Syracuse getting that kind of press.

Thats because you are a blind homer who only sees in purple.03-lmfao
I suppose you dont remember all of the undefeated and 10 or 11 win seasons or when SU was beating the likes of undefeated Nebraska or Miami, VT, defending national champion Michigan and going to bcs bowl games either.01-wingedeagle yeah we never got the kind of press that ECU git for 3 weeks this season.01-wingedeagle

I must admit, ECU got some press at the beginning of the season and it disappeared for some reason around the 4th week.
12-11-2008 04:12 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

cuseroc Wrote:Thats because you are a blind homer who only sees in purple.03-lmfao
I suppose you dont remember all of the undefeated and 10 or 11 win seasons or when SU was beating the likes of undefeated Nebraska or Miami, VT, defending national champion Michigan and going to bcs bowl games either.01-wingedeagle yeah we never got the kind of press that ECU git for 3 weeks this season.01-wingedeagle

"all the undefeated"? Really? You had two. 1987 & way back in the 50's. That's not the 90's last I checked. You had a couple 10 win seasons early in the 90's, & we beat you in one of those & finished ranked higher. There were no 11 win seasons in the 90's, just some other 8 & 9 ones, & the 90's were a long time ago.

Quote:I must admit, ECU got some press at the beginning of the season and it disappeared for some reason around the 4th week.
Much like Syracuse actual having winning seasons about 4 years ago. Last time you were any good the internet & various cable news outlets weren't nearly big. Maybe that's why I don't remember the same kind of press. 03-lmfao Also admit it, the press likes a non-BCS story & upsets even more than they like some storys from conferences like the Big East who they don't really respect. We might be a top non-BCS job, equivalent & that puts more fans in the stands than many BCS programs including yours, but they like to sell the underdog stories of us vs schools like Virginia Tech (who you aren't), even though we get them on even terms to our stadium. You think people remember the BCS bowl the big east was in 2 years ago & who won? Now do you think they remember the ones Boise State & Hawaii were in for completly separate reason? I think so. Being out of the BCS has it's perks as well, more people pay attention when your doing some big stuff. Another win well be in the top 25, probably start in it next year. Good luck to your program & getting some press again, that doesn't include getting turned down by a non-BCS coach 04-bow.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2008 05:06 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-11-2008 04:32 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

*Update*

cuseroc Wrote:Just remember this. I dont know who our next coach will be, but I am sure he will be a good one, because our AD knows his job is on the line, and he will get the right guy. But whoever turns SU around will get mich more money and accolaides prestige than what any ECU coach could hope for. That much is clear.

03-lmfao

You got an NFL "coordinator" of 2 years, that doesn't even call plays, & hasn't coached in college or recruited a player in 7 years. Wasn't even a coordinator in college. Has he ever called a play? Sounds like a real slam dunk winner to on the job train up, if not you got an Oline coach I guess. Just what you needed over a guy that had proven to turn 2 programs around, but he was your first choice. Sure.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/12...-syracuse/

I didn't know about the Lou Holtz video talking up Skip put up on your offical friggen website for free. Nahh, that was total accident & he wasn't your first choice. 04-cheers but you know better, all your fans do. WITN reported a $12 million dollar offer....You guys so thought you had him.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 10:21 AM by StillJonesing.)
12-11-2008 11:44 PM
UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
03-shhhh
12-12-2008 05:53 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
StillJonesing Wrote:*Update*

cuseroc Wrote:Just remember this. I dont know who our next coach will be, but I am sure he will be a good one, because our AD knows his job is on the line, and he will get the right guy. But whoever turns SU around will get mich more money and accolaides prestige than what any ECU coach could hope for. That much is clear.

03-lmfao

You got an NFL "coordinator" of 2 years, that doesn't even call plays, & hasn't coached in college or recruited a player in 7 years. Wasn't even a coordinator in college. Has he ever called a play? Sounds like a real slam dunk winner to on the job train up, if not you got an Oline coach I guess. Just what you needed over a guy that had proven to turn 2 programs around, but he was your first choice. Sure.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/12...-syracuse/

I didn't know about the Lou Holtz video talking up Skip put up on your offical friggen website for free. Nahh, that was total accident & he wasn't your first choice. 04-cheers but you know better, all your fans do. WITN reported a $12 million dollar offer....You guys so thought you had him.

From what I have been hearing, Dr Gross offered 5 years for $10 million and Skip wanted 5 years for $12 million. Dr Gross was not willing to pay that much. So he went a different route. Skip is not worth $2.5 million. Remember, my comment back in september was that SU could pay whatever they wanted for a coach if they feel he is worth it. Obviously, he isnt. The fact that no one else even interviewd Skip, pretty much makes it clear that he is not worth it. So from what I have heard, Dr Gross passed on Skip and NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. When the details are released, I will post it. 03-lmfao
12-12-2008 02:58 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

That's not what WITN reported, when they reported the details of the offer, but whatever helps you sleep. 04-cheers .

Even if your story was true, which is pretty much flys in the face of, everything every other news outlet has reported (that Skip rejected you), your claim that Syracuse is a good job & better than ECU is a joke. After All Holtz would have been ALL over it were, & like you said was his only option. Obviously it wasn't even good enough of an upgrade even with a friggin EXTRA $500k over ECU to sweetening the pot, & if what you said was even factual, the job was so bad in Holtz opinion compared to ECU that he demanded an extra million to even make it worth taking on.03-lmfao Either way you are a loser, & still are apparently blind to it. 03-lmfao Nice to see you aren't denying the interest or being the top candidate now.

So next time you & Cincy should go looking for a coach go somewhere lesser like Central Michigan, you can actually get them from & not get rejected & embarrassed in the national media. Someone in your case like a glorified career position coach NO one would have hired, but Syracuse for a head job at any mid level D1 program like we both are.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2008 05:36 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-12-2008 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.