Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O/T Toledo's Acceptance rate
Bookmark and Share
ksu sucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UA
O/T Toledo's Acceptance rate
Before anyone freaks about how incredibly off topic this is....I had no clue where to post it. I know there are many UT alumni/students who may be able to explain this.

Anyways, I was just looking at this years acceptance percentages. When I looked at the rankings for HIGHEST acceptance rankings I saw The University of Toledo....92%!! I had no clue that UT was so easy to get into! Has it always been this way? If not, what happened?

(Please, don't take this as a bash towards UT. I was simply curious. I was accepted to UT's honor college and considered going, so it's not like I consider myself above them or anything..)
12-05-2008 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: O/T Toledo's Acceptance rate
ksu sucks Wrote:Before anyone freaks about how incredibly off topic this is....I had no clue where to post it. I know there are many UT alumni/students who may be able to explain this.

Anyways, I was just looking at this years acceptance percentages. When I looked at the rankings for HIGHEST acceptance rankings I saw The University of Toledo....92%!! I had no clue that UT was so easy to get into! Has it always been this way? If not, what happened?

(Please, don't take this as a bash towards UT. I was simply curious. I was accepted to UT's honor college and considered going, so it's not like I consider myself above them or anything..)
UT is an open enrollment school. Not sure why-probably because we aren't a flagship thingy like ou. No, it was not always this way and I'm not sure why it is-its been explained on here before but I haven't seen it in awhile. I'm sure someone can help out here.
12-05-2008 02:24 PM
Pulltown Falcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Remember where UT started - as a city college. Its original mission was a lot different than what they are now (or what we let them believe they are). 05-stirthepot The city colleges (Toledo, Cleveland State, Akron, Wright State, Youngstown State, and Cincinnati) were basically open enrollment institutions (pre-community colleges) and the residentials (BG, OU, Kent, and Miami) along with OSU were the public state schools.

Admission to the University is different from admission into a major. Now a kid with a 1.9 trying to get into the College of Engineering at UT or UC? Think again. But yeah, a kid with a 1.9 could be admitted to UT and UC without any problem.

At one time, OSU-Columbus was open enrollment. Now OSU-Columbus is selective admission and the branch campuses are easier to get into.

With the new University of System of Ohio, look for things to change greatly. Instead of the usual 2-2, you may see more 3-1 type of arrangements with the universities being required to accept almost everything out of the community colleges and lose that flavor and feeling that made our respective campuses different and gave us that rivalry of who was truly more educated (BGSU in a landslide but you know you will always have to listen to the flagship crap that OU people want to spew 04-cheers ) But that would be an entire thread of its own and gets away from your question.
12-05-2008 03:01 PM
ksu sucks Offline
Special Teams

BGSU accpetance rate- 87.5 %
Akron- 81.6 %
Ohio University -82.0 %
Miami University- 75.4 %
Kent State University- 79.9 %

I'm not seeing much variation here with the exception of BGSU. Also, wasn't BGSU the only school in Ohio too see a decrease in student enrollment last year?

Just observations.
12-05-2008 03:23 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
I think BG's is so high because they accept such a high percentage of their football players into their school of engineering.
12-05-2008 04:13 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
ksu sucks Wrote:Before anyone freaks about how incredibly off topic this is....I had no clue where to post it. I know there are many UT alumni/students who may be able to explain this.

It is open enrollment at UT, but to get into select colleges at UT, i.e. Pharmacy, Medical, Engineering, Law, and Business the admission standard sky rockets.
12-05-2008 04:18 PM
Advertisement

Pulltown Falcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:
ksu sucks Wrote:Also, wasn't BGSU the only school in Ohio too see a decrease in student enrollment last year?

Not the only, but one of the few.
12-05-2008 04:34 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
Leave it to somebody from Akron to rip on another schools enrollment figures. Wow!
12-05-2008 04:53 PM
T4C8 Offline
T4C8

I Root For: U of Toledo
utpotts Wrote:

It is open enrollment at UT, but to get into select colleges at UT, i.e. Pharmacy, Medical, Engineering, Law, and Business the admission standard sky rockets.

even athletic training is hard to get in
12-05-2008 06:09 PM
ksu sucks Offline
Special Teams

Polish Hammer Wrote:Leave it to somebody from Akron to rip on another schools enrollment figures. Wow!
Haha. Whatever. Akron's situation sounds similar to Toledo's. There is an extremely large drop off between the caliber of student when you compare say, Mechanical Engineering to Sociology.

Akron is doing what they can to become more of a residential campus. I know res halls are being built literally every year to accommodate more students. Next year alone there will be room for over 1000 extra students to live on campus.

You have to remember that it was only about ten years ago that Akron still was practically a community college. President Proenza has really turned this school around. The new on campus stadium is just the beginning.
12-05-2008 08:04 PM
MyLeftNut Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Oklahoma State
ksu sucks Wrote:BGSU accpetance rate- 87.5 %
Akron- 81.6 %
Ohio University -82.0 %
Miami University- 75.4 %

I'm not seeing much variation here with the exception of BGSU. Also, wasn't BGSU the only school in Ohio too see a decrease in student enrollment last year?

Just observations.

Those are similar to the Michigan schools.

Central Michigan = 74.3%
Eastern Michigan = 80.6%
Western Michigan = 85.0%
12-05-2008 08:12 PM
Advertisement

seeds99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
MyLeftNut Wrote:
ksu sucks Wrote:BGSU accpetance rate- 87.5 %
Akron- 81.6 %
Ohio University -82.0 %
Miami University- 75.4 %

Just observations.

Those are similar to the Michigan schools.

Central Michigan = 74.3%
Eastern Michigan = 80.6%
Western Michigan = 85.0%

what are NIU, ball state and temple's numbers? Just curious. I thought NIU was lower but maybe not.
12-05-2008 08:27 PM
MyLeftNut Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Oklahoma State
Temple = 60.0%
NIU = 63.6%
BSU = 76.4%
12-05-2008 08:38 PM
ksu sucks Offline
Special Teams

SUNY for "University At Buffalo" 51.7 %( I hope this is the right one...)

Didn't want to leave anyone out.
12-05-2008 09:00 PM
Doc KSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent State
ksu sucks Wrote:
Polish Hammer Wrote:Leave it to somebody from Akron to rip on another schools enrollment figures. Wow!
Haha. Whatever. Akron's situation sounds similar to Toledo's. There is an extremely large drop off between the caliber of student when you compare say, Mechanical Engineering to Sociology.

Akron is doing what they can to become more of a residential campus. I know res halls are being built literally every year to accommodate more students. Next year alone there will be room for over 1000 extra students to live on campus.

You have to remember that it was only about ten years ago that Akron still was practically a community college. President Proenza has really turned this school around. The new on campus stadium is just the beginning.

Typical response of a Hilltop High intellectual who does not even know the history of his school. Akron has had a law school that is ABA accredited since 1961 as well as offering PhDs in engineering since 1970. Those must be typical programs at community colleges. Akron has also been part of NEOUCOM (the medical school) since 1973 or 69 when the consortium was founded.

The problem with Akron is many of its other areas, but to call it a quasi community college is 1998 is fallacious.
12-05-2008 09:28 PM
ksu sucks Offline
Special Teams

Doc KSU Wrote:
ksu sucks Wrote:

Typical response of a Hilltop High intellectual who does not even know the history of his school. Akron has had a law school that is ABA accredited since 1961 as well as offering PhDs in engineering since 1970. Those must be typical programs at community colleges. Akron has also been part of NEOUCOM (the medical school) since 1973 or 69 when the consortium was founded.

The problem with Akron is many of its other areas, but to call it a quasi community college is 1998 is fallacious.

Well first, I just wanted to say it's nice to see a flush take such interest in my university.

Second, when I referred to Akron as a "community college" before 1999(when Proenza began as pres) I didn't mean it quite that literally. The law, engineering, psychology, business, and polymer science/engineering programs have been nationally and internationally known for years. I called it that because the university just had barely ANY on campus students(atleast compared to the thousands today). Most students lived in the surrounding communities and drove to school. Hence the nickname hilltop high(that you used), and myself calling it a CC.

I think everyone read between the lines on that one except for yourself.

And yes, other than those already mentioned, many programs at Akron are lacking. The university is trying to fix this. It takes time. But building the brand new College of Arts and Sciences building a couple years ago was probably a good start.

Trust me, Kent's time as the only major residential campus in our area is limited. Proenza has high goals for this school and it's community, and all of us believe him.

The landscape for Learning initiative has just been wrapped up and over 300 million dollars has been invested in improving the overall campus quality. It looks, acts, and feels like a true residential campus already. Now Proenza is just beginning the new "Landscape for Living" plans. It will be interesting to see the changes in and around campus the next ten years or so.
12-05-2008 09:43 PM
Advertisement

Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
ksu sucks Wrote:Haha. Whatever. Akron's situation sounds similar to Toledo's. There is an extremely large drop off between the caliber of student when you compare say, Mechanical Engineering to Sociology.

Every state school across the country to varying degrees is like this.

Nothing to be ashamed about.
12-05-2008 11:38 PM
RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Pulltown Falcon Wrote:Remember where UT started - as a city college. Its original mission was a lot different than what they are now (or what we let them believe they are). 05-stirthepot The city colleges (Toledo, Cleveland State, Akron, Wright State, Youngstown State, and Cincinnati) were basically open enrollment institutions (pre-community colleges) and the residentials (BG, OU, Kent, and Miami) along with OSU were the public state schools.

Admission to the University is different from admission into a major. Now a kid with a 1.9 trying to get into the College of Engineering at UT or UC? Think again. But yeah, a kid with a 1.9 could be admitted to UT and UC without any problem.

At one time, OSU-Columbus was open enrollment. Now OSU-Columbus is selective admission and the branch campuses are easier to get into.

With the new University of System of Ohio, look for things to change greatly. Instead of the usual 2-2, you may see more 3-1 type of arrangements with the universities being required to accept almost everything out of the community colleges and lose that flavor and feeling that made our respective campuses different and gave us that rivalry of who was truly more educated (BGSU in a landslide but you know you will always have to listen to the flagship crap that OU people want to spew 04-cheers ) But that would be an entire thread of its own and gets away from your question.

I just love when someone writes of the superior education they received in a post filled with grammatical errors.
12-06-2008 07:38 AM
notauser Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
WMU isn't quite an open enrollment college, but it's close. And in my opinion that's a good thing, everyone deserves a shot at getting into a public university. All public universities should be open enrollment, as it is odd to think of requiring tax payers to pay for something that less than half can utilize. If a school like University of Georgia wants to be academically prestigious, they should just make their entry undergrad classes so difficult half flunk out. Private universities (Notre Dame and others) can do whatever they want.
12-06-2008 08:18 AM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
H2Oville Rocket Wrote:I think BG's is so high because they accept such a high percentage of their football players into their school of engineering.

Is that some kind of meth lab wisecrack?
I thought that was the chemistry department...
12-06-2008 10:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.