Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"We were cheated!"
JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

As far as coach Ron McBride is concerned, his Utah football team did not lose to Arizona on Saturday night.

The scoreboard read "Arizona 23, Utah 17" but McBride knows his team scored the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds, only to have it taken away.

"It was a touchdown. Game's over. Period," McBride said. "It's an impossible call to miss. Everybody in the stadium saw it. Everybody on TV saw it. That's embarrassing. It's embarrassing to your conference."

The Utes (2-1) trailed throughout the game and were down 23-7 early in the third quarter, but after Bryan Barreson kicked a career-long 53-yard field goal with 4:11 to play, Arizona led only 23-17.

Utah mounted one final drive from its own 28. With their usually powerful running game stifled by the Wildcats' defense, and with star running back Marty Johnson sidelined with a knee injury, quarterback Lance Rice's passing moved Utah down the field.

On second-and-10 from the Arizona 12-yard line, wide receiver Josh Lyman broke open over the middle and made a diving catch of Rice's pass as he slid out of the back of the end zone. The official standing on the line a few feet away immediately ruled the catch was no good.

But television replays clearly showed that Lyman's knee came down at least a foot inside the end zone.

"I felt like I was in. I don't know what else to tell you," Lyman said. "There's not much I can do. It should have been 6. We did what we had to do. We had one more drive and we got into the end zone. You can't ask for more than that. It's just the way it went. We just have to move on."

McBride said the call was "the worst one I've had in 40 years" of coaching.

"The game should be played by the players," McBride said.

Utah, which plays at Michigan next Saturday, moved to the Arizona 3, but on fourth-and-1, the Wildcats' Clay Hardt stopped J.R. Peroulis for a 2-yard loss to preserve the victory.

"I'm not down on my team at all," McBride said. "I'm proud of the way we played. This is a good Arizona team. The receivers are good, the quarterback's good, their defense is very good. I like the way our guys stood toe-to-toe with them. We never gave in. There were times when it looked kind of bad for us, but my guys just kept playing."

Arizona (2-0) dominated the statistics, outgaining the Utes 459-204. The Wildcats' Jason Johnson threw for a career-best 416 yards.

Bobby Wade caught nine passes for a career-best 175 yards, including a 47-yard touchdown play for the Wildcats. Andre Thurman had nine receptions for 165 yards, both career highs, including a 44- yard touchdown.

But all of those numbers almost went for naught for Arizona, which plays at Wisconsin on Saturday.

"This was a gut check game," Wildcats coach John Mackovic said. "We were not in a situation like this once last year. This is the first time we've stepped up and really won a close game."

Even if it was a game that Utah really didn't lose.

<small>[ September 18, 2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: JoltinJacket ]</small>
09-17-2002 04:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WazzuCoug82 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I didn't know that Utah "scored at the end". Maybe the TD should have been allowed but Utah should have a great season.
09-27-2002 07:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.