Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Holiday Music
ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

I Root For: RICE!

The Parliament Awards
Holiday Music
This is a goofy topic, but when is it ok to start listening to Christmas music?

I usually do for a few weeks in the summer when the heat is getting to me. And I've started listening a lot now, usually I wait until November 1st to feel like I'm not a complete idiot.

How about you guys?
11-07-2008 12:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
New Orleans Bowl
RE: Holiday Music
Heard it in the Target today...this is too early for it to be forced on us!
11-07-2008 01:25 AM
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

I Root For: The Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
I really, really hate that Christmas has gotten so commercialized that they are shoving it down our throats starting in late October. Yes, I realize it is now Nov., but I saw Christmas decor up in the village in Oct. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Christmas and the Christmas season, but starting it in OCTOBER? Really? I long for the days when October was Halloween and you celebrated that, then November was reserved for Thanksgiving. Then the day after Thanksgiving thoughts turned to Christmas. Next year I am sure Christmas will start in September and soon after that, companies will just drop all pretexts and just have Christmas around all year.
11-07-2008 05:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
To get back to AC's question, there is never a bad time for it, at least if it is the timeless stuff. I've got an iPod playlist that randomly gathers the top-rated music from my collection. I don't bother to have it exclude holiday music, because it's always nice to hear Brian Setzer lay down some boogie woogie Christmas, or Sarah McLachlin sing Silent Night, or Peanuts Christmas, or even the occasional Sesame Street Christmas song (yes, that's a fun album). It's never a concentrated bunch, but the occasional surprise holiday song is nice to hear (as long as I'm not doing a workout - I learned that lesson and have built a separate random playlist for that that's much more targeted; Sesame Street doesn't mix with weightlifting, believe it or not).

I say Christmas music shouldn't be on the radio in concentrated (i.e., the all-Christmas-all-the-time stations) until after the ides of November. Let's get past any election and Veterans Day before laying on the schmaltz.
11-07-2008 09:05 AM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The day after Thanksgiving.
11-07-2008 09:26 AM
75Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
You can listen to it whenever you want to as long as you have the music.

I think it is forced when the stores are playing even before it is Halloween and it is still hot outside. The Christmas season used to seem more important when it did not start until the day after Thanksgiving. The old traditions included seeing the decorations in the windows ot the downtown Foley's back when most serious shopping was done on Main Street in Houston before the shopping centers were built.

ArmyChick07 Wrote:This is a goofy topic, but when is it ok to start listening to Christmas music?

I usually do for a few weeks in the summer when the heat is getting to me. And I've started listening a lot now, usually I wait until November 1st to feel like I'm not a complete idiot.

How about you guys?
11-07-2008 12:12 PM
Advertisement

S.A. Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
I was in a Lowes on OCTOBER 1 and heard Christmas music. I looked around me and realized they also had Christmas merch for sale. Earliest I've ever seen/heard.
11-07-2008 01:58 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
My neighborhood Lowes put Christmas merchandise out the week after Labor day -- at the same time they put out the Halloween stuff. I'm sure it was the result of some efficiency expert report.
11-07-2008 11:48 PM
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I listen to The Nutcracker (whole ballet) in summertime occasionally -- but as ballet music, not Christmas. Anyone can listen to Christmas music any old time s/he feels like it... but personally, I wish the stores would lay off it 'til after Thanksgiving. (This is partially because IMO Thanksgiving is the best holiday in the world ever: no gifts, no cards, no none of that business, just a 4-day weekend to cook a bunch of good food and then eat it!)
11-08-2008 12:06 AM
ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

The Parliament Awards
My favorite album is Elvis's Xmas album... But BB King can lay down some sweet holiday tunes, too.
11-08-2008 12:37 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
You haven't heard the 12 days of Christmas until you hear the Sesame Street gang sing it. Then again, you've probably never heard someone make a recipe for fruitcake until you hear Raiford from the John Boy and Billy show try to make his. OK, enough of that.
11-08-2008 08:44 AM
Advertisement

stompclapwhoosh Offline
Hometown Girl

I Root For: Owls & Red Sox!

Donators
Somebody called in to Sunny 99.1 to ask when they were starting the Christmas music all the time thingy they do. I don't know why anyone would WANT that much holiday pop, and this is comign from someone who ADORES traditional Christmas carols...
11-11-2008 11:53 AM
75Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
The traditional Christmas carols have meaning attached (birth of Christ). The holiday pop is about feeling good about being cold and buying things, etc.

stompclapwhoosh Wrote:Somebody called in to Sunny 99.1 to ask when they were starting the Christmas music all the time thingy they do. I don't know why anyone would WANT that much holiday pop, and this is comign from someone who ADORES traditional Christmas carols...
11-11-2008 12:10 PM
ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

The Parliament Awards
75Owl Wrote:The traditional Christmas carols have meaning attached (birth of Christ). The holiday pop is about feeling good about being cold and buying things, etc.

stompclapwhoosh Wrote:Somebody called in to Sunny 99.1 to ask when they were starting the Christmas music all the time thingy they do. I don't know why anyone would WANT that much holiday pop, and this is comign from someone who ADORES traditional Christmas carols...

Ah, I knew that's why I preferred Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas" 02-13-banana
11-12-2008 09:45 AM
stompclapwhoosh Offline
Hometown Girl

I Root For: Owls & Red Sox!

Donators
75Owl Wrote:The traditional Christmas carols have meaning attached (birth of Christ). The holiday pop is about feeling good about being cold and buying things, etc.

FWIW, just to make this all weirder, I'm Jewish :)
11-12-2008 01:04 PM
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

The Parliament Awards
I really enjoy the Jesus Christmas carols (aka: traditional) and while I do enjoy some of the other stuff (the newer it gets, the less likely I am to like it), I wish they would play more of the Jesus stuff on the radio. I mean, why do we celebrate Christmas, really? Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to exclude anyone, and I do enjoy that Christmas is getting a little more inclusive, but at the same time, I want to remember what this all really about. I can't say I am the "model" Christian (very liberal and Catholic too), but I do what I can when I can.
11-15-2008 11:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

The Parliament Awards
Not Christian. Self-proclaimed Godless demonchild... But still like Xmas AND Elvis gospel music.
11-16-2008 12:18 AM
Chef Owl Offline
Stay hungry my friends!

The Parliament Awards
ArmyChick07 Wrote:Not Christian. Self-proclaimed Godless demonchild... But still like Xmas AND Elvis gospel music.

EVIL!! Evil!! But sexy.
11-16-2008 12:28 AM
JSA Offline
1st String

I Root For:
stompclapwhoosh Wrote:

"Some people think Ebeneezer Scrooge is.
Well, he's not.
But guess who is...
All three Stooges!"

Adam Sandler
The Chanukah Song
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2008 01:32 PM by JSA.)
11-16-2008 01:27 PM
ArmyChick07 Offline
Deceptively Evil

The Parliament Awards
JSA Wrote:
stompclapwhoosh Wrote:

"Some people think Ebeneezer Scrooge is.
Well, he's not.
But guess who is...
All three Stooges!"

Adam Sandler
The Chanukah Song

Now THAT is a holiday song we can all love!
11-16-2008 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.