Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Quote of the weekend?
Bookmark and Share
BroncoMD Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Crappies
Quote of the weekend?
Unfortunately, I can't say this was a direct quote from CMU coach Butch Jones but according to the CMU analyst in from the locker room, Jones told his team:

Quote:Let's get out of this dump!
-- referring to University of Toledo and the Glass Bowl.

I was able to catch the first half of the Toledo game on Channel 7 in Detroit. Since the game was so close and I had to leave for a family outing outside of Lansing, I decided to write down the CMU radio affiliates off the net to keep a close eye on the score -- for obvious reasons. After driving over a good 45 minutes I finally picked up the CMU radio network on 730 AM out of Lansing. The game had ended so I patiently waited for the score as they interviewed the players from the locker rooms.

After talking about the game for a bit the CMU commentators passed the mic to their colleague down in the CMU locker room. He talked to a couple players and then mentioned the comment...Nice Butch!!!
10-26-2008 11:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Quote of the weekend?
BroncoMD Wrote:Unfortunately, I can't say this was a direct quote from CMU coach Butch Jones but according to the CMU analyst in from the locker room, Jones told his team:

I was able to catch the first half of the Toledo game on Channel 7 in Detroit. Since the game was so close and I had to leave for a family outing outside of Lansing, I decided to write down the CMU radio affiliates off the net to keep a close eye on the score -- for obvious reasons. After driving over a good 45 minutes I finally picked up the CMU radio network on 730 AM out of Lansing. The game had ended so I patiently waited for the score as they interviewed the players from the locker rooms.

After talking about the game for a bit the CMU commentators passed the mic to their colleague down in the CMU locker room. He talked to a couple players and then mentioned the comment...Nice Butch!!!
Im thinking that maybe what Jones was referring to was the locker room area. Ive heard this in the past from EMU players and coaches that it is not very visitor friendly, very small, guys have to change in shower stalls because of not enough room. I know the NCAA rule of carrying 65/60 players on the road has been in place for a long time, gotta believe these schools build the locker rooms smaller on purpose, also heard the same about BGSU...other than that I think the Glass Bowl is a nice stadium.
10-27-2008 04:18 AM
IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Brian Kelly once made a similar comment. If I remember correctly, he was asked what it felt like to play a game in such a great stadium as the Glass Bowl. He replied that it is great if you like crappy locker rooms and showers that only have cold water. I had thought Kelly was just being a jerk, but maybe not.
10-27-2008 05:38 AM
EagleWarrior Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
IULurker Wrote:Brian Kelly once made a similar comment. If I remember correctly, he was asked what it felt like to play a game in such a great stadium as the Glass Bowl. He replied that it is great if you like crappy locker rooms and showers that only have cold water. I had thought Kelly was just being a jerk, but maybe not.
No, you`re correct.....Kelly is a jerk!...05-stirthepot
10-27-2008 05:41 AM
Arrohead Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
The visitor's lockerroom at Toledo is a dump! Couple that with many years of bad memories at the Glass Bowl and I can see why Jones would make this comment. I feel the same way. HA
10-27-2008 08:42 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
In my 50 plus years of hanging around UT I've never been there but I hear its bad. OF course it was the home locker room at one time. A UT athletic staff member was telling me that lousy visitor conditions are the norm in the MAC and elsewhere, although he was referring to hoops. Our home locker rooms were ancient and awful when I ran track there. The stadium, on the other hand, is a jewel unless you equate old with dumpy.
10-27-2008 09:00 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
BroncoMD Wrote:Unfortunately, I can't say this was a direct quote from CMU coach Butch Jones but according to the CMU analyst in from the locker room, Jones told his team:

05-nono
The game was 2 weeks ago. Put CMU out of your mind and move on.
10-27-2008 09:25 AM
victory engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: ']['emple
where is the post about this huge game and the empty stadium...?
10-27-2008 09:37 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
cmufanatic Wrote:

05-nono
The game was 2 weeks ago. Put CMU out of your mind and move on.

I thought the CMU-Toledo game was 2 days ago?
10-27-2008 10:16 AM
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
victory engineer Wrote:where is the post about this huge game and the empty stadium...?

21,000 for a football game is really empty for the glass bowl.
10-27-2008 10:59 AM
Arrohead Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
utpotts Wrote:
victory engineer Wrote:where is the post about this huge game and the empty stadium...?

Come on potts, if there were 21,000 there then the CMU/WMU came had 60,000.
10-27-2008 11:01 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
Arrohead Wrote:
utpotts Wrote:

Come on potts, if there were 21,000 there then the CMU/WMU came had 60,000.

I'm just stating what was in the Box Score.
10-27-2008 11:25 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Only in the MAC will people quibble about the differences in 17k vs. 20k vs. 22 k, all in a division of D-1 football where 30k is really a slight crowd.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2008 11:40 AM by axeme.)
10-27-2008 11:39 AM
Advertisement

Karl Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

You just made it. Happy now?
10-27-2008 12:58 PM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
H2Oville Rocket Wrote:In my 50 plus years of hanging around UT I've never been there but I hear its bad. OF course it was the home locker room at one time. A UT athletic staff member was telling me that lousy visitor conditions are the norm in the MAC and elsewhere, although he was referring to hoops. Our home locker rooms were ancient and awful when I ran track there. The stadium, on the other hand, is a jewel unless you equate old with dumpy.

I've never been inside that visitor locker room either, but I've heard it's a pit too. It's in the northeast tower of the stadium, part of the original 1930s construction. I doubt the facilities in there are much better now than they've ever been.
10-27-2008 12:59 PM
Dayons_Den Offline
2nd String

I Root For: B.G.S.U.
H2Oville Rocket Wrote:The stadium, on the other hand, is a jewel unless you equate old with dumpy.

See, you may point to my allegiances for the nature of this comment but to me the Glass Bowl is maybe 1/2 of a good stadium.

The visitor's side does not qualify as nice. The concessions stands are caged in with chain linked fences giving a less than welcoming feel. That home side with the big press tower is sharp and has decent area on the concourse to move around in comparison. Also, from having covered games from the press box I can say it isn't wired very well. I think if they had built the press tower a few seasons later they would have had the foresight for better wiring.

Turn around and rip me for this but just remember I am not comparing the GB against any specific stadium, I am comparing it against the statement that it is a "jewel" of a facility.
10-27-2008 05:46 PM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
I can't comment to the wiring of the press box, though I've had no issues with it. The comments about the east side are right on the money, imo. Some upgrading there needs to be done.
10-27-2008 08:02 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Dayons_Den Wrote:I am comparing it against the statement that it is a "jewel" of a facility.

"Jewel" in the sense of asthetics and history moreso than in terms of amenities although its not bad for a MAC stadium in those areas either. The natural design elements, with the bowl setting, towers, rock wall and rock "teeth" topping the wall; the fact that it was built by the WPA and yet translated into a much more modern look quite nicely, the fact that it is not a "cookie cutter" look- I've not seen anything close, design-wise- and its age and history all contribute to make it a unique place to watch a football game.
10-28-2008 05:13 AM
victory engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: ']['emple
Karl Wrote:

You just made it. Happy now?

Thank you...
10-28-2008 08:07 AM
CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies

You'll fall to your knees this week and beg for forgiveness. Then it's right back to what you were doing on your knees in the first place.
10-29-2008 09:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.