Open TigerLinks

GIANT spider snapped eating bird
Bookmark and Share
BlueTigr01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
GIANT spider snapped eating bird
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,245...60,00.html

THIS amazing image of a mammoth spider devouring a bird was taken in the backyard of a property near Cairns.

The image, which is being cirulated via email worldwide, is real, according to wildlife experts, The Cairns Post reported.

The photo, believed to have been taken earlier this week, shows the spider clenching its legs around a lifeless bird trapped in a web at a property near Atherton, west of Cairns.

Joel Shakespeare, the head spider keeper at NSW's Australian Reptile Park, has told ninemsn the spider was a golden orb weaver.

"Normally they prey on large insects, it's unusual to see one eating a bird," he said.

Mr Shakepeare said he had seen golden orb weaver spiders as big as a human hand but the northern species in tropical areas were known to grow larger.

Mr Shakespeare told ninemsn the bird, a chestnut-breasted mannikin which appears frozen in an angel-like pose in the pictures, is likely to have flown into the web and got caught.

"It wouldn't eat the whole bird," he said.
04-jawdrop
[Image: 0,,6313710,00.jpg][Image: 117811.jpg]
[Image: 117791.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 11:28 AM by BlueTigr01.)
10-24-2008 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
RE: Giant spider snapped eating bird
wish I wouldn't have looked.........
10-24-2008 10:31 AM
IBleedBlue Offline
Something.

I Root For: TigrsBravesGriz
Looks like I'm never making plans to visit Australia!
10-24-2008 10:34 AM
Advertisement

georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
A bird in hand is worth two insects in the bush.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 10:44 AM by georgiatiger.)
10-24-2008 10:42 AM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
great, i'm going to have nightmares tonight now. why did I open a thread about spiders when I'm horribly afraid of spiders.
10-24-2008 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigerstriper Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: GIANT spider snapped eating bird
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhit no way will I ever walk under a tree and not think of this image. I have no problem stepping on a spider but you would need a bat to kill that nasty looking bitter. Can you imagine sitting on your couch and that thing creap up beside your head, or chasing you across the yard?
10-24-2008 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.