Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is recruiting FLwhy CMU and WMU
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Is recruiting FLwhy CMU and WMU
are doing so well with the skill players?
10-19-2008 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies
RE: Is recruiting FLwhy CMU and WMU
CMU recruits from Florida who are currently on the team and have played:

WR/KR/PR Antonio Brown; RBs Paris Cotton and Carl Volny; DBs Bobby Seay, Tony Mama, & Josh Wilkins; WR/KR Hannibal Beauford and WR Cedric Fraser. Brown's value is obvious. 04-rock Beauford, Seay, Volny, and Cotton have certainly been positive contributors this season. Mama has been a regular in our secondary since last season. Wilkins has played mostly on Special Teams. WR Cedric Fraser is listed on the two-deep, but I haven't seen him on the field yet. Freshman DE Kashawn Fraser has impressed coaches so far but hasn't played that position much yet, mostly sepcial teams. Also departed RB Marcel Archer (left team for other athletic pursuits, I believe) was a solid backup for a couple of seasons.

As for our other skill players? LeFevour and Sneed (IL); Anderson, Pitts, Bockheim, Skergan, Weaver and Hoskins (MI); Poblah (Quebec), Brunner (WI). Draw your own conclusions, but I'd say most of our arsenal has come from the MidWest, with a few gems like Brown (FL), and DB Josh Gordy (GA) plucked from the South.
10-19-2008 10:05 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I'm awaiting a Western poster.

I think for Western it is:

Florida, Florida, Florida... to quote Tim Russert.
10-19-2008 10:25 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
MAC has to start recuriting out of footprint, Ohio can not feed 8 schools & Mich 5. Northeast, Canda, Floirda & Texas are all spots MAC can look into. Maybe UMass for FB only would really help in NE.
10-19-2008 02:03 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
templefootballfan Wrote:MAC has to start recuriting out of footprint, Ohio can not feed 8 schools & Mich 5. Northeast, Canda, Floirda & Texas are all spots MAC can look into. Maybe UMass for FB only would really help in NE.

Boise State is a school that has done well out of Canada in the past, not many D-1a caliber skill players but a lot of o-line prospects. Many of them will be projects due to the fact that they have not received as good as coaching as you get in US high schools, but it is better than a guy who has been coached in American football his entire life and is still not that good.
10-19-2008 02:25 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
I like that you suggest Texas and Florida, as if they don't have a ton of schools themselves.
10-19-2008 02:34 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Of WMU’s most visible offensive skill positions, only Simmons is from Michigan. Hiller (OH), Nunez (FL), Julien (FL), Ledbetter (FL), West (GA) all hail from out of state. On defense, the secondary includes Biggers (FL), Delmas (FL), Fryar (NJ), and Wilson (IL).

There have been articles written in Florida newspapers, including the Miami Herald that talk about the wealth of D1 talent in Florida and the fact that WMU and CMU have the most Florida players on their rosters of any non-Florida FBS teams. Bill Cubit has long established recruiting ties to many coaches in Florida going back to his days as an assistant coach in that state and recruiting it.

It is reasonable to say that much of the success lately under Cubit with skill position players has been achieved with players from Florida and Georgia. Along with 34 Michigan kids, WMU has 19 from Florida, 13 from Illinois, 9 from Georgia, 9 from Wisconsin among the largest groups from other states.

During Cubit's first year turnaround, Greg Jennings and Tony Scheffler were Michigan products and Ryan Cubit was from (?) many places, due to dads vagabond career. They were recruited during Darnell's tenure.
10-19-2008 04:57 PM
JBurton Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ball State
For what it's worth... Ball State has been recruiting the South under Hoke. The following is a list of BSU southern players:

Texas:
Kelly Page - Sunnyvale, Texas (Mesquite)
Kyle Hoke - Sugar Land, Texas (Clements)

Georgia:
Trey Buice - Stone Mountain, Ga. (Tucker)
Koreen Burch - Broxton, Ga. (Coffee)
Rashaad White - Rex, Ga. (Stockbridge)
Spain Cosby - Carrollton, Ga. (Villa Rica)
Ben Jacoby - Lawrenceville, Ga. (Buford)
Andre Ramsey - Cordele, Ga. (Crisp County)
Jeremy Hill - Marietta, Ga (Marietta)
Justin Woodard - LaGrange, Ga. (Troup County)

Florida:
Brendan Choy - Bradenton, Fla. (Lakewood Ranch)
Kaylon Woods - Jacksonville, Fla. (First Coast)
Rene Perry - Lake City, Fla. (Columbia)
10-19-2008 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Online
Legend

This thread suggests that these teams have been able to very effectively expand their recruiting maps.

Did Hoke recruit TX for UofM?
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2008 09:30 PM by emu steve.)
10-19-2008 09:26 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Big "O" dig a little deeper
10-19-2008 09:40 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
OZoner Wrote:I like that you suggest Texas and Florida, as if they don't have a ton of schools themselves.

Its not how many schools you have in a state that is important, its how much talent do you have per in-state school.

Also important is the # of BCS schools in a particular state.

Florida and Texas have 4 BCS schools and several non-BCS but they have a boat load of D1 talent, enough to fill 20 solid D1 recruiting classes every year.

A school like a Western Michigan can go into Florida, flash the MAC logo, and it many cases out recruit SBC or CUSA schools.

Could a Houston or a Florida Atlantic come into Michigan and pull a recruit away from WMU/CMU? The answer is F-no.
10-19-2008 10:11 PM
Advertisement

UBBULLS10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UB Bulls
T. Gill's recruiting classes have had a lot of Texas kids in them. We now have seven guys from the Lone Star State.

UB also has two starters and a nickel CB from Florida.
10-20-2008 12:51 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

MileHighBronco Wrote:Of WMU’s most visible offensive skill positions, only Simmons is from Michigan. Hiller (OH), Nunez (FL), Julien (FL), Ledbetter (FL), West (GA) all hail from out of state. On defense, the secondary includes Biggers (FL), Delmas (FL), Fryar (NJ), and Wilson (IL).

There have been articles written in Florida newspapers, including the Miami Herald that talk about the wealth of D1 talent in Florida and the fact that WMU and CMU have the most Florida players on their rosters of any non-Florida FBS teams. Bill Cubit has long established recruiting ties to many coaches in Florida going back to his days as an assistant coach in that state and recruiting it.

It is reasonable to say that much of the success lately under Cubit with skill position players has been achieved with players from Florida and Georgia. Along with 34 Michigan kids, WMU has 19 from Florida, 13 from Illinois, 9 from Georgia, 9 from Wisconsin among the largest groups from other states.

During Cubit's first year turnaround, Greg Jennings and Tony Scheffler were Michigan products and Ryan Cubit was from (?) many places, due to dads vagabond career. They were recruited during Darnell's tenure.

This has got to be a Hall of Fame post for its insights and research. 04-bow
10-20-2008 10:54 AM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
emu steve Wrote:are doing so well with the skill players?

It takes more than just the talent at skilled positions and more than just Florida players.....it also takes coaching.

Toledo has the talent at skilled positions, especially on offense, but doesn't have the coaching and it has been showing on the field.

Toledo has several kids from Florida on our roster, and several of our skilled position players were 3 star prospects and/or had good BCS offers. Yet we can't score a friggin' point on offense and are just 2-5 after two straight 5-7 seasons.
10-20-2008 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
tcufrog86 Wrote:
templefootballfan Wrote:MAC has to start recuriting out of footprint, Ohio can not feed 8 schools & Mich 5. Northeast, Canda, Floirda & Texas are all spots MAC can look into. Maybe UMass for FB only would really help in NE.

Boise State is a school that has done well out of Canada in the past, not many D-1a caliber skill players but a lot of o-line prospects. Many of them will be projects due to the fact that they have not received as good as coaching as you get in US high schools, but it is better than a guy who has been coached in American football his entire life and is still not that good.

They've also done well by working Cal, MD & NJ hard to get the skilled players and Dbackfield they need. Now their getting into Texas. They will be very tough for other WAC programs to knock off their perch and could be an annual BCS bowl contender.
10-20-2008 06:06 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
onlinepole Wrote:
tcufrog86 Wrote:

They've also done well by working Cal, MD & NJ hard to get the skilled players and Dbackfield they need. Now their getting into Texas. They will be very tough for other WAC programs to knock off their perch and could be an annual BCS bowl contender.

The way its going actually, Boise State may find itself in the Mountain West as that conference continues its climb toward a BCS bid.

Boise's attendance would be in the upper half of the MWC behind BYU, Utah, and Air Force playing in the MWC. They would probably be able to maintain their performance level much like TCU has from its move from CUSA to the MWC. They pretty much carry Idaho and would give the MWC another state argument for BCS inclusion.
10-20-2008 07:24 PM
Advertisement

onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU
JBurton Wrote:For what it's worth... Ball State has been recruiting the South under Hoke. The following is a list of BSU southern players:

Texas:

Georgia:

Florida:

BSU is also starting to work Missouri, 2 of it's current verbals from the Show Me State. This is a state close to the MAC footprint that has considerable talent which is starting to manifest itself in Columbia, MO.
10-22-2008 05:57 PM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

I Root For: NIU
onlinepole Wrote:
JBurton Wrote:For what it's worth... Ball State has been recruiting the South under Hoke. The following is a list of BSU southern players:

Texas:

Georgia:

Florida:

BSU is also starting to work Missouri, 2 of it's current verbals from the Show Me State. This is a state close to the MAC footprint that has considerable talent which is starting to manifest itself in Columbia, MO.

Stay out of the huskies recruiting territory!

We're starting to look westward also. We've had some good relationships with Minnesota (1 BCS team), Wisconsin (1 BCS Team), & Iowa (2 BCS teams). Now we are expanding into Kansas, Missouri, & Oklahoma. We snag an occasional player from Texas/Florida, but with the new coaching staff who knows what direction they are headed in. Me'co Brown is from Mississippi.

The problem is when you start looking outside of your borders, you let gems like Dan LeFevour get away. He played HS ball less than 50 miles away from DeKalb.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 07:38 AM by numbersdontlie.)
10-24-2008 07:37 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Certainly the MAC needs to have a bigger footprint, the demographics demand it. Mich is actually losing population, Ohio's has remained essentially the same for years. While that's a coarse evaluation, it does seem as though the MAC states have a tough time filling so many rosters.

Another factor is the number of small schools in the state. Mt Union, Findlay, Baldwin Wallace, John Carrol, Dayton...all of those schools take their toll on MAC recruiting. Each school probably has 1-2 players/class that could contribute to a MAC team. That adds up, and makes a difference.

However, your choice of places to recruit has some flaws. Florida now has 7 Div IA schools alone, and TX leads the nation w/ 9...nearby LA has 5.
MA and most of the NE doesn't take HS football seriously, so there isn't much talent to be mined there. Look how badly Syracuse does, and BC isn't exactly a perennial powerhouse, despite being the exclusive Div IA school in 6 New England states.

I would recommend looking at Arizona, Tennessee (look at MTSUs success) and the Mountain West states. But no matter where, you have to have some plan. The internet is now rife with information, so talent can be identified prior to long, expensive trips.
10-24-2008 08:15 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

Torch:

What I think happens is that a strong MAC team, with coaching contacts, good national exposure can move into these areas outside the midwest.

This seems to be the story of WMU/CMU/BSU.

Would a kid in Florida rather play for FIU or FL. Atl or WMU or CMU?

This is one of the reasons why national TV is SO important. Schools like CMU/WMU/BSU, etc. now have become national "brand names".

Just look at the NATIONAL expsoure CMU has gotten with the MACC, MCB, last month's game vs. Purdue (BTN televised it), game last week vs WMU.

These were awesome games for CMU.

Can ANY SBC school match that?

How about MOST of C-USA??
10-24-2008 10:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.