CNBC reporting that talks are in the works for a merger...more to come
10-10-2008 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

West Is the Best Offline
All American

I Root For: C-USA
RE: GM and Chrysler to merge?
Fo Shizzle Wrote:CNBC reporting that talks are in the works for a merger...more to come

Exploring a merger. Big difference.

GM does not need Chryler's problems. I look for a foreign company to step in as Chrysler has explored options with foreign companies. Maybe Renault, Tata, Chery or Geely.
10-10-2008 10:04 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
West Is the Best Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:CNBC reporting that talks are in the works for a merger...more to come

GM does not need Chryler's problems. I look for a foreign company to step in as Chrysler has explored options with foreign companies. Maybe Renault, Tata, Chery or Geely.

CNBC still saying this in not BS. They say even though GM has just said that talks have been suspended due to economic conditions...that in fact they are still ongoing. Insiders report this has been going on for over a month....We will see.
10-10-2008 10:08 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
Fo Shizzle Wrote:
West Is the Best Wrote:

CNBC still saying this in not BS. They say even though GM has just said that talks have been suspended due to economic conditions...that in fact they are still ongoing. Insiders report this has been going on for over a month....We will see.

I fail to see the advantage of this for either company. Neither of them are selling anything and their union obligations are crippling any ability they have to right the ship.

The need to declare bankruptcy, get rid of their union obligations and then rebuild the company. The unions would fold like a cheap suit if presented with no job or a job without the unions.
10-10-2008 10:37 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
Ninerfan1 Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:
West Is the Best Wrote:

I fail to see the advantage of this for either company. Neither of them are selling anything and their union obligations are crippling any ability they have to right the ship.

The need to declare bankruptcy, get rid of their union obligations and then rebuild the company. The unions would fold like a cheap suit if presented with no job or a job without the unions.

I tend to agree...I can't see an upside for this. The Union problem is killing the automakers....Could they be considering a move South to a "right to work state"?
10-10-2008 10:44 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Ninerfan1 Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:
West Is the Best Wrote:

Its pretty hard to do that in Chapter 11 any more thanks to Frank Lorenzo and Continental back in the mid-80's using the Bankruptcy Court to demolish their union contracts.
10-10-2008 10:50 PM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
I see no advantage for either company here. It'd work about as well as the Sears KMART merger... 2 dying companies join just so they'll have someone to share the hearse ride with.
10-10-2008 11:17 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
WMD Owl Wrote:
Ninerfan1 Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:
West Is the Best Wrote:

Its pretty hard to do that in Chapter 11 any more thanks to Frank Lorenzo and Continental back in the mid-80's using the Bankruptcy Court to demolish their union contracts.

As a member of management I've taken many, many union busting courses/classes. You can't threaten union members with their jobs. What they need to do is simply enter into a negotiation with the unions, dealing from a position of strength, and demand that they reform so they can be more competitive with Japan. When the unions realize this will kill them they'll go on strike. GM can then argue they negotiated in good faith and can legally bring in replacement workers. It's at that point you cut the union's nuts off and shove them down their collective throats.

Remember what the union strike did to Eastern Airlines?
10-10-2008 11:20 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
West Is the Best Wrote:

If they merged they would produce a vehicle that is a POS BUT has a long bumper-to-Bumper Warranty (for obvious reasons).

How much did Diamler- Benz lose in their merger with Chrysler? They sold them out for next to nothing to a equity firm.
10-10-2008 11:21 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
WMD Owl Wrote:
West Is the Best Wrote:

If they merged they would produce a vehicle that is a POS BUT has a long bumper-to-Bumper Warranty (for obvious reasons).

How much did Diamler- Benz lose in their merger with Chrysler? They sold them out for next to nothing to a equity firm.

Maybe they are planning to get a government bailout and unveil a new minivan. Chrysler pulled this trick before.03-lmfao
10-11-2008 12:05 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
smn1256 Wrote:
WMD Owl Wrote:
Ninerfan1 Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:
West Is the Best Wrote:

As a member of management I've taken many, many union busting courses/classes. You can't threaten union members with their jobs. What they need to do is simply enter into a negotiation with the unions, dealing from a position of strength, and demand that they reform so they can be more competitive with Japan. When the unions realize this will kill them they'll go on strike. GM can then argue they negotiated in good faith and can legally bring in replacement workers. It's at that point you cut the union's nuts off and shove them down their collective throats.

Remember what the union strike did to Eastern Airlines?
Ever think that if the US car companies actually made quality cars they wouldn't have to "cut the union's nuts off and shove them down their collective throats"? The failure is company wide not one side or the others.
10-11-2008 12:18 AM
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

RobertN Wrote:Ever think that if the US car companies actually made quality cars they wouldn't have to "cut the union's nuts off and shove them down their collective throats"? The failure is company wide not one side or the others.

GM makes very good cars. But their union obligations are killing them. Same with the major airlines. The pension and benefit guarantees alone are in the billions.

Toyota has no unions, pays their workers very well and makes money hand over fist, even in down economies.

Unions are antiquated relics of the past.
10-11-2008 08:10 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
There would be few synergies here, unless GM puts their engines, transmissions, and frames under Chrysler's bodies.

GM Chrysler, and Ford need to press the unions to back of on the pension and health care benefits so all can survive.
10-11-2008 08:15 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Totally amazing what we do to sell out our fellow man. They even take courses in it. Management makes sure they have their parachutes. Screw they guy who actually does the job.
10-11-2008 08:15 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Without unions we wouldn't have a middle class. Maybe that's what you guys are after. That's why I get so pissed when a union worker votes Republican. Here Republicans are trying.... dreaming of cutting members nuts off and their f'in stupid enough to vote for them.
10-11-2008 08:19 AM
Machiavelli Offline

and another thing. Most of the industrialized countries we compete with have nationalized health care. Rick Waggoner said that's the MAIN REASON foreign car makers have a 3000 dollar advantage a car.
10-11-2008 08:21 AM
Advertisement

jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
I just checked Consumer Reports, and out of roughly 35 cars rated best in class, for categories ranging from fuel efficiency to fun to drive, a grand total of one American car company was represented. The Chevy Silverado 1500 won for best full size pick up, a category where they are practically having to give cars away right now. Union obligations don't help (if only people would die right after they retire like they're supposed to - it'd help with Social Security too) but I have to think that's the biggest problem right there. The quality of the American cars just don't match up.
10-11-2008 08:33 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Yep the line worker better get damn busy redesigning the plans for 2010 models. Ohh wait that's management too busy dreaming of cutting off nuts instead of doing their jobs.
10-11-2008 08:47 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
One of the components of Detroit's problems is government regulation of the industry. No industry has to put up with the constant meddling that the auto industry has to deal with. Thousands upon thousands of dollars are added to the cost of each vehicle to meet the all the government mandates. Add the costs of the bloated union contracts, overpaid upper management and government regulation together and you have the result....An overpriced, poorly designed and manufactured product that is not competitive in the market place.

Detroit needs a total makeover and the government needs to let the consumer decide what they want...not have it foisted on them by bureaucrats.
10-11-2008 09:26 AM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

Machiavelli Wrote:Without unions we wouldn't have a middle class.

This is a patently untrue statement. Barely 7% of the workforce are unionized.

Quote:Maybe that's what you guys are after.

Exactly. It's part of the grand conspiracy. We have meetings and secret handshakes as well.01-wingedeagle

Quote:That's why I get so pissed when a union worker votes Republican. Here Republicans are trying.... dreaming of cutting members nuts off and their f'in stupid enough to vote for them.

No, republicans are dreaming of shoring up 3 huge employers in this country. The fact is unions are outdated and useless today. They served a purpose when there weren't a mountain of laws that protected the worker. Now all they are good for is ensuring people who aren't qualified to keep their jobs do as well as providing exorbitant pension and healthcare to any worker that ever passed through their ranks. The costs are killing America automakers.

You want to kill the middle class, you let GM, Ford and Chrysler go under because of those unions. Then come crying about it.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2008 10:37 AM by Ninerfan1.)
10-11-2008 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.