Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bad Grammar
West Is the Best Offline
All American

I Root For: C-USA
Bad Grammar
It is amazing the number of college grads that I interview each year that lack basic grammar skills. It crosses all races with some worse than others. And it's not just in conversation, they show the same lack of basic skills in their wrttem documents. How do these kids graduate from high school and college lacking such basic skills? We are taking about the most basic of gramar skills. If I hear one more person say "I seen" instead of "I saw" I'll scream. That and people who don't know the difference between past tense and future tense or the difference between "your" and "you're" or "there", "their" or "they're". There are a few posters on our board that consistently make the same mistakes. They clearly have no idea of their mistakes.

It's one thing when a kid wants to blend in with his peers and exhibits such behavior, but most kids know that outisde of their peer group they must exhibit appropriate behavior. I feel sorry for these individuals as this lack of basic skills will limit their career options. Our company will not hire such individuals that lack basic communication skills.

And don't get me started on mispronunication of words. If the word is spelled "ask" it is not pronounced as if it was spelled "axe". And if the word ends with the letter "D" it is not pronounced as if it ends with the letter "T". It is "red" not "ret".
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2008 04:09 PM by West Is the Best.)
10-08-2008 03:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Bad Grammar
I blame the innerwebs.
10-08-2008 03:09 PM
Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
If anyone doubts what West is saying then listen to a college educated pro athlete speak - preferably football or basketball.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2008 03:17 PM by smn1256.)
10-08-2008 03:17 PM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Here's my take:

Two main problems

One:

We have main streamed everyone. Remember when we went to school. You had the LD classes. Those kids washed the dishes in the cafeteria. Helped out the janitors. Well, now they are in the regular classroom.

Two:

Every kid is required 4 years of English, Three years of science. Three years of math. OGT TESTS.

When I went to school freshman science was the only required science. You had to EARN the right to take biology and the higher sciences after that. Now we require every Johnny ******* and Susie Slapstick to take three science classes.

What do you think has happened to standards in the classroom? We have dumbed down everything to meet a minimum standard. If you flunk too many kids in a required course there are ramifications. If it's a jr. hi class or an elective. If the kids fail they are passed on anyways. It's a f'd up world.
10-08-2008 03:25 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Machiavelli Wrote:Here's my take:

Two main problems

One:

We have main streamed everyone. Remember when we went to school. You had the LD classes. Those kids washed the dishes in the cafeteria. Helped out the janitors. Well, now they are in the regular classroom.

Two:

Every kid is required 4 years of English, Three years of science. Three years of math. OGT TESTS.

When I went to school freshman science was the only required science. You had to EARN the right to take biology and the higher sciences after that. Now we require every Johnny ******* and Susie Slapstick to take three science classes.

What do you think has happened to standards in the classroom? We have dumbed down everything to meet a minimum standard. If you flunk too many kids in a required course there are ramifications. If it's a jr. hi class or an elective. If the kids fail they are passed on anyways. It's a f'd up world.

So, Political Correctness is screwing up our schools and our children. You don't say. I wonder why we homeschool our children?
10-08-2008 03:28 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Much of it is a need to assimilate into the common culture.(ie. danglin' your participals, droppin' ur g's) If your grammar is perfect, it may cause you to be an outcast even among people who look like you.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2008 03:54 PM by firmbizzle.)
10-08-2008 03:54 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

firmbizzle Wrote:Much of it is a need to assimilate into the common culture.(ie. danglin' your participals, droppin' ur g's) If your grammar is perfect, it may cause you to be an outcast even among people who look like you.

Sadly, this perpetuates the problem.
10-08-2008 04:06 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
GrayBeard Wrote:

Two main problems

One:

Two:

So, Political Correctness is screwing up our schools and our children. You don't say. I wonder why we homeschool our children?

You beat me to it, Graybeard!

Every "professional educator" thinks they're going to save the world by ensuring that each student has read James Joyce and knows how great Simon Bolivar was. Many skip the basics of grammar to ensure that lots of PC material is covered. Many others take approaches to teaching that would confuse an Oxford professor!
10-08-2008 04:15 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Not just bad grammar....but...also lack of basic skills. I work in an industry where measurement skills are critical to almost all jobs. I have a piece of wood in my desk drawer that is exactly 8 13/16 in length. When I am interviewing people for a position, I hand them the wood and a tape and ask them to tell me how long the wood is. It is a very rare occurrence that anyone ever gives me the correct answer. If they can get to within a 1/6, I figure I can teach them.

I'm constantly amazed by the lack of this basic skill....Is this not taught in school anymore?
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2008 05:02 PM by Fo Shizzle.)
10-08-2008 05:01 PM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
Fo Shizzle Wrote:Not just bad grammar....but...also lack of basic skills. I work in an industry where measurement skills are critical to almost all jobs. I have a piece of wood in my desk drawer that is exactly 8 13/16 in length. When I am interviewing people for a position, I hand them the wood and a tape and ask them to tell me how long the wood is. It is a very rare occurrence that anyone ever gives me the correct answer. If they can get to within a 1/6, I figure I can teach them.

I'm constantly amazed by the lack of this basic skill....Is this not taught in school anymore?

No they cut wood shop to increase the football budget.
10-08-2008 05:29 PM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

CrappiesCrappies
Rebel Wrote:I blame the innerwebs.

Its webbernets BTW. 02-13-banana
10-08-2008 05:29 PM
Advertisement

RockyMtnRamfan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Colorado State
Another Bush legacy.
10-08-2008 06:09 PM
tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
RockyMtnRamfan Wrote:Another Bush legacy.

"Well ... there you go again" !

Who dat , say dat ??
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dey jes do what dey do ! !
http://chicagoagainstobama.wordpress.com...candidate/

Just be glad you may live where you don't have to understand a "Foreign Language" that's suppose to sound like English. The NBA/NFL references are correct. "It is, what it is" ... pathetic !

Is there any doubt who the ones in the video will be voting for. "The unknowing being led by the unscrupulous" .
10-08-2008 06:27 PM
tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
DrTorch Wrote:
GrayBeard Wrote:

Two main problems

One:

Two:

You beat me to it, Graybeard!

Every "professional educator" thinks they're going to save the world by ensuring that each student has read James Joyce and knows how great Simon Bolivar was. Many skip the basics of grammar to ensure that lots of PC material is covered. Many others take approaches to teaching that would confuse an Oxford professor!

Thank you National Education Association !

Another collection of weak sisters and brothers. No wonder people are home schooling and paying to send their children to private schools which is, essentially, double taxation.
10-08-2008 06:31 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
Tulsaman Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:Not just bad grammar....but...also lack of basic skills. I work in an industry where measurement skills are critical to almost all jobs. I have a piece of wood in my desk drawer that is exactly 8 13/16 in length. When I am interviewing people for a position, I hand them the wood and a tape and ask them to tell me how long the wood is. It is a very rare occurrence that anyone ever gives me the correct answer. If they can get to within a 1/6, I figure I can teach them.

No they cut wood shop to increase the football budget.

+1....I got pissed off my city school board for reducing the grade standard from a C to a D to be able to participate in athletics at our HS. I had people all over town to thank me for my efforts and pledged to come to the SB meeting with me and protest. When I stood and spoke...I was the only damn one that came to object. Of course they totally ignored me and did what the hell they wanted to do. People really dont give a damn. The apathy is sickening...as is the government education system.
10-08-2008 06:41 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Fo Shizzle Wrote:+1....I got pissed off my city school board for reducing the grade standard from a C to a D to be able to participate in athletics at our HS. I had people all over town to thank me for my efforts and pledged to come to the SB meeting with me and protest. When I stood and spoke...I was the only damn one that came to object. Of course they totally ignored me and did what the hell they wanted to do. People really dont give a damn. The apathy is sickening...as is the government education system.

Why is yu caring? Thees dayz schoolz am be meat markets dat just move the stoodents along to the next grade so the teachers and school districts meet there numbers. But they be proud of there fooball teems.

Fo, even though we're 3000 miles apart I think we both agree the public school system is a colossal failure. I would argue that classrooms are diluted down with students who really don't belong in that specific grade or don't understand English. With the pressure schools are getting to pass everyone all they can do is teach down to the lowest common level and then make them someone else's problem. You can't teach algebra to a person who still can't add and subtract.

NO student should be allowed to progress to the next grade until he/she is proven to be proficient in the class they're currently taking.
10-08-2008 06:56 PM
Advertisement

Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

CrappiesCrappies
smn1256 Wrote:NO student should be allowed to progress to the next grade until he/she is proven to be proficient in the class they're currently taking.

this is part of the problem. standardized tests cause this mess. Instead of teaching the information that you all learned in school, they teach how to take the tests.

and if i have any grammar errors blame the system not me. I'm only doing what they taught me. 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2008 07:08 PM by Tulsaman.)
10-08-2008 07:08 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
smn1256 Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:+1....I got pissed off my city school board for reducing the grade standard from a C to a D to be able to participate in athletics at our HS. I had people all over town to thank me for my efforts and pledged to come to the SB meeting with me and protest. When I stood and spoke...I was the only damn one that came to object. Of course they totally ignored me and did what the hell they wanted to do. People really dont give a damn. The apathy is sickening...as is the government education system.

Why is yu caring? Thees dayz schoolz am be meat markets dat just move the stoodents along to the next grade so the teachers and school districts meet there numbers. But they be proud of there fooball teems.

Fo, even though we're 3000 miles apart I think we both agree the public school system is a colossal failure. I would argue that classrooms are diluted down with students who really don't belong in that specific grade or don't understand English. With the pressure schools are getting to pass everyone all they can do is teach down to the lowest common level and then make them someone else's problem. You can't teach algebra to a person who still can't add and subtract.

NO student should be allowed to progress to the next grade until he/she is proven to be proficient in the class they're currently taking.

My mom taught in the PS system for 32 years...It was different for most of her career...She was allowed to innovate and be creative in her teaching methods and loved her job .. She noticed a drastic change around the time she retired in 88...The amount of silly ass bureaucratic BS that she suddenly had to spend classroom time with became intolerable. Suddenly she was faced with having to "PROVE" her abilities as professional although she had been teaching for close to 30 years!!!....UNF'ING believable!!!. This was when the public school system started its real decline. There are great teachers out there that know how to teach...but...are strapped by a bunch of morons with PHDs that never step a foot in a damn classroom.
10-08-2008 07:16 PM
dwr0109 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning
tigertom Wrote:

Who dat , say dat ??

Just be glad you may live where you don't have to understand a "Foreign Language" that's suppose to sound like English. The NBA/NFL references are correct. "It is, what it is" ... pathetic !
Is there any doubt who the ones in the video will be voting for. "The unknowing being led by the unscrupulous" .

Well since this is a college sports website. How many on here would like to see their alma maters toughen up the academic requirements for admission, and enforce much stricter standards in the classroom?

Like, refusing to allow athletes to play unless they meet much stricter academic standards throughout their careers.

If we did this, the talent levels of the football and basketball teams would plummet. There is no doubt about that. Many of the athletes carrying these teams would have never sniffed the grounds of these institutions if we didn't let them in for their athletic ability.

So, would you trade success in the revenue sports for more academically qualified athletes?
10-08-2008 08:07 PM
West Is the Best Offline
All American

I Root For: C-USA
dwr0109 Wrote:
tigertom Wrote:

Who dat , say dat ??

Well since this is a college sports website. How many on here would like to see their alma maters toughen up the academic requirements for admission, and enforce much stricter standards in the classroom?

Like, refusing to allow athletes to play unless they meet much stricter academic standards throughout their careers.

If we did this, the talent levels of the football and basketball teams would plummet. There is no doubt about that. Many of the athletes carrying these teams would have never sniffed the grounds of these institutions if we didn't let them in for their athletic ability.

So, would you trade success in the revenue sports for more academically qualified athletes?

Sounds good by me. If students aren't prepared for college they should not be in the classroom. Athelete or not.
10-08-2008 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.