Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it really gouging?
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Is it really gouging?
Is charging more for gas during periods of low supply gouging?...or...Is it just the marketplace responding to signals?

Id say the later.
09-13-2008 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
RE: Is it really gouging?
What if it is charging more based on a perception of limited supply? i.e. There is no way that the supply of gasoline was effected on Thursday from Ike. How about after 9/11? Seems like price gouging to me. I think a better interpretation would be how dealers were charging more than MSRP for Pontiac Solstice's when they came out due to demand outstripping demand.
09-13-2008 09:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GRPunk Offline
Beer Evangelist

I Root For: WMU
It seems like gouging to me because the hikes came before any real decrease in supply. It was based on a prediction of a decrease. It's not like they're going to lower the prices drastically to make up for it if there is never a real decrease in supply.
09-13-2008 09:41 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
blah Wrote:What if it is charging more based on a perception of limited supply? i.e. There is no way that the supply of gasoline was effected on Thursday from Ike. How about after 9/11? Seems like price gouging to me. I think a better interpretation would be how dealers were charging more than MSRP for Pontiac Solstice's when they came out due to demand outstripping demand.

Id say perception of limited supply "is" a market signal. The market is not always perfect...but..it does tend to shake out problems pretty well.
In fact...a dealer that chooses to price his product way out of market range, may well face ostracism later or may actually act unknowingly as a signal to the consumer to "decrease" consumption and thus increase supply in these times of shortage.
09-13-2008 07:30 PM
Advertisement

JxGx78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
It is just a price signal. F.A. Hayek laid out this case 60 years ago in the The Use of Knowledge in Society.

I would say that a spike in demand from people filling up their cars in the event of the worse-case scenario, and the reduction in supply from the shutting down of refineries laid to the price hikes. The rise in price was telling people to use less because gas is more precious today then a few days ago. Demand shifted up and supply shifted down its that simple.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2008 08:36 PM by JxGx78.)
09-13-2008 08:21 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
JxGx78 Wrote:It is just a price signal. F.A. Hayek laid out this case 60 years ago in the The Use of Knowledge in Society.

I would say that a spike in demand from people filling up there cars in the event of the worse-case scenario, and the reduction in supply from the shutting down of referrers laid to the price hikes. The rise in price was telling people to use less because gas is more precious today then a few days ago. Demand shifted up and supply shifted down its that simple.

There you go! +1 ...I agree totally with your assertion...and...Hayek's
09-13-2008 08:27 PM
perunapower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
You cannot seriously be okay with a $1.50/gal hike based on a false perception of gasoline shortages. This is a free market at it's worst.
09-14-2008 10:30 PM
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
no matter how you slice it $5.50 gas is gouging.
09-14-2008 10:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JxGx78 Offline
1st String

Gasoline demand is very price inelastic in the short-run (the only way to reduce demand is to drive less), and 20% of US capacity was shutdown for Ike. So we had a major reduction in the supply of a highly inelastic good, hmm what should have happened? I'm guessing a large increase in price to sufficiently reduce demand and attract new supplies to the market. What happened, a large increase in price to sufficiently reduce demand and attract new supplies to the market. Come on guys this ECON 101 stuff.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2008 11:29 PM by JxGx78.)
09-14-2008 11:22 PM
perunapower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
JxGx78 Wrote:Gasoline demand is very price inelastic in the short-run (the only way to reduce demand is to drive less), and 20% of US capacity was shutdown for Ike. So we had a major reduction in the supply of a highly inelastic good, hmm what should have happened? I'm guessing a large increase in price to sufficiently reduce demand and attract new supplies to the market. What happened, a large increase in price to sufficiently reduce demand and attract new supplies to the market. Come on guys this ECON 101 stuff.

Would you like to explain to me why prices in Texas only went up 5 cents, but some prices in Georgia and Tennessee went up about 30 times that amount? We're all aware of how supply and demand works, but this is not simply a supply issue. Many places saw a rise in gas prices before there could have even been a supply shortage. If this was only a supply issue, the massive spike in gas prices would have been nationwide, not just primarily in the Southeast.

[Image: gasprices.jpg]
There's 8/27/2008

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperatur...ft=A&tl=48
There's today.
09-15-2008 12:23 AM
Advertisement

JxGx78 Offline
1st String

perunapower Wrote:
JxGx78 Wrote:Gasoline demand is very price inelastic in the short-run (the only way to reduce demand is to drive less), and 20% of US capacity was shutdown for Ike. So we had a major reduction in the supply of a highly inelastic good, hmm what should have happened? I'm guessing a large increase in price to sufficiently reduce demand and attract new supplies to the market. What happened, a large increase in price to sufficiently reduce demand and attract new supplies to the market. Come on guys this ECON 101 stuff.

Would you like to explain to me why prices in Texas only went up 5 cents, but some prices in Georgia and Tennessee went up about 30 times that amount? We're all aware of how supply and demand works, but this is not simply a supply issue. Many places saw a rise in gas prices before there could have even been a supply shortage. If this was only a supply issue, the massive spike in gas prices would have been nationwide, not just primarily in the Southeast.

[Image: gasprices.jpg]
There's 8/27/2008

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperatur...ft=A&tl=48
There's today.
Texas is were gas is processed, and since there was a major pipeline line running through the southeast to the mid-west shutdown (more real and anticipated supply restrictions) Texas most likely doesn't have as severe shortage of gas.

As to the price going up 'before' a shortage. One way to think of prices is a rationing mechanism for goods and markets attempt to discount the future. So an anticipated shortage is just as real to the market as a real shortage. This is the same thing as a stock price moving on some news as opposed to the actual event. There was an anticipated reduced supply in a few days this make the gas currently in storage more valuable.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2008 06:59 AM by JxGx78.)
09-15-2008 06:44 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
perunapower Wrote:You cannot seriously be okay with a $1.50/gal hike based on a false perception of gasoline shortages. This is a free market at it's worst.

If people wish to avoid this type of situation, they should do as I do. I keep my vehicles filled up during hurricane season. No panic..No problem.
09-15-2008 06:54 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest

yes
09-15-2008 06:55 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
perunapower Wrote:You cannot seriously be okay with a $1.50/gal hike based on a false perception of gasoline shortages. This is a free market at it's worst.

I never understood the "gouging" problem. If a station raises its prices unrealistically, it will simply lose business. If a customer pays that prices...then the customer is an idiot.

If stations are doing it together, such that customers have no apparent choice, then that's collusion...and that's not the free market at all.

Collusion is bad. The gouging problem isn't a problem.
09-15-2008 07:29 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
DrTorch Wrote:

I never understood the "gouging" problem. If a station raises its prices unrealistically, it will simply lose business. If a customer pays that prices...then the customer is an idiot.

If stations are doing it together, such that customers have no apparent choice, then that's collusion...and that's not the free market at all.

Collusion is bad. The gouging problem isn't a problem.

I already ostracism against local stations that have unusual high prices anyway. Dealers that choose to "jack up" prices way out of line with the rest of competition face further ostracism by consumers after the crisis is over.
09-15-2008 08:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.