Banned

I Root For: WV Mountaineers
BE apparently IS still looking at expansion
previously from animus...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08214/901121-233.stm

Commissioner to retire with Big East facing brighter future
Friday, August 01, 2008
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
NEWPORT, R.I. -- Michael Tranghese's retirement from his position as Big East commissioner is not a signal of troubled times ahead for the conference.

In fact, the opposite is true.

With the league strong and unified, a new set of lucrative television contracts in hand, soon to be completed new bowl agreements pending and a three-game BCS bowl winning streak, Tranghese believes the time is right for him to move on from the position he has held since 1990.

And while Tranghese has in many ways been the glue that has held the league together and has worked extremely hard to make sure the "basketball schools" and "football schools" stayed together -- he insists there is no sentiment at all for such a split.

"If I thought for one second there was even an iota of a chance of that happening, that there was trouble on the horizon, I wouldn't be leaving. I'd stay on and work through it," Tranghese said at the Big East's media day.

"I just think what we have and what we have built is something special. It is working, it is working well -- the only reason I am stepping down is I hate flying. But if I had to, I'd still be getting on planes.

"I feel it is a very good time to make a change because it is very quiet, it is very calm right now for the new person to come on board and get into things slowly. The political landscape changes every day, though, so you never know what will happen nine months from now, but the camaraderie in this league and the unity is something truly unique."

Tranghese said that the new commissioner will certainly have to continue to search for a ninth football member that makes sense, but he said it isn't likely to happen anytime soon because there aren't any teams out there that would "make the Big East better."

He also said the bowl deals are a big part of the new commissioner's first few months on the job because the league is looking to upgrade the level of their bowls.

As it stands the league has six bowl tie-ins (BCS, Gator/Sun, Meineke Car Care Bowl, Papajohns.com Bowl, St. Petersburg Bowl, International Bowl) but Tranghese said he expects those to change in the next two years when current contracts expire.

The fact that bowl game organizers are interested in making deals with the Big East is a sign of the progress the league has made since it was raided by the ACC four years ago.

"We have two more years to go with the current bowl games, but we've already begun to work on some things for the future," Tranghese said.

"I think it is incredible that we have a number of representatives from bowls that we are not aligned with here at this event and they all say the same thing. They want to check us out and see what we are all about."

Tranghese said the key to the Big East's quick rise back into prominence after losing three key football teams has been simple -- they've won and won big.

He points to the fact that the conference has won its past three BCS bowl games against champions from the SEC, the Big 12 and the ACC.

He talks about the number of big non-conference wins -- like South Florida's win at Auburn last year -- and its winning record in bowl games the past three seasons as clear signs the league is earning respect from even its harshest critics.

"We had to prove ourselves in the past, but we no longer have to prove ourselves," Tranghese said.

"We've proven we can play, we can play on any playing field and beat anybody. Now we just need to maintain that high level of consistency. And let's not forget we still have, what we believe, is the best basketball conference in the land."

Although the league is in a good place, there is no doubt that the choice of the next commissioner is critical to maintaining momentum. And picking a successor that will duplicate what Tranghese has done will not be easy.

"Michael was the first full-time employee this conference hired in 1979, and as such, he's been here from the start and nobody understands better what this league is about," said John Paquette, associate commissioner of the Big East. "The next person will have to be someone who understands that delicate balance between basketball and football members and making sure the interests of both are served.
"It has to be someone that understands who we are as a conference and where we are going."

Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson seconded that notion and said Tranghese's leadership will be missed greatly.

"There were basically two guys who deserve a lot of the credit for holding this conference together during the turmoil -- [Pitt chancellor] Mark Nordenberg and Michael Tranghese," Pederson said.

"Michael is very even keeled, he maintained a belief in a league he held dear to his heart. He never panicked. His leadership really is something we all take a cue from. And while he held it together and rebuilt this thing, it is up to the next guy to elevate it to the next level."

While the future of the Big East is bright, the future for Tranghese is not so clear, at least from where he is sitting.

"I'm not sure what I'll do, I guess I'll be looking for a job if you know anyone who is hiring," Tranghese said with a laugh.

"I haven't really thought much about it really. I have a lot of work that needs to be done before I leave."

Paul Zeise can be reached at pzeise@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1720.

As you can see from highlighted statements, the BE has been and is continuing to look for a 9th team, but not a split although he admits things can change.

This is interesting as many thought that Tranghese et al had shut that down.
08-07-2008 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: BE apparently IS still looking at expansion
Very good article. Good post.
08-07-2008 03:23 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Quote:Tranghese said that the new commissioner will certainly have to continue to search for a ninth football member that makes sense, but he said it isn't likely to happen anytime soon because there aren't any teams out there that would "make the Big East better."

-- from where I'm sitting...that means not adding current CUSA school(s)...

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 04:07 PM by Jackson1011.)
08-07-2008 04:07 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
You are correct.
08-07-2008 05:09 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Agreed, but who else there (realistically) besides C-USA snd MAC schools?
08-07-2008 05:19 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
That sound you just heard is TopCoog's head exploding.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 05:25 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-07-2008 05:22 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Murph1 Wrote:Agreed, but who else there (realistically) besides C-USA snd MAC schools?

Temple if they get their act together (which it seems like they are). Granted they're a MAC school now but they were originally a Big East/BCS program. And the Big East is locking up the Northeast with the ESPN, SNY and local television packages. Adding/re-adding Philadelphia makes sense. And they fit into the Pittsburgh/Cincinnati geographical area. Temple is the perfect 9th team (football-only) because they were already a 9th school so we don't have to worry about the rest of their sports, and they bring a huge market. Of course, it depends on whether they improve their facilities and dedication to athletics. They have a good coach and they're at least trying to improve attendance.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 06:36 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-07-2008 05:25 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
No CDOA (Conference Dead on Arrival) teams!!!
08-07-2008 05:46 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
It's funny how quickly things can change in college football. Watch UCF go 14-0 or watch Memphis or ECU go 12-2 and see what happens.
08-07-2008 06:20 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

3601 Wrote:It's funny how quickly things can change in college football. Watch UCF go 14-0 or watch Memphis or ECU go 12-2 and see what happens.

I doubt that will change anything. We'll see, but I really think the Big East presidents are looking for the perfect fit (strong athletics, strong academics, perfect fit). Last time the Big East expanded with their backs against the wall. This time the Big East holds all the cards.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 06:37 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-07-2008 06:35 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Exactly, the BE holds all the cards. People just don't get that, and think the BE needs to expand immediately. No one is holding a gun to the BE's head forcing them to expand, unlike last time around. Just sit back and see if anyone (non BCS) does in fact go 14-0. If it happens great, think about adding them. If not, don't worry about it. Let's also remember that the CDOA teams are competing on a much lower level, there are some decent CUSA teams but many poor ones too. 7 out of the 8 BE teams would have easily won CUSA last year, imo. Cuse may have contended for CUSA title.
08-07-2008 06:55 PM
Advertisement

Bambu Offline
Starving Artist

I Root For: Memphis
A lot of arrogance in this thread. And for sh!ts sake,you're looking for
(and finding) hidden meanings in an ex commissioner's words? A commish
that has been criticized for sleeping at the wheel?

Brilliant guys, really.

And I thought we were past the CDOA bullsh!t by now.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 07:17 PM by Bambu.)
08-07-2008 07:15 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Every time I see some one bring up the name of Temple over Memphis or ECU, I shudder. No one in Philly cares about Temple athletics. The Owls consider themselves a basketball school and average fewer than 5,000 fans at their games. No one can offer any evidence that Temple would bring the Philly market if they joined as a full conference member in the Big East or a spin-off conference.

Memphis, on the other hand, averaged over 14,000 per game and out drew Temple for football as well. BTW ECU that some many are quick to discount because of their basketball program also out drew Temple last season. There is no question that these schools control their markets. Games in their cities are a big deal.

You can make all the snide remarks you want to about CUSA, I don't share your disdain. I, like many others here, am realistic. NO one from the ACC or Big 10 is going to join the Big East. Not today, not tomorrow, not EVER. We can all stop holding our breath, jumping up and down while stomping our feet. Penn State, BC, Maryland or anyone else you folks up east can dream up ain't walking through that door. If we expand the team is going to come from CUSA. You might as well get used to that thought or be ready to go through another round of the Big East being cherry picked by the other BCS conferences.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 07:18 PM by CardinalJim.)
08-07-2008 07:16 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
I won't say the team has to come from CUSA. I think Temple is definitely a possibility. I personally would prefer UCF because it is another FLA destination. Bottom line is if 9 creates more revenue per team than 8 then BE will expand. I would like to see 10 in the conference to be honest. I really like the PAC-10 model.

I think NE and FLA have a lot in common, so those are the area where BE should look to expand.
08-07-2008 07:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
BullsFanInTX Wrote:No CDOA (Conference Dead on Arrival) teams!!!

Pot calling the kettle black?
08-07-2008 07:59 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Bambu Wrote:A lot of arrogance in this thread. And for sh!ts sake,you're looking for
(and finding) hidden meanings in an ex commissioner's words? A commish
that has been criticized for sleeping at the wheel?

Brilliant guys, really.

And I thought we were past the CDOA bullsh!t by now.

There isn't any arrogance in this board just reality. And the reality is the Big East isn't a desperate conference anymore, we can do what we want. I disagree with the CDOA crack though, but to each his own. I also disagree that schools like Memphis and ECU aren't "good enough" but, again, there's not a damn thing I can do about that.
08-07-2008 08:08 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

firmbizzle Wrote:
BullsFanInTX Wrote:No CDOA (Conference Dead on Arrival) teams!!!

Pot calling the kettle black?

What?
08-07-2008 08:08 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
CatsClaw Wrote:
3601 Wrote:It's funny how quickly things can change in college football. Watch UCF go 14-0 or watch Memphis or ECU go 12-2 and see what happens.

I doubt that will change anything. We'll see, but I really think the Big East presidents are looking for the perfect fit (strong athletics, strong academics, perfect fit). Last time the Big East expanded with their backs against the wall. This time the Big East holds all the cards.

Claw,

That would be Boston College. Now the question is, can the BE woo Boston College back?
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 10:10 PM by PirateMarv.)
08-07-2008 08:10 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

CardinalJim Wrote:Every time I see some one bring up the name of Temple over Memphis or ECU, I shudder. No one in Philly cares about Temple athletics. The Owls consider themselves a basketball school and average fewer than 5,000 fans at their games. No one can offer any evidence that Temple would bring the Philly market if they joined as a full conference member in the Big East or a spin-off conference.

Memphis, on the other hand, averaged over 14,000 per game and out drew Temple for football as well. BTW ECU that some many are quick to discount because of their basketball program also out drew Temple last season. There is no question that these schools control their markets. Games in their cities are a big deal.

You can make all the snide remarks you want to about CUSA, I don't share your disdain. I, like many others here, am realistic. NO one from the ACC or Big 10 is going to join the Big East. Not today, not tomorrow, not EVER. We can all stop holding our breath, jumping up and down while stomping our feet. Penn State, BC, Maryland or anyone else you folks up east can dream up ain't walking through that door. If we expand the team is going to come from CUSA. You might as well get used to that thought or be ready to go through another round of the Big East being cherry picked by the other BCS conferences.
CJ

I'm not picking Temple over ECU or Memphis at all. I would rather have those teams then Temple in All-Sports. But when you're talking football-only Temple is probably the best option right now unless Memphis comes out and says they want a football-only and they'll bring the Liberty Bowl with them. In regards to ECU, while I think they are a better pick for a football-only then Temple the Big East officials think otherwise (they look at the Philadelphia market). So, until we split, Temple is the best option.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2008 08:12 PM by CatsClaw.)
08-07-2008 08:11 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

SF Husky Wrote:I won't say the team has to come from CUSA. I think Temple is definitely a possibility. I personally would prefer UCF because it is another FLA destination. Bottom line is if 9 creates more revenue per team than 8 then BE will expand. I would like to see 10 in the conference to be honest. I really like the PAC-10 model.

I think NE and FLA have a lot in common, so those are the area where BE should look to expand.

I agree, I like the 10 team conference. 9 obviously would be ideal right now because of the balanced home and road conference schedule. 10 would be great.
08-07-2008 08:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.