Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A-Sun expansion
Bookmark and Share
LindysWriter Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JU
A-Sun expansion
With Gardner Webb out of the league now, what do you see the A-Sun doing now.

Stay at 11 teams ?

Add a 12th team: Maybe Longwood ?
07-20-2008 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
RE: A-Sun expansion
I think the last time Gumbart was quoted on the subject he said something to the effect of "we'll stick at 11 unless we have a line on a 12th that's too good to pass up." I get the sense the league is out of the D2 halfway house business for the foreseeable future, especially with that moratorium in place now.

Longwood is annoyingly far and out in the country for everybody except maybe Campbell, I can't see that one happening. Savannah State/N.C. Central - no no a thousand times no. I think we're at 11 until such time as a school in another league desires a change.
07-20-2008 03:05 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Longwood does not do what its name implies for me. Hopefully we are at 11 for a while. I'm hoping we can get Radford or UNCA to come to the ASUN, but they really have no reason to.
07-20-2008 05:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
I recently read that Longwood was invited to join the newly-formed Great West, but turned it down. New Jersey Tech joined, though, and Longwood could have been NJIT's travel partner. Travel costs would be an obvious issue in that conference. However, I wonder if LU's decision was partly based on other possibilities in the works.

The Big South, A-Sun, and America East haven't invited Longwood to join after being an independent for something like 4 years. Yet, The A-Sun brought-in FGCU, Kennesaw, UNF, and Upstate directly out of D-II. Scheduling issues and fuel/travel costs might drive LU to consider dropping back down like Birmingham Southern, Augusta, and Armstrong State did.
07-20-2008 05:40 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mercer
If the conference keeps going as is, it will probably be down to 10 soon enough. I hate to always be so negative, but I think this is more realistic than the A-Sun going to 12 teams.

However, I have been wrong before...
07-20-2008 06:34 PM
LindysWriter Offline
Water Engineer

I believe JU will leave the A-Sun Conference soon if they dont add football and join the Sun Belt.
07-20-2008 06:45 PM
Advertisement

HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
If we can't get a school like Winthrop or UNC Wilmington to come here (and we probably can't) then I don't think the A-Sun should bother pursuing a 12th member at all.

EDIT: Lindy's Writer - sure, and Stetson's mulling over an offer to join the NL East for baseball and put its other teams in the European Union...explain please. I don't buy it.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2008 07:00 PM by HatterFan.)
07-20-2008 06:53 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
HatterFan Wrote:Longwood is annoyingly far and out in the country for everybody except maybe Campbell, I can't see that one happening.

By my calculations Farmville is closer to ETSU than everyone in the conference except Upstate and Campbell.
07-20-2008 07:06 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

LindysWriter Wrote:I believe JU will leave the A-Sun Conference soon if they dont add football and join the Sun Belt.

I agree!
07-20-2008 07:53 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
JU has non scholarship football.
07-20-2008 08:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
For leagues that are similar to the A-Sun, it seems like having fewer teams makes us stronger. We have a better chance of having a high RPI with fewer teams. It takes out the probability that more teams will bomb on their RPI.

I'd rather have a strong 10 than a weak 12. It sounds like most posters above me here feel the same way.
07-20-2008 09:07 PM
Advertisement

KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
We definitely don't need to stretch the footprint in order to add a team. I think that was a big reason for the DII additions. KSU, Upstate, and FGCU all fit different footprint needs. FGCU was the biggest stretch, but it is probably good to have another Florida team. KSU is right smack in the middle of everything, and Upstate keeps Campbell from being an outlier....

I think we stick at 11 for now. Having a 20 game conference schedule isn't all that bad of a thing, and it will help create better rivalries with all the upheaval in the conference. I like the fact that we get to play each team twice...
07-20-2008 09:25 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
I don't mind a 20-game conference schedule either. At the very least we find out a true champion of the league. No complaints of easy schedules.
07-20-2008 09:54 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Campbell will add scholarships before Jacksonville does in football, and even then won't go to the bowl subdivision for awhile. The best JU could hope for would be the Big South or maybe the Southern as a travel buddy for Ga. Southern.
07-21-2008 06:50 AM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

Until the A-Sun supports football, teams will never be stable. Mercer & Stetson are the only teams that will be mainstays. Do you ever wonder why the A-Sun is in Macon? Who is the longest standing Member? Well, I'll bet the answer to both of these questions is Mercer.

I love Mercer & I believe the A-Sun could be a great mid-major conference. However, the A-Sun is currently the toilet bowl of Division One & we all know it.

The A-Sun should support, but not require football. Football could start as non-scholarship with a plan to go scholarship & play in Division One AA in 3 to 5 years. This seems so simple to me; I don't know why the great minds at the A-Sun conference have not caught on; I wrote a letter to Gumbart about a year ago recommending this!
07-21-2008 07:45 AM
KennesawBasketball Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw
I think football will gradually become a part of the ASun....Kennesaw, Jacksonville, Campbell are already making plans to have scholarship football at some point in the future. We know that ETSU would love to have football back...the problem is that Mercer, Stetson, Belmont, and Lipscomb have almost no chance at football. Especially the two Nashville schools. They simply don't have the enrollment to do so. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens once Kennesaw gets our football program running.
07-21-2008 04:31 PM
Advertisement

CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

I think you may be misinformed about Mercer-- I think Mercer will have football in the next 3-5 years... Even so, I think they are planning to play in the Pioneer League-I don't think the A-Sun will support the sport.
07-21-2008 04:41 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
IF Belmont wants football, they'll get it. Enrollment is not an issue. They said they needed an arena to go division one, and the Curb family wrote the check. Lipscom will do whatever Belmont does to keep up with the Joneses... Stetson is out on football.
07-21-2008 05:45 PM
CWG Offline
Bench Warmer

Buccaneerlover Wrote:IF Belmont wants football, they'll get it. Enrollment is not an issue. They said they needed an arena to go division one, and the Curb family wrote the check. Lipscom will do whatever Belmont does to keep up with the Joneses... Stetson is out on football.

I agree with you. I don't think enrollment has much to do with anything. Most of the private schools have much more money than the public schools-regardless of the enrollment.
07-21-2008 06:11 PM
LindysWriter Offline
Water Engineer

Kerwin Bell, coach of JU, talked about how the program was building a new football facility and getting scholarships.

I believe JU is headed to the Sun Belt due to football and because of both of their basketball teams (M/W) failed to make the NIT. Being in the Sun Belt they both would have got bids to the NIT.
07-21-2008 07:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.