UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oliver Robinson Tribute
dragondrummer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
Oliver Robinson Tribute
Interview with Oliver Robinson and a few clips of him playing as a tribute to him being inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.

06-12-2008 02:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oldblazer79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: my kids, UAB
RE: Oliver Robinson Tribute
congratulations to Oliver Robinson.
imo, the greatest of all the great Blazers.

that is the UAB I remember most fondly.
seeing that clip leaves me [otherwise] speechless, and in a pensive state.

think I'll go for now, and shed tears.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2008 06:50 AM by oldblazer79.)
06-12-2008 06:47 AM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
That was great. Here's to hoping for more players like Robinson and a return to UAB's "glory days."
06-12-2008 08:10 AM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Goosebumps.
06-12-2008 08:38 AM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

Those first 3-4 seasons must have been magical for the people of Birmingham.
06-12-2008 09:51 AM
Advertisement

ShelbyCoBlazer Offline
All American

BlazrDawg Wrote:Those first 3-4 seasons must have been magical for the people of Birmingham.

Magical is a good word to describe it. The "people of Birmingham" embraced the Blazers. You could be a Bama fan AND a Blazer fan, because the Blazers were "Birmingham's team", and were not yet seen as a threat to, or a distraction from what went on in T town. It was OK to be Tide fb fan and a Blazer bb fan. For those in Bham who were not Tide fans, the Blazers were an easy choice, because these young upstarts were turning the bb world upside down. Vitale called them the biggest bb story of the 80's.

But that was before the acrimony and animosity grew and got out of hand on both sides. Recruiting wars got ugly (I mean real ugly), letters were written, lines were drawn, and sides were chosen, and as they say, the rest is history.
06-12-2008 12:59 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Due to the emphasis in Alabama on college sports, the tensions between UAB and the Bama campus were largely ignored until they spilled onto the sports arena. There had been, since our inception in 1969, a tug-of-war over several academic programs that the Bama folks wanted to keep on campus, particularly many graduate programs. Their prevailing attitude, at the time, was that UAB would be all undergrad studies, and then students would have to come to T-town for advanced work (with its higher per hour costs). Bama's staff fought the enlargement of UAB offerings in most fields where they were already in place in T-town. Engineering and business schools come to mind. They did not gracefully step aside to make the growth of UAB's programs possible.
06-12-2008 02:25 PM
Advertisement

ShelbyCoBlazer Offline
All American

BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:Due to the emphasis in Alabama on college sports, the tensions between UAB and the Bama campus were largely ignored until they spilled onto the sports arena. There had been, since our inception in 1969, a tug-of-war over several academic programs that the Bama folks wanted to keep on campus, particularly many graduate programs. Their prevailing attitude, at the time, was that UAB would be all undergrad studies, and then students would have to come to T-town for advanced work (with its higher per hour costs). Bama's staff fought the enlargement of UAB offerings in most fields where they were already in place in T-town. Engineering and business schools come to mind. They did not gracefully step aside to make the growth of UAB's programs possible.

I understand that there was tension between the 2 campuses prior to bb, but we were talking about the REALLY important battleground of sport, not the insignificant squabbles amongst academic types.

jk,05-stirthepot
06-12-2008 02:44 PM
BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
How can we get a copy of that UAB vs Indiana game? Wow, that would be a nice dvd addition!
06-12-2008 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I did a lot of research last year regarding the hiring of Bartow. (This week marks the 31st anniversary of his hire) and in reading some of the school newspapers from the mid 60's before UAB became a separate university, there were complaints from UAB students that they were not treated equally to students at Tuscaloosa. For example, they could not purchase student tickets for Bama football games.

As far as those first years of Blazer basketball, a lot of the excitement generated around Bartow. College basketball (thanks to Bird and Magic in 1979 and the birth of ESPN) was reaching new heights in popularity. And UAB starting its program and hiring away Gene Bartow from UCLA brought that excitement to Birmingham, where college basketball had almost no following. UAB, Gene Bartow and Oliver Robinson allowed Birmingham to connect to the excitement that would become March Madness with their own personal team to cheer for.

By the mid 80's, Alabama with Wimp Sanderson and Auburn with Sonny Smith realized that there was a point to college basketball and begin to focus more on having success there. But UAB had beat them to the punch and would be the premier college basketball program in the state for some time. Sadly, college basketball has now been BCSed and it is now more important to be in a power conference than to have a good program. But it wasn't that way in the early 1980's.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2008 09:16 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
06-12-2008 09:11 PM
BlazerDave Offline
1st String

On a side note, your's truely was the one toting the yellow flag w/ green "BLAZERS" across it after the slam in the BJCC. It was so loud I coundn't hear myself think.

Go Blazers!
06-13-2008 03:13 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
BlazerDave Wrote:On a side note, your's truely was the one toting the yellow flag w/ green "BLAZERS" across it after the slam in the BJCC. It was so loud I coundn't hear myself think.

Go Blazers!

WOW. I thought only Memphis fans made that many grammatical errors in one sentence.
06-13-2008 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.