UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Battle of the BBQ Bones?
CeloBlaze Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Battle of the BBQ Bones?
Just wondering if we are still having the Battle of the Bones BBQ Contest before the UAB-UM football game on Thurs 10/02. I haven't heard much about it on this forum. There's a guy who I work with inquiring about the contest. He wants to form a team and enter, if we have it. I told him that I would check on it and get him the necessary registration forms. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks and Go Blazers!!!
06-07-2008 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
RE: Battle of the BBQ Bones?
I'm pretty sure we are.
06-07-2008 11:45 AM
UAB Band Dad Online
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Yes, there will still be a Battle of the Bones. Contact the Athletic Department.
06-07-2008 12:24 PM
dragondrummer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
The athletic department really needs to step up the advertising for this. Did they even mention it before the game last year?
06-07-2008 01:45 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
Agreed... you can put it together at the last minute and get a last-minute looking competition/event... or you can start planning early, learn from prior year's successes and failures, etc. They may be doing this behind closed doors (and hopefully they are), but they definitely should do a better job in getting this info to the public in both Memphis and Birmingham... and not just 1 month before the game.
06-10-2008 08:23 AM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

last year it completely fell apart, it seems. If they're going to do it, do it right. If not, just forget it altogether.
06-10-2008 08:52 AM
braish Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk Award
Hopefully, since UAB has had two years since the first one was thrown together we can do a better job and actually make this a great event. Now that both school's have "been there, done that", there are no excuses for not publicizing this event early, put it in our commercials for football this year, and rev up local support.
06-10-2008 09:55 AM
dragondrummer Offline
1st String

Snoozy's just recently got in UAB vs Memphis shirts. It just has UAB Football on the front. On the back it has the two schools helmets facing each other(old helmets since the news ones haven't been officially released yet), and under that it has "The Battle of The Bones."
06-10-2008 04:04 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I'm looking at getting a new smoker for contests & this'll be a good one to break it in at but waiting to see how this comes about as far as costs vs reward as on that weekend there's also a BBQ contest in GA I might do (can't do both). I think our people need to get out & publicize it starting NOW to get more teams to compete in it other that 2 or 3 local bbq joints asked to come cook it & a handful of local tailgaters like last time. This could be an event that in the long run turns into a good pregame party event like you'd see at the Ala A&M v Ala St or SWAC Champ games but it takes people willing to go out & do some legwork to promote an event to get people there as well as starting it early enough for it to happen.
06-10-2008 04:54 PM
Advertisement

Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
dragondrummer Wrote:Snoozy's just recently got in UAB vs Memphis shirts. It just has UAB Football on the front. On the back it has the two schools helmets facing each other(old helmets since the news ones haven't been officially released yet), and under that it has "The Battle of The Bones."

I would love to look at them, but Snoozy's Web site is apparently down.
06-10-2008 04:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragondrummer Offline
1st String

Grammar-Nazi Wrote:
dragondrummer Wrote:Snoozy's just recently got in UAB vs Memphis shirts. It just has UAB Football on the front. On the back it has the two schools helmets facing each other(old helmets since the news ones haven't been officially released yet), and under that it has "The Battle of The Bones."

I would love to look at them, but Snoozy's Web site is apparently down.

They just recently took pictures of most of the merchandise, so it is probably in the process of being updated. Brad has been pretty busy the last few days with the computer system and internet screwing up. Hopefully he will have time to update put all the new pictures up soon.
06-10-2008 05:53 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
Making this a Thursday game has hurt my ability as a student to enter the contest. I can't be there all day long smoking the ribs without skipping class. I was really looking forward to entering this year.

Maybe I can find an apprentice who doesn't have Thursday class and can help me with this.
06-11-2008 12:53 AM
MC Blazer Offline
Grand Dragon of Detroit

BlazerTalk AwardDonators
CeloBlaze Wrote:Just wondering if we are still having the Battle of the Bones BBQ Contest before the UAB-UM football game on Thurs 10/02. I haven't heard much about it on this forum. There's a guy who I work with inquiring about the contest. He wants to form a team and enter, if we have it. I told him that I would check on it and get him the necessary registration forms. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks and Go Blazers!!!

Mr. Sam Miller is the man to talk to about the "bones"
06-11-2008 10:53 AM
Advertisement

bamabhoy Offline
Bench Warmer

Look don't hate I live in Tuscaloosa. Hate bama more than any of you guys probably (I have to live with them on a daily basis in there heartland) But, me personally I cook bbq on a daily basis and I have talked to full moon, dreamland, archibald's, and me (mike and ed's). I don't know if companies are allowed, but I have told them about battle of the bones and they wanna be apart of this. unknowingly of the rules I told them just go under an independant name. I don't know how that works, but if they show the more people the better. Mike and Ed's bbq is goin as Blazer BBQ if not taken somehow. Also to self promote, if any blazer fan has to come through Tuscaloosa, on 15th street Mike and Ed's is located across from Contemporary Mitsubishi, and Blazer faithful. We all love bbq, equaly at worst as Dreamland, but at a much more reasonable price.
06-12-2008 02:44 AM
UAB Band Dad Online
Occasionally Reasonable

You might want to talk to Sam Miller (samiller@uab.edu) as suggested above. There are both amateur and professional divisions. I'd assume that local BBQ restaurants would want to come under their own name for the publicity.

On the other hand... I would hope that someone has already contacted the local Q places and started promoting the Bones. That's the idea of starting it, right? It's a promotion to stir up interest and excitement around the UAB-Memphis game. If we wait till two weeks before the game to start pushing it participation is going to stink.
06-12-2008 06:50 AM
lit_chick Offline
Water Engineer

bamabhoy Wrote:Look don't hate I live in Tuscaloosa. Hate bama more than any of you guys probably (I have to live with them on a daily basis in there heartland) But, me personally I cook bbq on a daily basis and I have talked to full moon, dreamland, archibald's, and me (mike and ed's). I don't know if companies are allowed, but I have told them about battle of the bones and they wanna be apart of this. unknowingly of the rules I told them just go under an independant name. I don't know how that works, but if they show the more people the better. Mike and Ed's bbq is goin as Blazer BBQ if not taken somehow. Also to self promote, if any blazer fan has to come through Tuscaloosa, on 15th street Mike and Ed's is located across from Contemporary Mitsubishi, and Blazer faithful. We all love bbq, equaly at worst as Dreamland, but at a much more reasonable price.

My brother just moved to Tuscaloosa. (He starts school there in the fall. I threatened to disown him.) His roommate cannot stop talking about how awesome Archibald's is. Is it really that good? And maybe next time I go visit him, we'll stop by and say hey!
06-13-2008 12:54 PM
bamabhoy Offline
Bench Warmer

Archibald's is pretty good. I don't think it's the crave like some make it out to be. But then again I'm partial, since I work at the competition.
06-13-2008 01:21 PM
Advertisement

BlazerDave Offline
1st String

lit_chick Wrote:
bamabhoy Wrote:Look don't hate I live in Tuscaloosa. Hate bama more than any of you guys probably (I have to live with them on a daily basis in there heartland) But, me personally I cook bbq on a daily basis and I have talked to full moon, dreamland, archibald's, and me (mike and ed's). I don't know if companies are allowed, but I have told them about battle of the bones and they wanna be apart of this. unknowingly of the rules I told them just go under an independant name. I don't know how that works, but if they show the more people the better. Mike and Ed's bbq is goin as Blazer BBQ if not taken somehow. Also to self promote, if any blazer fan has to come through Tuscaloosa, on 15th street Mike and Ed's is located across from Contemporary Mitsubishi, and Blazer faithful. We all love bbq, equaly at worst as Dreamland, but at a much more reasonable price.
My brother just moved to Tuscaloosa. (He starts school there in the fall. I threatened to disown him.) His roommate cannot stop talking about how awesome Archibald's is. Is it really that good? And maybe next time I go visit him, we'll stop by and say hey!

Archbald's is very good if you like the vinegary type sauce.

Some of you recall an old thread where I mentioned getting two new Blazer Club members to get 4 basketball season tickets even though they are Bama grads, etc.

Well, it just so happens that one of their fathers is part of a competive bar-b-que cooking team known as the "Butt Masters" out of Demopolis, AL. They'll be up here in August for the "Stokin' the Fire" contest at Sloss Furnace. He said they would also like to compete in the Battle of the Bones and would like more information. As soon as anyone get this information please post it asap.

BTW, Stokin' the Fire will be August 22 and 23rd.

Go Blazers!
06-13-2008 01:24 PM
UAB Band Dad Online
Occasionally Reasonable

I'm glad I won't be stoking a fire in high August - but then again, with enough cold cold beer...
06-13-2008 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.