Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Getting porked by the IRS again.
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Sad Getting porked by the IRS again.
Same old chit, year after year. Those of us most fiscally responsible end up picking up the tab for our fiscally IRRESPONSIBLE government. If you save, invest and generate profits you get Uncle Sam reaching in your back pocket to help himself to your hard earned money.

My sin? I earned capital gains on some security transactions. Money I had ALREADY paid income tax on as salary was invested in Stocks, Funds and Bonds. My capital gains on the investments is being taxed AGAIN by a government that knows no shame.

Those of you who defend this empty suit we have in the White House are enablers in my book. You've bought into his schtick and Rambo rhetoric, while ignoring the most prolific spender we've had in the White House in decades. Bill Clinton was slapped down his first year in office for trying to put some pork in an annual spending bill THAT WAS LESS THAN WHAT BUSH WASTES IN IRAQ IN 2 WEEKS.

Well, time to whip out my checkbook and send some blackmail to Uncle Sam. 03-banghead
03-24-2008 11:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Getting porked by the IRS again.
You know the way our leadership is in this nation.

This is the way our leadership should be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqOUlBXrz...re=related
03-24-2008 12:08 PM
okgc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
The only thing that has changed in years with capital gains is the tax% was decreased in 2003.
Be glad you had a positive return last year and send off your check with a smile.
03-24-2008 12:13 PM
Arrohead Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
Many of the Bush tax cuts are sunsetting in 2010. Hillary & Barack have no intention of making them permanent. You might want to think about buying more vasaline if you think it is bad now.
03-24-2008 03:03 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Wow, -14. THAT means that you troll a lot. Also explains why I see "You currently have this user on ignore." when you post.
03-24-2008 03:49 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:The only thing that has changed in years with capital gains is the tax% was decreased in 2003.
Be glad you had a positive return last year and send off your check with a smile.

Capital gains on investments which you have already paid income tax on is obscene. This government places a disproportionate tax load on those who work the hardest, invest the wisest and practice fiscal responsiblity.
03-24-2008 06:00 PM
Advertisement

Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
Arro is a Republican that is just perfect. Nothing like being warned about how bad a president a candidate could be from someone who voted multiple times for W. That is a real credible source.

and Philly I would get out my violin and play a tune for you but there are people in the world with real problems. Gordan Gecko was a fictional character, and he was bested by Charlie Sheen. With 4,000 Americans dead in Iraq, uncontrolled borders, veterans needing healthcare, millions of uninsured, and an economy in the tank I can't fathom why the focus of the government should be placed on giving people a greater percentage of their unearned income back.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2008 06:06 PM by Liam9903.)
03-24-2008 06:05 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

^ Last time I checked we had hundreds of elected officials. They SHOULD be capable of multitasking. And just because Philly's complaint pales in comparison to some of the nation's biggest problem doesn't take away its legitimacy. Our tax code is beyond broken, and this is another example of it.
03-24-2008 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

^ Again in the list of injustices in the world this might be close to last. Its just a bunch of whining and happens every year around this time. Not legitimate in the least. Pay your taxes and shut up. We all pay taxes.

And I fail to see how paying taxes on something like stock dividends is an example of how the tax code is broken. What is so sacred about money that is invested that it can't be taxed? Its almost as stupid as getting worked up about the estate tax. The principal of this argument if I understand it is that it is a disincentive to invest, but I have never seen any credible evidence of that. The only thing it seems to lead to is more complaining from people who have no real problem to complain about.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2008 06:28 PM by Liam9903.)
03-24-2008 06:19 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:I can't fathom why the focus of the government should be placed on giving people a greater percentage of their unearned income back.

Unearned income? Just because money earned through wise investing is not as tangible as the $ 7/hour you get flipping burgers at Wendy's doesn't make it "unearned", moron. You wouldn't know this, but it takes TIME to properly research investments, follow the markets and determine the best time to move money.

The money I and others put into our investments comes through INCOME, earned from the sweat off our brows. Taxing the profits on investments, after the money has already been taxed as income is appalling. Only a deadbeat would try to justify it.
03-24-2008 06:45 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote: The only thing it seems to lead to is more complaining from people who have no real problem to complain about.

Which gives you something to complain about. 03-nutkick
03-24-2008 06:47 PM
Advertisement

Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

BroncoPhilly Wrote:
Quote:I can't fathom why the focus of the government should be placed on giving people a greater percentage of their unearned income back.

Unearned income? Just because money earned through wise investing is not as tangible as the $ 7/hour you get flipping burgers at Wendy's doesn't make it "unearned", moron. You wouldn't know this, but it takes TIME to properly research investments, follow the markets and determine the best time to move money.

The money I and others put into our investments comes through INCOME, earned from the sweat off our brows. Taxing the profits on investments, after the money has already been taxed as income is appalling. Only a deadbeat would try to justify it.

All this anger because the government took a piece of your spoils to help pay for a war started by the moron that you and your libertarian friends helped elect. I understood the psychology behind this when it was used to rail against entitlements, but now that we have been plunged into debt by this train wreck of an administration don't you feel a greater obligation to help the country out of this mess. I guess not.

Money "earned," through speculative activities is subject to taxation. Sorry we can't run a country on the backs of laborers. You want coal miners taxed on their income, but its not fair 03-hissyfit when you are asked to pay a cut of your unearned investment revenue. You are being greedy, which is not something that bothers you but you really shouldn't hide behind the principals of fairness to make this claim.

We all pay taxes to pretend that only you are burdened is funny. To pretend that anyone is benefiting from your investments besides you is disingenuous. The lack of logic in your argument is why the Ron Paul "revolution," was the miserable failure it was.
03-24-2008 06:58 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

^ Your idea of fair is really unique. You do a good job of twisting words to make an irrelevant point (you should be a politician), but when you boil it all down we're still talking about taxing the same pool of money twice instead of once.
03-24-2008 07:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Not necessarily, investment money made doesn't mean it was income at one time, or anything else that was previously taxed. That's single threaded thinking.

I'm also okay with estate taxes, in a capitalistic economy which ours attempts to resemble, the families that had the resources would be able to hoard them without working for them down the line, and you know what? Karl Marx would be right. We already have enough of a few ruling the many with their money made generations ago.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2008 07:18 PM by DesertBronco.)
03-24-2008 07:17 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

Even if you have to go back a few generations you will still eventually come to income that was taxed (unless you have to go back so far as to predate income tax, but that's another subject). Taxing it again after the fact, even with good intentions, doesn't do anything good... at most it attacks the symptom of the perceived problem, but not the problem itself.
03-24-2008 07:34 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

Again all of this effort to help people who don't need help could be better placed elsewhere.
03-24-2008 07:37 PM
Advertisement

moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

So something is only wrong if the person effected isn't well off? Interesting moral relativism there. :ncaabbs:
03-24-2008 07:45 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

First Moe it isn't wrong. Secondly the intellect, passion, and concern that people posses is best used trying to solve actual problems, and to help people who need it. As opposed to hand wringing about selfish non sense and helping people with the resources, intellect, and ability to help themselves.

If anyone has access to the wheels of government its capitalists and speculators. So if they want to dedicate their time and energy to such pursuits then they are welcome to it, but they aren't going to get any support from me. I will worry about problems that hurt everybody not inconvenience a privileged few.
03-24-2008 07:50 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

We'll see if you're singing the same tune the first time you see yourself being taxed for the same pool of money twice.
03-24-2008 07:54 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I don't know why you are so confident to assume that I haven't. Just because I display some idealism from time to time doesn't mean I don't earn a living, or have investments. Besides that we all pay sales tax when we buy things with our already taxed income right? Hotel taxes? Cigarette taxes? Gasoline taxes? Yet these suburban minutemen don't feel the need to climb up on a cross every time they go through the checkout at Meijer. When you start talking about taxes that have an impact on wealth that is when these convenient arguments about fairness start to be made by the same people who don't have any interest in fairness anywhere else in society. Social Darwinists crying about how unfair the tax code is are just not a group who warrant much sympathy IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2008 08:13 PM by Liam9903.)
03-24-2008 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.