Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
No comment from Brian Kelly
From Bill Koch's blog:

Friday, March 14, 2008

I talked to Brian Kelly this afternoon. He said that due to privacy issues he could not comment on the Terrill Byrd situation other than to say that the matter would be handled internally. He said that under UC's athletic department drug policy, an athlete who tests positive for drugs the first time is automatically suspended for 10 percent of his team's games. He said all of UC's football players have been tested, but could not discuss individual results of those tests.

posted by bill koch at 4:43 PM 0 comments

Byrd drug charge

If you haven't seen it on our web site, there's a story by news reporter Kimball Perry about Terrill Byrd, UC's second-team All-American defensive tackle, and his former Colerain High School teammate, Mister Simpson, both of whom have had warrants issued for their arrest after they didn't show up today for a court appearance. Both were facing a drug abuse charge after they were arrested on March 5 for allegedly smoking marijuana. I'm trying to reach Brian Kelly now.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/default.asp

03-14-2008 04:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: No comment from Brian Kelly
I bet Kelly is MEGA PISSED!

03-14-2008 09:09 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Our hopes for an upset of Oklahoma just took a "hit." 03-banghead

By the way, two more former Colerain Cardinals, Mixon and Lainhart, are also in trouble with the law at Kent State.

http://newsleader.recordpub.com/news/article/3408722

03-14-2008 09:28 PM
oleskl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Donators
It's all Kerry Coombs fault. 03-lmfao

03-14-2008 09:33 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
oleskl Wrote:It's all Kerry Coombs fault. 03-lmfao

Nancy Zimpher has to share some of the blame, doesn't she? 04-cheers

03-14-2008 09:44 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Read the comments. Amazin'

03-14-2008 10:08 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats4ever Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
I sometimes feel bad for major athletes, sure they know what they are doing is wrong but man let kids be kids. I am sure they definately learned their lesson I hope.

03-15-2008 02:13 AM
converrl Offline
All American

I Root For:
WacoBearcat Wrote:Nancy Zimpher has to share some of the blame, doesn't she? 04-cheers

I predict massive amounts of silence from her end.

That wooshing sound you hear is her administration sweeping this under the rug along with that sex tape...03-wink

03-15-2008 02:30 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Bearcats4ever Wrote:I sometimes feel bad for major athletes, sure they know what they are doing is wrong but man let kids be kids. I am sure they definately learned their lesson I hope.

I'm all for kids being kids, but the other side of the coin is learning responsibility and the consequences of your actions. This was a dumb move by Byrd, let's hope it doesn't cost us some games...

03-15-2008 07:48 AM
RayBob Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Donators
ctipton Wrote:From Bill Koch's blog:

Friday, March 14, 2008

I talked to Brian Kelly this afternoon. He said that due to privacy issues he could not comment on the Terrill Byrd situation other than to say that the matter would be handled internally. He said that under UC's athletic department drug policy, an athlete who tests positive for drugs the first time is automatically suspended for 10 percent of his team's games. He said all of UC's football players have been tested, but could not discuss individual results of those tests.

Okay, I'm a little naive on the drug use process and maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but the policy as stated above does say "tested positive" for drugs. Is it possible for Byrd's delay apprearing in court (and I'm wondering about a possible silence to Kelly about the entire mess) would give him enough time to flush his system? Way back when--as a military youngster--I knew it took about three days to clear out to pass one of the AF random drug tests (urine). Hence, maybe he would never be "tested positive" for drugs even though he got busted for drugs.

Do the cops treat any recreational use of drugs just as they would a DUI and force you to submit to a drug test, or is it something that the judge (or UC) would have to order?

I'm just trying to figure out the benefit to not showing up in court, and wondering if it was some kind of delaying tactic. I would think that a second team all-american would have gone running for legal counsel immediately after getting arrested just to protect their future interests.

Like I said, I am inexperienced with drug use. Now alcohol use, well, that's a different story .

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2008 10:30 AM by RayBob.)
03-15-2008 09:10 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Id bet that being caught smoking it would be treated in the same manner as a positive drug test. If Im not mistaken, it can stay in your system for a few months.

03-15-2008 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Coopdaddy67 Wrote:Id bet that being caught smoking it would be treated in the same manner as a positive drug test. If Im not mistaken, it can stay in your system for a few months.

I believe they test your hair, and if you have smoked enough for it to get in there, it stays for long while.

03-15-2008 10:19 AM
bww Offline
McCuse

I Root For: Bearcats
Coopdaddy67 Wrote:Id bet that being caught smoking it would be treated in the same manner as a positive drug test. If Im not mistaken, it can stay in your system for a few months.

I've actually seen a study that shows that even chronic users can clear their system in as little as 10 days. More often than not, to get under testing levels, 20-25 days is the norm. 03-phew

Hair testing is a different matter as far as I know.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2008 10:29 AM by bww.)
03-15-2008 10:28 AM
oleskl Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
I can't see a University using the hair follicle test. Waaaay more expensive than the normal urine-test and figuring they'd have to test 50-something FB players at a time I doubt they'd want to spend that money.

I had always heard that man-made/chemical based drugs are usually out of your system in 10-14 days while natural occurring drugs (pot, shrooms, hash, etc...) stay in your system for 24-28 days.

There's always ways to speed those up though.

03-15-2008 11:21 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I hope the Byrdman drinks Ocean Spray 03-lmfao

03-15-2008 11:24 AM
oleskl Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:I hope the Byrdman drinks Ocean Spray 03-lmfao

I used to love all the urban myths that you'd hear people talking about. Drinking vinegar for a couple days beforehand, drink a gallon of ocean spray/ Sunny D before you walk in, drink a big gallon of water, Goldenseal, the masking things you buy at The Cupboard, and dropping a drop of bleach in the sample. Any more most tests will come up as a failing if any of those things pop up in them, especially Goldenseal and the large amounts of water.

Pretty much if you're getting tested within a short period of time, 0-48 hours you're basically screwed if you've used. If you've got time then you better be drinking massive amounts of fluids and peeing/sweating them all right back out.

03-15-2008 11:55 AM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
This is getting ridiculous.

03-16-2008 07:39 PM
Ahhhorsepoo Offline
All American

I Root For: UC, FSU, NOT XU
what about last year when he was suspended for the first game.. was that also not for a drug related issue? could this suspension actually go 3 or 6 games?

03-17-2008 11:16 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
I thought that one was for missing class.

03-17-2008 11:19 AM
Ahhhorsepoo Offline
All American

I Root For: UC, FSU, NOT XU
I thought it was a DE that missed that game for class.. could be wrong.. and hope i am.. but if not then i am sure a longer suspension is going to happen..

03-17-2008 11:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.