Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is your interpretation of this Nietzsche quote?
Bookmark and Share
$NIU$ Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
What is your interpretation of this Nietzsche quote?
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/80304...0.article#

Quote:The company confirmed Tuesday that Kazmierczak was a customer and that they made the T-shirt he wears in the the now-famous photo of him with his arms spread wide.

The shirt, which is emblazoned on the front with the image of a handgun over a U.S. flag, also has a Nietzsche quote on the back: "He who fights monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.''

What is your interpretation of this quote? Why on a shirt with the American flag and a gun? What is the abyss representing?
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2008 08:07 PM by $NIU$.)
02-20-2008 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: What is your interpretation of this Nietzsche quote?
I read recently that much of the work in Anti-Christ is often misinterpreted when simpler sentences and texts are taken out of context of the whole.

The basic overall theme is that religion robs one of mankind's empowerment and potential.

Quotes taken alone are tuff to interpret outside a much wider framework.

I'm gonna do some homework on the quote referenced re: abyss.

Literally abyss is a deep pit or (a future) in HELL

When man looks into hell, he gains strength of character.
(Consider the plot and end scene between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader as one example)

Here is a link that scares the HELL outta me for it fits SK's interests and experiences related to prisons, shrinks etc.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/watchm...ter-06.php

With all due respect and humility , I hope investigators are monitoring this and other sites for any clues into the madman's mind and motivations.

I heard second hand just today from a mom whose now deceased daughter had some awareness of SK at NIU as a dorm floormate. SK went into tank following his mother's death for she was only person able to persuade him to regularly take his meds. SK allegedly also resented those students who had considerable finanacial support to attend college while he struggled alone without much support.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2008 11:56 PM by cyberdawg.)
02-20-2008 10:16 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Quote:Reverend Johnson: Order, order. Goddamnit, I said "order".
Howard Johnson: Y'know, Nietzsche says: "Out of chaos comes order."
Olson Johnson: Oh, blow it out your ass, Howard.

--Blazing Saddles
02-21-2008 09:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

$NIU$ Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
cyberdawg Wrote:When man looks into hell, he gains strength of character.
(Consider the plot and end scene between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader as one example)

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. SK might have looked into depths of hell when discovering the truth on some of these world issues. Its funny how you used the Star Wars analogy because I been thinking Star Wars lately. There are some people out there gettin hard-ons by stepping into the dark side. They're big on seeing the dark side of the moon. My girlfriend's cousin is like this...i find his views to be sad but true. However, despite the world's imperfections you shouldn't have to live a dull life. Especially when you have friends & family who love you. Unfortunately for SK his mom was probably the only gem in this crazy world. Too bad he didn't have kids....I think they bring alot of light and joy.
02-21-2008 01:33 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
$NIU$ Wrote:
Too bad he didn't have kids....I think they bring alot of light and joy.
If you are referring to SK here, I disagree. We are all lucky that his DNA did not get passed on to anyone else. I think that is a problem with much of the medication that is available today. It allows people with psychological problems to exist and pass on their genes to their kids. These people may not necessarily be alive if it weren't for their medication. These types of medication allow flawed people to live and reproduce creating even more unstable individuals.

Also, people tend to be just like their parents and raise their kids the same way. Steven would have likely raised his kids like his parents had raised him. We know that he had a bad childhood and I am sure much of this had to do with how his parents raised him.
02-21-2008 01:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Whatever interpretation you might have, it's safe to say his is probably different, I think trying to find the reasons he did this is just not worth anyone's time. Just like the interview with the girlfriend, people are trying to so hard to find a motive, find a reason behind the awful thing this guy did, but sometimes it's just not worth it.

Even if he left a note, and explained word for word why he did what he did, would anyone feel any better about the situation?

None of us have ever considered doing what he did, and he clearly did not think like an average person, so it's not really going to do any good trying to decipher shirts the guy bought, in what was probably a completely different state of mind no less.
02-21-2008 02:00 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
this leads me to a related topic and separate thread I am about to post: WHY WHY?
02-21-2008 02:17 PM
Advertisement

$NIU$ Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
HuskieFan84 Wrote:Whatever interpretation you might have, it's safe to say his is probably different, I think trying to find the reasons he did this is just not worth anyone's time. Just like the interview with the girlfriend, people are trying to so hard to find a motive, find a reason behind the awful thing this guy did, but sometimes it's just not worth it.

Even if he left a note, and explained word for word why he did what he did, would anyone feel any better about the situation?

None of us have ever considered doing what he did, and he clearly did not think like an average person, so it's not really going to do any good trying to decipher shirts the guy bought, in what was probably a completely different state of mind no less.

I'm sure there are some people, like myself, that would like to know what the motive behind this was. (Will you be reading the article if the newspaper got a hold of a note??) This isn't just some random act of violence by a kid that forgot to take his happy pills. It was premeditated because SK got rid of his hard drive and sim card, the packages he recieved, the conversations he had with his girlfriend, etc etc and other etc's soon to come. I'm curious to see if SK had an anti-U.S government attitude, which is gettin pretty common among 'home' terrorists.
02-21-2008 06:46 PM
BobL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
$NIU$ Wrote:
If you are referring to SK here, I disagree. We are all lucky that his DNA did not get passed on to anyone else. I think that is a problem with much of the medication that is available today. It allows people with psychological problems to exist and pass on their genes to their kids. These people may not necessarily be alive if it weren't for their medication. These types of medication allow flawed people to live and reproduce creating even more unstable individuals.

Also, people tend to be just like their parents and raise their kids the same way. Steven would have likely raised his kids like his parents had raised him. We know that he had a bad childhood and I am sure much of this had to do with how his parents raised him.

Are you saying people with psychological problems ought not exist and reproduce? Or did i misinterpret?
02-21-2008 07:46 PM
Advertisement

HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
BobL Wrote:
HuskiemobileMan Wrote:
$NIU$ Wrote:

Are you saying people with psychological problems ought not exist and reproduce? Or did i misinterpret?
No, basically what I am saying is that medicine is allowing "flawed" human beings to exist and reproduce where without it, natural selection may have taken the life of such people before they were able to reproduce. I am not making any judgments about this.

An ex girlfriend of mine has a dad that had been hospitalized many times (10+) for psychological reasons. He told her that if she grew up with these problems that may have been passed down to her, not to have kids. She took this very seriously and when we were dating, she did not want to have kids for this and other reasons. She did have some psychological issues for sure. I doubt that she will have kids and I commend her for that. This is also part of the reason that led to us breaking up since I do want kids some day.

I just believe that medical science is degrading the gene pool by allowing these people to live longer and ultimately reproduce.

BTW, this was post #10,000 for me! 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2008 08:15 PM by HuskiemobileMan.)
02-21-2008 08:13 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Let's just say those with serious mental illnesses do themselves , potential offspring and society a favor by choosing not bringing a child into the world to torment.

Many serious mental illnesses are triggered by chemical imbalances , DNA and heredity.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2008 10:42 PM by cyberdawg.)
02-21-2008 10:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.