Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should Cole be reopened?
Bookmark and Share
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Should Cole be reopened?
I admit that I am not presently a student, so I would not be going to Cole Hall anyway, but I would say that as soon as the investigation is over, yes.

NIU wants to keep it closed for the rest of the year, but my opinion is that Cole should be put back in service as soon as possible.

I do not know what the maniac's intentions were, but he may have wanted to make sure that classes were never held in Cole again. No one seems to want to imply that it was terrorism. Maybe it was. I think resuming classes in Cole would be a sign of resolve.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2008 04:00 PM by Huskie_Jon.)
02-19-2008 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
RE: Should Cole be reopened?
i have 2 classes in there and I'm pretty sure i'm speaking for a huge majority of the NIU students when i say I dont want to ever go in there again for a class.

They should put a memorial there instead
02-19-2008 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nnhsniuhuskies37 Offline
Banned

I Root For: NIU & Cubbies
should never be used again in my opinion
02-19-2008 04:21 PM
Bartindekalb Offline
Lord of the Dance; Special

I Root For: NIU
Donators
HuskieRak Wrote:i have 2 classes in there and I'm pretty sure i'm speaking for a huge majority of the NIU students when i say I dont want to ever go in there again for a class.

+1

I don't really want to touch this comparison with a ten-foot pole, but the hotel in which MLK was assassinated was turned into the National Civil Rights Museum.

Does anyone know what VT is doing with their lecture hall?
02-19-2008 04:25 PM
rabidawg900 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: We Are Huskies
I wonder where all the people with classes in cole are gonna go...
02-19-2008 04:25 PM
erob3833 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU,Vols,Sox
my opinion if it is used next year, they should re-model it. just my thought
02-19-2008 04:32 PM
Advertisement

gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
The governor offered his help so I would hit him for funds to build a replacement for Kole and destroy the old one. The school needs the space so if they close it they need to make up the lost space.
02-19-2008 04:38 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Bartindekalb Wrote:
HuskieRak Wrote:i have 2 classes in there and I'm pretty sure i'm speaking for a huge majority of the NIU students when i say I dont want to ever go in there again for a class.

+1

I don't really want to touch this comparison with a ten-foot pole, but the hotel in which MLK was assassinated was turned into the National Civil Rights Museum.

I think you bring up a good point. I would not want Cole Hall to become simliar to the Lizzie Bordon house, which is now a Bed and Breakfast, where tourists book years in advance to sleep in Lizzie Bordon's room.

http://www.lizzie-borden.com/

But I also hate to think that NIU now has to demolish a piece of its history because of some ashhole.

It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain

-Bernie Taupin, Elton John
02-19-2008 04:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
I don't think any student wants to go near that building.
02-19-2008 04:52 PM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

Bartindekalb Wrote:Does anyone know what VT is doing with their lecture hall?

It was closed forever in terms of having any classes, but it was cleaned up, fixed, and re-opened with the first floor housing their college of engineering offices that have been in Norris Hall for like 50 years. The building has very limited access (I think it has guards in front of it by all doors), and the second floor where the shootings happened is still closed and locked up. I believe they are making the 2nd floor into some sort of peace studies and anti-violence center, and the rooms where the shootings happened itself will be a memorial.

This is all off the top of my head though, based on what my friend that goes to Tech told me a few weeks ago. I'm sure there is more detailed stuff on it online if you looked, but that's the gist of what they did with Norris Hall.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2008 05:05 PM by NIUHuskies86.)
02-19-2008 05:04 PM
Bartindekalb Offline
Lord of the Dance; Special

Donators
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

It was closed forever in terms of having any classes, but it was cleaned up, fixed, and re-opened with the first floor housing their college of engineering offices that have been in Norris Hall for like 50 years. The building has very limited access (I think it has guards in front of it by all doors), and the second floor where the shootings happened is still closed and locked up. I believe they are making the 2nd floor into some sort of peace studies and anti-violence center, and the rooms where the shootings happened itself will be a memorial.

This is all off the top of my head though, based on what my friend that goes to Tech told me a few weeks ago. I'm sure there is more detailed stuff on it online if you looked, but that's the gist of what they did with Norris Hall.

I'd do similar with Cole then.
02-19-2008 05:07 PM
Advertisement

BobL Offline
Heisman

Bartindekalb Wrote:
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

I'd do similar with Cole then.

As suggested earlier..
Cole Hall should be knocked down...a memorial it its place a, and buiold a new lecture hall elsewhere.
02-19-2008 05:17 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
A memorial in the room where the shooting happened (101 I think). A NIU museum in the other (100).
02-19-2008 05:32 PM
greenbrier41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Not to be used again. The idea of memorial/museum is good. Personally, level it, put a memorial there and find a new location for the two lecture rooms at Cole. I'm sure $$ can be obtained in this situation by the state. If not, donations should take care of it no problem.

Cole is sacred ground now.
02-19-2008 05:36 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
rabidawg900 Wrote:I wonder where all the people with classes in cole are gonna go...

my classes got moved to the lecture hall in the art building
02-19-2008 07:01 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
cole hall was a piece anyway...upgrade and build something new
02-19-2008 07:11 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJoe Offline
All American

I Root For:
Huskie_Jon Wrote:
Bartindekalb Wrote:

+1

I think you bring up a good point. I would not want Cole Hall to become simliar to the Lizzie Bordon house, which is now a Bed and Breakfast, where tourists book years in advance to sleep in Lizzie Bordon's room.

http://www.lizzie-borden.com/

But I also hate to think that NIU now has to demolish a piece of its history because of some ashhole.

It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain

-Bernie Taupin, Elton John

Huskie Jon, I'll get your back on this one. I would open it back up, at least the hall that was not affected. If you want to do something with the half the shooting was in, maybe.

How much would new facilities cost and where would you build them? Who wants to share in the cost of new facilities and delay other capital expenditures? Maybe gcd has a good idea, get the State of IL to pick up the tab. But the state government took several "special" sessions to balance the state budget and pass legislation to fund the CTA, in my book you can't count on them for anything, but I digress.
02-19-2008 10:43 PM
HuskieJoe Offline
All American

I Root For:
HuskieRak Wrote:
rabidawg900 Wrote:I wonder where all the people with classes in cole are gonna go...

my classes got moved to the lecture hall in the art building

Hear about anybody else's classes being relocated? Class in the Convo? Class at Chick Evans? I would imagine Wirtz auditorium and maybe Faraday Hall? Although last time I was in Wirtz it was before Barsema Hall was built, I don't know what happened to Wirtz in the last 5-6 years.
02-19-2008 10:46 PM
ME Hokie 07 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:

This is fairly accurate I believe (not sure about the guards though). One thing to consider though is Norris Hall was/is mostly lab and office space. The 2nd floor (where the shootings occurred) contained the only classrooms in the building and there were only about 8 classrooms there (capable of about 30 people each max). Moving those classes to other buildings was not that difficult given the size of our campus. From everything I gather, Cole Hall has at least one MUCH bigger classroom that houses a lot more students at any given time...certainly much harder to simply close off.

That being said it would certainly been hard for me to go back to any of those classrooms since I had been in one of those classrooms days before and had he come one day later it might've been me sitting in that room. As disturbing as this may be, I have actually pictured in my head what the room must have looked like from my seat's vantage point and though I've since graduated I'm not sure I could've sat through a class there. And I don't consider myself as someone who scares easily or is very sensitive.

I'm sure your school will properly explore all solutions and make the correct one.

God Bless
02-19-2008 11:01 PM
HuskieJoe Offline
All American

I Root For:
ME Hokie 07 Wrote:From everything I gather, Cole Hall has at least one MUCH bigger classroom that houses a lot more students at any given time...certainly much harder to simply close off.

FYI - Cole Hall has two classrooms, both ~200-250 seat auditoriums.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2008 11:10 PM by HuskieJoe.)
02-19-2008 11:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.