Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does congress have nothing better to do?
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Does congress have nothing better to do?
Wasting our stolen wages on this silly baseball investigation...Somehow I think there are more pressing issues facing our country...Mitchell is a clown and so are the members of his silly committee...Another example of the foolishness we tolerate as citizens...I oppose this stupid "war on drugs"...this is another reason why...I could care less if Clemmons ODs on steroids or any other damn drug.
02-13-2008 07:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Does congress have nothing better to do?
Fo Shizzle Wrote:Wasting our stolen wages on this silly baseball investigation...Somehow I think there are more pressing issues facing our country...Mitchell is a clown and so are the members of his silly committee...Another example of the foolishness we tolerate as citizens...I oppose this stupid "war on drugs"...this is another reason why...I could care less if Clemmons ODs on steroids or any other damn drug.

From what I understand, and yes, I held the same opinion as you, is that baseball is a monopoly. Unlike football, there can't be a competing baseball organization. So, they fall under anti-trust legislation. IMO, I think they should get out of that deal. Not like someone's going to create another organization, what with the failure of the XFL and dismal attendance at Arena football games.
02-13-2008 07:33 PM
Quote this message in a reply
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
This is proof the Democrat leadership in congress is a dismal failure. It is time for CHANGE. Change in the control of the House and Senate. Time for old farts 03-old like Robert C. Byrd, Ted Kennedy, Jay Rockefeller and the rest of the old guard Democrats to step aside.
02-13-2008 07:39 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Its nothing more than an Election Year "Dog and Pony Show"...

Waxman held the hearings, now everyone can go home to their District and say "we held hearings on steroids in baseball to protect little Johnny"... which is of course garbage.

Meanwhile Roger the Liar gets a referral to a Federal Grand Jury for perjury.

I'm not sorry.. In fact, I want the contract to take down this sign off of Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston...

[Image: MHHRCIlogo182118.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2008 09:23 PM by WoodlandsOwl.)
02-13-2008 09:18 PM
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Look on the bright side, the last time they all got together they decided to send out $160 Billion in welfare checks. I for one would rather have them hanging out with ball players talking about steroids then figuring out ways to waste more of our money.

I would love to see them drag the BCS Cartel into that committee and make them explain themselves.
02-13-2008 09:18 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
Fo Shizzle Wrote:Wasting our stolen wages on this silly baseball investigation...Somehow I think there are more pressing issues facing our country...Mitchell is a clown and so are the members of his silly committee...Another example of the foolishness we tolerate as citizens...I oppose this stupid "war on drugs"...this is another reason why...I could care less if Clemmons ODs on steroids or any other damn drug.
Actually, I would prefer those pressing issues be put on the back burner and the baseball investigation in the forefront until after the elections just to keep them from screwing this country up any more than it already has been screwed. Unfortunately, it looks like the government will keep be spying on Americans and the banks will get amnesty for breaking the law.
02-13-2008 09:23 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RobertN Wrote:Actually, I would prefer those pressing issues be put on the back burner and the baseball investigation in the forefront until after the elections just to keep them from screwing this country up any more than it already has been screwed. Unfortunately, it looks like the government will keep be spying on Americans and the banks will get amnesty for breaking the law.

So...you're happy and content with the public not being made aware of what is actually happening and you'd prefer them to be focused on a baseball scandal. Got it. A little too "Idiocracy" for me, but I got it nonetheless.
02-14-2008 12:17 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
RebelKev Wrote:

From what I understand, and yes, I held the same opinion as you, is that baseball is a monopoly. Unlike football, there can't be a competing baseball organization. So, they fall under anti-trust legislation. IMO, I think they should get out of that deal. Not like someone's going to create another organization, what with the failure of the XFL and dismal attendance at Arena football games.

Of course you are correct...only the govt. can create a monopoly...This would not be an issue in a free market society.
02-14-2008 06:32 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
RebelKev Wrote:So...you're happy and content with the public not being made aware of what is actually happening and you'd prefer them to be focused on a baseball scandal. Got it. A little too "Idiocracy" for me, but I got it nonetheless.

Jason Lewis use to be on the radio here in Charlotte, and is an MBA in economics. One day I caught him talking about how he would set up Pro-Sports. It was interesting, can't remember what all he said but I do remember him saying you wouldn't have owners of individual teams, but of all the teams in a conference..something along those lines.
02-14-2008 09:25 AM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
That sounds a lot like the way the MLS is operated. I believe the league owns all the teams then farms them out to "investors" instead of owners. This lets the league set the salary structure, transfer rules, etc. while avoiding charges of antitrust & collusion.
02-14-2008 10:24 AM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
yeah, thats the more free market way to do it....this subject would be a good way to teach economics to the average joe.

the way MLB and the other big sports are set up, I'm not sure any smaller market and new franchise will ever be able to build a dynasty.

College Football is a great example as well, they've talked about trying to use anti-trust legislation agianst the BCS before. College basketball is similar, in that certain schools have an 'unfair' advantage and will always be a major player.

Now, if they'd just apply anti-trust laws to Unions for once...
02-14-2008 10:31 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RebelKev Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:Actually, I would prefer those pressing issues be put on the back burner and the baseball investigation in the forefront until after the elections just to keep them from screwing this country up any more than it already has been screwed. Unfortunately, it looks like the government will keep be spying on Americans and the banks will get amnesty for breaking the law.

So...you're happy and content with the public not being made aware of what is actually happening and you'd prefer them to be focused on a baseball scandal. Got it. A little too "Idiocracy" for me, but I got it nonetheless.
I just don't want the Republicans to **** up this country any more than they already have. Is that clear enough?
02-14-2008 12:23 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
RobertN Wrote:
RebelKev Wrote:

I just don't want the Republicans to **** up this country any more than they already have. Is that clear enough?

What is clear is that political solutions are usless and government needs to go away and let the free market do its thing in a voluntary society..practicing principles of non agression.
02-14-2008 12:30 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Apparently this is far more important than passing a new surveillance bill to help strengthen Homeland Security. The current law expires soon. Pelosi and Reid have only had 6 months.
02-14-2008 05:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.