Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

1/30/08 Edwards to quit race today.
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
1/30/08 Edwards to quit race today.
DENVER — Democrat John Edwards is exiting the presidential race today, ending a scrappy underdog bid in which he steered his rivals toward progressive ideals while grappling with family hardship that roused voters' sympathies but never diverted his campaign, The Associated Press has learned.

The two-time White House candidate notified a close circle of senior advisers that he planned to make the announcement at a 12 p.m. CST event in New Orleans that had been billed as a speech on poverty, according to two of his advisers. The decision came after Edwards lost the four states to hold nominating contests so far to rivals who stole the spotlight from the beginning — Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

The former North Carolina senator will not immediately endorse either candidate in what is now a two-person race for the Democratic nomination, said one adviser, who spoke on a condition of anonymity in advance of the announcement.

Edwards waged a spirited top-tier campaign against the two better-funded rivals, even as he dealt with the stunning blow of his wife's recurring cancer diagnosis. In a dramatic news conference last March, the couple announced that the breast cancer that she thought she had beaten had returned, but they would continue the campaign.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5498030.html
01-30-2008 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators
RE: 1/30/08 Edwards to quit race today.
Interesting, I thought he would at least take it to next week. Seems like he was going for a brokered convention.
01-30-2008 09:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
I see no reason why Edwards should not have stayed in the race at least through next Tuesday. He has enough money to last a few more months in all honesty. This sucks. I was personally hoping for a brokered convention that resulted in a darkhorse candidate that could unite the party. Neither of the remaining candidates, Democratic or Republican, do anything for me. All are horribly flawed and we, the American people, are screwed again no matter who "wins" in November.
01-30-2008 06:45 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
Krocker Krapp Wrote:I see no reason why Edwards should not have stayed in the race at least through next Tuesday. He has enough money to last a few more months in all honesty. This sucks. I was personally hoping for a brokered convention that resulted in a darkhorse candidate that could unite the party. Neither of the remaining candidates, Democratic or Republican, do anything for me. All are horribly flawed and we, the American people, are screwed again no matter who "wins" in November.
You should have run. I am sure you have no flaws. 05-stirthepot

BTW, I am not surprised that he dropped out. When he could only get in the teens in his home state, I think that is a good indicator your campaign isn't going anywhere. This gives the Edwards voters a chance to study up on Billary and Obama. I think Edwards is waiting for the right offer from one of the candidates (VP, Attrny Gen etc) before backing a candidate. If none is forthcoming, he stays out and doesn't endorse.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2008 07:07 PM by RobertN.)
01-30-2008 07:01 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
If you look at the "fine print" of his statement.. he is not "dropping out"... he is only "suspending his campaign"...

This means he keeps whatever Delegates and Super Delegates he already has.

May not be many but he is holding on the them for a reason.
01-31-2008 08:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.