Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time for subprime lenders to crap some bricks
Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Akron Zips
Time for subprime lenders to crap some bricks
http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/11/real_est...2008011114

You know they will end up having to settle and Cleveland is just the first of many cities to sue.
01-11-2008 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
RE: Time for subprime lenders to crap some bricks
Zipfanatik Wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/11/real_est...2008011114

You know they will end up having to settle and Cleveland is just the first of many cities to sue.

Just the few instances that Countrywide was caught using "recreated" (i.e. faked) documents against Borrowers/Debtors in Bankruptcy Court was enough to almost wreck the company..
01-11-2008 08:13 PM
Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

States probe banks' role in risky loans

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080112/ap_o...estigation
01-12-2008 09:16 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
That is the problem in a nutshell. The banks bundled the subprime loans into collateralized securities. Now did the investors and institutions that bought the securities KNOW they were subprime mortgages?

Now these aren't Fannie Mae securities, which are AAA rated, based upon quality loans. But Fannie Mae securities are expensive...

The securtties in the story took the worst of Countrywide, Greenlight, DiTech and other garbage mortgages. Rule No 1: You get what you pay for.
01-13-2008 10:16 AM
Advertisement

Bankerman Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Panthers
You got backwards there Mr. Owl..........

Fannie Mae securities ARE cheap; that is why investors were buying CDO (Collateralized Debt Obligations) backed (eventually) by sub-prime mortgages. If a prime borrower is getting a mortgage at 6%, you don't get much more that on whatever kind of security you are buying that is backed by that 6% mortgage. Not good when the Prime Rate was 8-3/4% or so in 2006 and most of 2007. On the other hand, a CDO backed by a sub-prime mortgage in which the poor borrower is getting clipped for 9% - 10% - 11% is a much better return. Wall Street were able to sell these CDOs by breaking them into "tranches" with different terms. The top-rated tranches had first claim to the cash flow, and thus were able to get AAA+ debt ratings from D&B, etc. Presto, by magic Wall Street had a product with a high interest rate and low risk, which investors bought by the truckload. Things went sideways when the default rate rocketed and the cash flow was not even sufficient to pay interest on the top-ranked tranches.

And BTW, most of the sub-prime mortgages were in fact bought by Fannie Mae or Freddy Mac - yes even these two quasi-government entities allowed lower credit standards. Now it is doubtful the Fannie Mae will take much of a hit, as they bundled and sold mortgages packaged with similiar charactoristics - that is, prime mortgages with other prime mortgages, sub-primes with other sub-primes. So the buyers knew what they were getting a priced the bundled to suit. The mortgages were bundled by Fannie Mae/Freddy Mac and sold as mortgaged-backed securities that are collateralized by the actual mortgage itself. Even with near-future foreclosure rates estimated at double the historical 1 to 1-1/2% level, repayment of the mortgage-backed securities themselves will probably not be a huge issue.
01-20-2008 09:14 PM
Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

NY v. Countrywide/BofA and accountants

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...refer=home
01-26-2008 10:31 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Just typical capitalism at work. The more you deregulate, the more of this type of activity you will see. It isn't a panacea.
01-26-2008 09:00 PM
Advertisement

Zipfanatik Offline
2nd String

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22953042

Merrill Lynch Sued by Massachusetts Over Subprime

Keep shorting the financials...
02-01-2008 01:50 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Think it's bad now? Wait until Hillary is elected and freezes foreclosures. How many lenders are going to be so quick to loan money then when there are no repercussions for bad decisions?
02-01-2008 02:25 PM
Quote this message in a reply
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
and with a Dem Congress, increases the Cap Gains Tax and causes a stock market crash in the process as everyone tries to sell before the tax goes into effect.

I saw my first "Anybody but Hillary" bumper sticker today...nice. Sad thing is she's to the right of Obama
02-01-2008 02:58 PM
Advertisement

jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
NIU007 Wrote:Just typical capitalism at work. The more you deregulate, the more of this type of activity you will see. It isn't a panacea.

And the companies that do it would quickly go out of business. Allowing business to fail when they make stupid decisions, instead of bailing them out, is an important part of true free market capitalism.
02-01-2008 03:18 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
GGniner Wrote:and with a Dem Congress, increases the Cap Gains Tax and causes a stock market crash in the process as everyone tries to sell before the tax goes into effect.

I saw my first "Anybody but Hillary" bumper sticker today...nice. Sad thing is she's to the right of Obama

I heard Ann Coulter "endorsed" Hillary today... calling her "more conservative than McCain".....03-puke

By the way, the Florida Attorney General opened up another investigation on Countrywide today... same garbage.. false and misleading statements made to borrowers, lying to Bankruptcy Judges, filing false documents.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2008 07:59 PM by WoodlandsOwl.)
02-01-2008 07:51 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
jh Wrote:
NIU007 Wrote:Just typical capitalism at work. The more you deregulate, the more of this type of activity you will see. It isn't a panacea.

And the companies that do it would quickly go out of business. Allowing business to fail when they make stupid decisions, instead of bailing them out, is an important part of true free market capitalism.

I agree about not bailing them out, but those businesses don't just hurt themselves. And they don't quickly go out of business - Enron was lying about corporate finances for quite a while - it's only if or when they get caught that they go out of business. Employees and shareholders, for example, get totally screwed over, while the business leaders get away with ill-gotten gains. Think Enron, WorldCom, etc. True free market capitalism is unscrupulous and immoral - these businesses will get your money any way they can, including deceptive practices. Just look at a typical commercial. Lies and deception.
02-02-2008 06:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.