Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USM academics
Bookmark and Share
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
USM academics
I want to clairfy something here because it has arisen from time to time and that concerns USM academics. If one wants to say they are poor in that regard, degree is worthless, etc then so be it, that is an opinion but really no facts I know to confirm it.

However, some may feel it is due to a probationary period the school recently served. What happened was Dr. Shelby Thames, University President, fired two tenured professors for what is said to have been insubordination. This infuriated the campus chapter of the American Association of University Professors (the professors union) and all he## broke loose. During this turmoil (there was a court hearing) those in the position for being responsible for filing a "Revision to the University Distance Learning Program (correspondence courses)" with the accrediation algency either willfully or inadvertantly failed to file the paperwork. The agency put USM on probation until it was corrected. Dr. Thames appointed a responsible group of professors and staff, the matter was taken care of and probation was lifted. THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ACADEMICS, ONLY A FAILURE TO FILE A REPORT.
02-04-2007 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wolfin1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Nevada
Re: USM academics
eager eagle Wrote:I want to clairfy something here because it has arisen from time to time and that concerns USM academics. If one wants to say they are poor in that regard, degree is worthless, etc then so be it, that is an opinion but really no facts I know to confirm it.

However, some may feel it is due to a probationary period the school recently served. What happened was Dr. Shelby Thames, University President, fired two tenured professors for what is said to have been insubordination. This infuriated the campus chapter of the American Association of University Professors (the professors union) and all he## broke loose. During this turmoil (there was a court hearing) those in the position for being responsible for filing a "Revision to the University Distance Learning Program (correspondence courses)" with the accrediation algency either willfully or inadvertantly failed to file the paperwork. The agency put USM on probation until it was corrected. Dr. Thames appointed a responsible group of professors and staff, the matter was taken care of and probation was lifted. THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ACADEMICS, ONLY A FAILURE TO FILE A REPORT.

all righty then
02-04-2007 10:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Six Pack Offline
2nd String

No offense eagle...but I had to google search USM to know what you were talking about.

Did I miss something here? Why is USM academics a topic of discussion on the WAC board? 01-wingedeagle

Please go right ahead and discuss if you wish...but I'm obviously missing something here.
02-05-2007 03:01 AM
blueidaho Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

WOW! is all I can say. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Who is USM?
02-05-2007 06:24 AM
Advertisement

Broncoguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

USM is the Univ. of Southern Montana. errrr, well maybe. ;-)
02-05-2007 01:02 PM
LATech95 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

EE loves to run LA Tech in the ground. We have been stealing some recruits from them this year, and they are all agitated. In response, some of our fans have been pointing out USM's academic standings. I guess this is what led to him posting this here.
02-05-2007 11:03 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:

LATech95 Wrote:EE loves to run LA Tech in the ground. We have been stealing some recruits from them this year, and they are all agitated. In response, some of our fans have been pointing out USM's academic standings. I guess this is what led to him posting this here.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Any recruit electing to attend La Tech rather than USM did so because he wants to play right away rather than warming the bench for at least two years. I would make the same choice if in their shoes.
02-06-2007 09:31 AM
Advertisement

wolfin1 Offline
2nd String

eager eagle Wrote:
LATech95 Wrote:EE loves to run LA Tech in the ground. We have been stealing some recruits from them this year, and they are all agitated. In response, some of our fans have been pointing out USM's academic standings. I guess this is what led to him posting this here.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Any recruit electing to attend La Tech rather than USM did so because he wants to play right away rather than warming the bench for at least two years. I would make the same choice if in their shoes.

So you wouldn't want to play for your alma mater either? Thats a pretty persuasive argument you got going there.
02-06-2007 01:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Utah State

My favorite hypo about this:

I asked a friend if he would rather ride the pine for 2 to 3 years at a BCS school, or would rather go to another school where he could be "the man" for 4 straight years (or less if they go pro). I was thinking about athletes like Marshall Faulk, Garret Wolfe, Kevin Curtis, etc...

His response was "I think I'd go to byu no matter what." I thought to myself that his response explained a lot.
02-06-2007 01:51 PM
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

My favorite hypo about this:

I asked a friend if he would rather ride the pine for 2 to 3 years at a BCS school, or would rather go to another school where he could be "the man" for 4 straight years (or less if they go pro). I was thinking about athletes like Marshall Faulk, Garret Wolfe, Kevin Curtis, etc...

His response was "I think I'd go to byu no matter what." I thought to myself that his response explained a lot.
02-06-2007 01:51 PM
Advertisement

wolfin1 Offline
2nd String

ultramagnus Wrote:My favorite hypo about this:

I snorted the first time. The second, not so much.
02-06-2007 02:15 PM
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

Sorry....I got some kind of error message when I hit the submit button, had to exit out of internet explorer, and when I checked back, it had posted twice. 05-hide

At least it was funny enough to make 1 person snort once!
02-06-2007 04:24 PM
johnnylightnin Offline
Huh?

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

eager eagle Wrote:Any recruit electing to attend La Tech rather than USM did so because he wants to play right away rather than warming the bench for at least two years. I would make the same choice if in their shoes.

lmfao

This is too good.
02-06-2007 08:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.