Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SJSU @ Nevada To Be On ABC-TV
Bookmark and Share
SJSdude Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: San Jose State
SJSU @ Nevada To Be On ABC-TV
San Jose State-Nevada football picked for ABC TV; kickoff now 4:00 p.m.
Courtesy: San Jose State Athletics
Release: 06/08/2006

For the second season in a row, the San Jose State University-University of Nevada football game will be televised on a regional basis by ABC-TV Sports as part of the Western Athletic Conference?s national television contract.
The two teams are scheduled to meet, Saturday, October 21, at Mackay Stadium on the University of Nevada campus. Game time, originally listed at 1:05 p.m., now is 4:00 p.m. (PDT).

?We are delighted ABC Sports is featuring San Jose State University again this season. Last year, we gave our fans and the ABC viewing audience a very exciting and entertaining game that was not decided until late in the fourth quarter. We?re looking forward to another afternoon of very competitive football from our Spartans against the Wolf Pack,? said Tom Bowen, San Jose State University?s director of athletics.

?We?re looking forward to playing the University of Nevada on ABC again. This is a wonderful opportunity to showcase our program and it will be an important game for both teams in the race for the WAC championship,? said Dick Tomey, who is entering his second season as the San Jose State football head coach.

The 2006 San Jose State-Nevada game will mark the Spartans? 12th appearance on an over-the-air network broadcast ? the most by any current Western Athletic Conference member. The Spartans have 10 previous appearances on ABC-TV dating back to 1975 and the 1982 San Jose State-Stanford game carried by CBS-TV.

2006 San Jose State University Football Schedule

Sept. 2 @Washington 12:30 p.m. (PDT)
SEPT. 9 STANFORD 3:00 p.m. (PDT)
SEPT. 23 CAL POLY 3:00 p.m. (PDT)
SEPT. 30 SAN DIEGO STATE 3:00 p.m. (PDT)
OCT. 14 *UTAH STATE (Homecoming) 3:00 p.m. (PDT)
Oct. 21 *@Nevada (ABC-TV) 4:00 p.m. (PDT)
OCT. 28 *LOUISIANA TECH 3:00 p.m. (PDT)
Nov. 4 *@New Mexico State 6:00 p.m. (MST)
NOV. 11 *BOISE STATE 3:00 p.m. (PST)
Nov. 18 *@Hawaii 6:05 p.m. (HST)
Nov. 25 *@Idaho 2:00 p.m. (PST)
DEC. 2 *FRESNO STATE 3:00 p.m. (PST)

? - Western Athletic Conference game
local time listed for all games
dates & times subject to change

http://www.sjsuspartans.com/ViewArticle....LID=291961
06-08-2006 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah State
Re: SJSU @ Nevada To Be On ABC-TV
We need to be at a point in the WAC where we're proud to expose our lesser teams and venues on national tv. We all know that Nevada hasn't had the WAC's best attendance and we all know that SJSU hasn't been the WAC's best team. What I'm trying to say is that it's time for those under the spotlight to shine. If we don't shine, ABC and/or the WAC may regret exposing them. I hope we shine! If this isn't a call for people in Reno to show up and support the Wolfpack, I don't know what is.

Go WAC!
06-08-2006 04:49 PM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:

This is good news for SJSU, Nevada, and the WAC.

The best part about this is that the season is still 3 months away and the WAC already has 11 games on ESPN or ESPN2.

...and one game on ABC.

I'm confident that more are on the way... ;-)

Like I mentioned on another thread, the WAC elders will remember the year 2006 as the catalyst that transformed the WAC from a good conference...to a great conference.
06-08-2006 05:06 PM
SpartaRick Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: San Jose State
EJMPalle
Last year the ABC televised game between these same two schools produced a real thriller. What looked to be a Nevada rout turned to a SJSU comeback and a tie game. The Wolfpack then pulled it out, late in the fourth. It could be that that great game is the reason for the ABC reschedule.
06-08-2006 06:59 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Re: EJMPalle
SpartaRick Wrote:Last year the ABC televised game between these same two schools produced a real thriller. What looked to be a Nevada rout turned to a SJSU comeback and a tie game. The Wolfpack then pulled it out, late in the fourth. It could be that that great game is the reason for the ABC reschedule.
Hate to sound like a downer, but they did pick one of the two weeks that they won't be televising primetime games on a national or split national basis. 10/21 and 10/28 were passed by ABC because of the World Series.

The game will be on Game Plan, so those outside of the west coast can seek it out, but I remember the coverage map for last year's game between the two teams was incredibly small. Only a portion of the Pacific time zone saw the game, so half the conference (USU, NM St., La. Tech, BSU and UI) wasn't shown the game.
06-08-2006 07:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I think it's breaks like this that Tomey is looking for though. Playing on ABC in a "smaller" media window is still going to be a big "plus" for Tomey's program. If the game is shown in his "recruiting" area, he'll milk it for everything it's worth. Not one drop will be wasted.

I don't think there's a WAC school that would turn down the opportunity to play on ABC...no matter how small the window...unless ESPN or ESPN2 came calling.

I'm not as familiar with Ault, but he'll probably drop "ABC's" name as well when potential recruits are in town.
06-08-2006 08:22 PM
erdaaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USU

This is good news. The ratings must have been decent for last year's game for ABC to decide to air them again. The time could be complained about, but still this is network TV. I hope the WAC gets one more on ABC, last year Fresno@Hawaii was also picked up. It would be nice for the exposure.
06-08-2006 10:18 PM
Advertisement

WAC_FAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Baseball Genius

I'm stunned! I thought I read that SJSU-Nevada was the lowest rated ABC game last year.
06-09-2006 10:37 AM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:

No matter how we slice it...the WAC has become a very important partner to ESPN/ABC.

...obviously, more so with ESPN.

This "partnership" is really going to do wonders for the WAC. ;-)
06-09-2006 01:06 PM
aggiefansince83 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NMSU Aggies

Yeah I like the tv channels the WAC is on. I mean what do recruits want to hear? You will be playing on ESPN/ABC or on the brokeback network or whatever.

While the TV deal is in place I look for WAC teams to pass MWC teams in talent level in the next several years as the better recruits choose WAC schools over MWC schools.

I want to see the game on ABC. Just my opinion but I would rather watch college football instead of the world series anyday. To me baseball season ends on college football opening weekend.
06-09-2006 02:17 PM
Advertisement

wolf pack 1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Well the game last year wasn't even broadcast in certain areas of the west coast so not even everyone on the west coast go the game. I think parts of Washington and Oregon never got the game so like someone said it was a smaller area than usual for that game.

However I think there will be more coverage of it this time around since we went to a bowl game last year and last year's game was pretty good.

But I might be the only one to notice this but isn't it strange that SJ STate is having homecoming after being home for three straight weeks leading into the homecoming game against Utah St.?
06-10-2006 06:44 PM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Only on the west coast. East coast people won't be able to get the game.
06-12-2006 10:40 PM
wolf pack 1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

yeah but maybe this year, more people on the west coast will see the game than last year when it wasn't even broadcasted in certain parts of the west.
06-14-2006 12:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.