Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GMAC Bowl home of South Alabama Football
Bookmark and Share
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
GMAC Bowl home of South Alabama Football
The BoT approved football for the University of South Alabama along with a 200-member marching band.

“This is a good day for the Sun Belt Conference,” Commissioner Wright Waters said. “We are prepared to do whatever we can to help South Alabama, including with scheduling. As soon as they get their Division I-A certification, they will walk in automatically as our 10th football member.”

The Jaguars will begin their schedule at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in downtown Mobile in the fall of 2009. The 40,000-seat facility is home to the GMAC Bowl and the Senior Bowl, plus numerous high school football games each year.

http://www.usajaguars.com/ViewArticle.db...ID=1349218
12-06-2007 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
RE: GMAC Bowl home of South Alabama Football
This might possibly be the first step in the GMAC Bowl one day becoming a MAC vs. Sun Belt affair. According to a thread on the CUSA board the other day, their current GMAC Bowl contract expires in 2008, rather than 2009. Does anyone know if 2009 is the last year of the current MAC contract with the GMAC Bowl or is it a different year? I was a little surprised by that CUSA tidbit because I previously assumed that every current bowl contract would be in effect through at least 2009.
12-06-2007 02:59 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Krocker Krapp Wrote:This might possibly be the first step in the GMAC Bowl one day becoming a MAC vs. Sun Belt affair. According to a thread on the CUSA board the other day, their current GMAC Bowl contract expires in 2008, rather than 2009. Does anyone know if 2009 is the last year of the current MAC contract with the GMAC Bowl or is it a different year? I was a little surprised by that CUSA tidbit because I previously assumed that every current bowl contract would be in effect through at least 2009.

I'd say the Sun Belt deserves to be affiliated with it over CUSA. CUSA hasn't provided the MAC with much competition in the game in its 6 years (MAC is 5-1). Not to mention, CUSA already has more bowls than it deserves.
12-06-2007 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I can see the SBC in the GMAC but I doubt C-USA will just walk away from the game for no reason.

I hope WE don't lose it (to SBC).

What will probably happen after '09 (?) is that there will be bowl shuffling.

I'd expect C-USA to lose some that they didn't create themselves but this might be wishful thinking.

We have 3 bowls which we hold that we need to protect.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2007 04:54 AM by emu steve.)
12-07-2007 04:48 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Snoop,

Remember, so long as C-USA can afford to guarantee ticket sales, etc. they are desirable to those bowls.

C-USA is not a poor conference so they can 'buy their way' into things MAC, SBC, etc. can not.

It is imperative that the MAC have the finacial resources to be able to guarantee bowls the number of ticket sales they require.
12-07-2007 04:58 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
This bowl is perfect for the MAC, and I really hope we don't lose it.
12-07-2007 07:17 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Krocker Krapp Wrote:This might possibly be the first step in the GMAC Bowl one day becoming a MAC vs. Sun Belt affair. According to a thread on the CUSA board the other day, their current GMAC Bowl contract expires in 2008, rather than 2009. Does anyone know if 2009 is the last year of the current MAC contract with the GMAC Bowl or is it a different year? I was a little surprised by that CUSA tidbit because I previously assumed that every current bowl contract would be in effect through at least 2009.

I think that is a very unlikely match up.. If the sunbelt took the bowl.. I would expect it to end up CUSA/Sunbelt. not Mac/Sunbelt. Cusa has 3 or 4 schools within easy driving distance of mobile..
12-07-2007 07:34 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Probably would be SBC/CUSA. Nobody knows or cares what the MAC's record is there outside of a few MAC fans. How many fans are knowledgeable or interested about conf. vs conf bowl records? It's just a point of argument for the message boards. Two warm weather non-major conferences with relatively easy travel to Mobile: easy call. MAC had better be ready to pony up big time to keep this bowl.
12-07-2007 07:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

axeme Wrote:Probably would be SBC/CUSA. Nobody knows or cares what the MAC's record is there outside of a few MAC fans. How many fans are knowledgeable or interested about conf. vs conf bowl records? It's just a point of argument for the message boards. Two warm weather non-major conferences with relatively easy travel to Mobile: easy call. MAC had better be ready to pony up big time to keep this bowl.

MAC ought to be trying, re-trying I guess to be accurate, to get a bowl in Indy.

IF we lose GMAC we need another bowl which we helped create to which is tied to us by the umbilical cord.

BTW, the GMAC was essentially created for Marshall. At the time Marshall was tired of going to Pontiac and needed another bowl. C-USA folks were looking at Marshall back then as a possible member and the bowl was born. I believe Ron Franklin was heavily involved.

Bowls don't just sprote like weeds. They originate to meet a REAL unmet need for at least one conference.

Hawaii Bowl for Hawaii. Boise Bowl for Boise. I Bowl as we were desperate for a 3rd bowl.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2007 10:51 AM by emu steve.)
12-07-2007 10:46 AM
RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
axeme Wrote:Probably would be SBC/CUSA. Nobody knows or cares what the MAC's record is there outside of a few MAC fans. How many fans are knowledgeable or interested about conf. vs conf bowl records? It's just a point of argument for the message boards. Two warm weather non-major conferences with relatively easy travel to Mobile: easy call. MAC had better be ready to pony up big time to keep this bowl.

I hope your wrong because I like Mobile and look forward to going back some day. The people of the South love the style of football we play in the MAC so I think there's a good chance that the MAC retains this tie-in.
12-07-2007 11:19 AM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

RocketJeff Wrote:

I hope your wrong because I like Mobile and look forward to going back some day. The people of the South love the style of football we play in the MAC so I think there's a good chance that the MAC retains this tie-in.

Since the SBC already plays CUSA in the NO Bowl, my preference would be a MAC/SBC game. The SBC Commish said earlier this year the SBC would pick up a bowl in the Southeast so this could be the one or NOT? The CUSA contract is approaching its renewal date so we will see. 05-stirthepot
12-07-2007 11:53 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies

I doubt any of them care about a CUSA team down there moreso than a MAC team. The game is supported down there because of the love of football those people have.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2007 12:54 PM by epasnoopy.)
12-07-2007 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doggone Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
ManzanoWolf Wrote:
RocketJeff Wrote:

Since the SBC already plays CUSA in the NO Bowl, my preference would be a MAC/SBC game. The SBC Commish said earlier this year the SBC would pick up a bowl in the Southeast so this could be the one or NOT? The CUSA contract is approaching its renewal date so we will see. 05-stirthepot

Manzano,

I thought I heard that Sun Belt was trying to create a new bowl at FAU's new stadium. Any truth to that?
12-07-2007 12:55 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Doggone Wrote:
ManzanoWolf Wrote:
RocketJeff Wrote:

Manzano,

I thought I heard that Sun Belt was trying to create a new bowl at FAU's new stadium. Any truth to that?

That is a rumor that has been circulating on the Internet, I first saw it on the CUSA Board. I have seen no confirmation for that rumor yet, but the SBC Commish definitely wants a Florida bowl so where there is smoke there may be fire!
12-07-2007 02:37 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
So lemme get this straight. If we lose the GMAC and "relocate" to a bowl in Indianapolis, our bowl destinations are Indy, Detroit, and Toronto?

Wow, I bet the recruits will just line up.
12-07-2007 03:40 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
emu steve Wrote:I believe Ron Franklin was heavily involved.

Right broadcast team (back then), wrong broadcaster. Mike Gottfried helped create the bowl. This was when Franklin and Gottfried were the broadcast team for the ESPN primetime game.
12-07-2007 03:46 PM
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
The GMAC is a great bowl for the MAC......it's mostly always a winnable game, the locals support the bowl thus good crowds are mostly guaranteed. If SunBelt gets a spot in this bowl, I would agree that with their local presence, C-USA would be the likely candidate to keep the other slot. Working in the MAC's favor is that some of the C-USA teams are pretty local, so some of their fans come in and out the same day.....in some years the MAC teams have taken a fair # of fans, and they stayover in Mobile a night or two and spend some bucks....I think that the GMAC folks have been pretty happy with the MAC so far.
12-07-2007 04:10 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
As a longtime Mobilian (21 years), I can agree that the city's economic impact will have an influence in determining who plays in the GMAC Bowl. Now that the game has been moved to January, Mobile could use the extra volume at the Airport and in hotels-not that either were particularly bursting at the seams in December.

South Alabama joining the Sun Belt for football-although still six years away-probably is enough to send Conference USA packing. The city would need something to offset what would amount to a seventh Jaguar home game. Troy's recent success probably also makes it an easier decision.
12-07-2007 07:20 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
emu steve Wrote:

MAC ought to be trying, re-trying I guess to be accurate, to get a bowl in Indy.

IF we lose GMAC we need another bowl which we helped create to which is tied to us by the umbilical cord.

BTW, the GMAC was essentially created for Marshall. At the time Marshall was tired of going to Pontiac and needed another bowl. C-USA folks were looking at Marshall back then as a possible member and the bowl was born. I believe Ron Franklin was heavily involved.

I'm nervous about the MAC keeping the GMAC with USA's move up.

Reports from the Sun Belt commissoner have said that the Sun Belt will have a second bowl in place for when Western Kentucky arrives as the 9th member.

The Sun Belt of all non-BCS conferences has the greatest upside from where it is currently. FAU is now rolling as a FBS program winning the SBC this year. Florida International is going to take more time to get there but it will happen. Then if you are talking a league of 9 even 10 teams that is going to produce more bowl elgibles. Thus far the league has never had more than two elgible and certainly not deserving of more than two but that will change.

The SBC will offer the GMAC its #1 pick and that will be very hard for the bowl to turn down.

I'd like to see the MAC pull out of the GMAC and try to get into the Independence Bowl with the Big XII vacating. That would be a matchup for the MAC against the SEC.

The MAC should focus on only playing BCS conferences in bowl games.

1.Independence vs. SEC
2.Motor City vs. Big Ten
3.International vs. Big East
4.St. Louis vs. Big XII
5.D.C. (MAC/Army/Navy) vs. ACC

Four regular tie-ins, then as a backup for Army/Navy in the D.C game.

So for this year it would be:

Independence (CMU)
Motor City (Bowling Green)
International (Ball State)
St. Louis (MU)
DC (Navy)
12-07-2007 08:35 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I would think the ACC might be intrested in GMAC, if they really want out of SF & Boise & have no place to go.
12-07-2007 08:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.