Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will Hawkins leave BSU if Colorado wants him?
Bookmark and Share
nwp Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Will Hawkins leave BSU if Colorado wants him?
I thought he said he was in Boise long term, especially since his Son will play there. If he does decide to 05-stirthepot leave for another school, would Boise promote an assistant coach as in the past? Just curious.
12-13-2005 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gaard Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Re: Will Hawkins leave BSU if Colorado wants him?
nwp Wrote:I thought he said he was in Boise long term, especially since his Son will play there. If he does decide to 05-stirthepot leave for another school, would Boise promote an assistant coach as in the past? Just curious.

We are still waiting. He will do what is right for the situation.
12-13-2005 03:50 PM
johnnylightnin Offline
Huh?

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

I guess this is the plight of the "mid-major". Hawkins has made Boise what it is today. I think Colorado would see almost immediate improvement. He wouldn't even have anyone to recruit against...for Boise's sake, I hope he stays. He's a great coach and he's been great for the WAC.
12-13-2005 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wolf Pack Jack Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

He has said he wants to stay in Boise, so could he be using the Colorado interview for leverage to get a little more money? I know they cant pay what Colorado can pay, but if he really wants to stay in Boise for a while a little more money would be nice still

It would suck for Boise AND the WAC to lose him, but they have always seemed to make good hires....Allen, Nutt, Koetter (sp)
12-13-2005 04:29 PM
namssa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Colorado interviews BSU's Hawkins
Colorado interviews BSU's Hawkins

Chadd Cripe

The Idaho Statesman | Edition Date: 12-13-2005

Boise State football coach Dan Hawkins has talked with University of Colorado representatives about their vacant head-coaching job, he said Monday.

Hawkins would not give details about the meeting, but ESPN.com reported that it happened Saturday in Idaho.

Pressed for details, Hawkins said repeatedly, "I talked to them."

Colorado also interviewed UCLA assistant Jon Embree, a former Colorado tight end, on Sunday.

Hawkins said the meeting did "not necessarily" change his interest level in the position.

"I don't even know if there's a case to be interested in," Hawkins said. "I don't know where it goes from here." Colorado did not give him a timetable for the process, he said.

Hawkins is 53-10 with four straight Western Athletic Conference championships at BSU. He's in the first year of a five-year contract worth more than $2.6 million with a buyout of $850,000.

He expressed interest in the Colorado job last week because it combines a family-friendly town in the West (Boulder, Colo.) with a history of football success (co-national title in 1990, four Big 12 North titles in the past five years).

He also appears to fit the profile set by Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn, who is a former University of Idaho athletic director.

Bohn told the Daily Camera of Boulder that he wants a high-energy, people person who wants to stay at Colorado long term.

"We don't want someone who is going to come here for four or five years," Bohn told the Daily Camera. "We want someone who is going to come here and take this program back to the top 20 and keep it there for 15 years."

Other candidates, according to The Associated Press, include former University of Miami and Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis, Denver Broncos assistant Tim Brewster and former Colorado star Dave Logan.

Bohn hopes to name a replacement for Gary Barnett before the Buffaloes play in the Dec. 27 Champs Sports Bowl against Clemson. Barnett was forced out last week after a tenure packed with off-the-field controversy.

"It's an incredibly diverse talent pool," Bohn told The Associated Press. "I'm excited about the progress."

Colorado is the latest in a long line of schools to pursue Hawkins, who was the assistant head coach at BSU under Dirk Koetter from 1998 to 2000 and before that was 40-11-1 in five years as the head coach at Willamette University in Oregon.

Hawkins also has surfaced as a candidate for jobs at Baylor, Utah, Oregon State, Washington, Arizona, Stanford, Notre Dame and Kansas State during his run as the Broncos' head coach.

His future was a topic with eight recruits who visited BSU over the weekend. Hawkins plans to leave on another recruiting trip today, and more recruits will visit this coming weekend.

"I'm always honest with those guys," Hawkins said. "My name comes up all the time. I explain the nature of Division I football to all these guys."

Hawkins often has said he likes to meet with schools about their coaching vacancies because each interview is a learning experience. But several factors have kept him at BSU, including family commitments and the progress made on projects such as the indoor training facility the Broncos may use for the first time this week and the luxury suites complex planned in the next few years.

His coaching staff also would enter into any decision, and offensive coordinator Chris Petersen, defensive coordinator Ron Collins, special teams coordinator Kent Riddle and assistant head coach Chris Strausser have been in Boise with Hawkins for five years.

Hawkins, who recently built a home in Boise, has two daughters at out-of-state colleges and two sons at Bishop Kelly High. His oldest son, Cody, was just named The Idaho Statesman's 4A Player of the Year as a quarterback and plans to walk on at Boise State in December 2006.

His younger son, Drew, is a sophomore.

Dan Hawkins said he will dive back into his business at Boise State, which includes preparing for the Dec. 28 MPC Computers Bowl against Boston College, while Colorado moves through its process.

"I'm all about Boise State, and I always have been," he said.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs..../512130371
12-13-2005 05:01 PM
USU78 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quote:family-friendly town in the West (Boulder, Colo.)

The People's Republic of Boulder . . . family friendly?

04-jawdrop 05-footinmouth lmfao
12-13-2005 05:42 PM
Advertisement

namssa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Remember current Colorado AD Mike Bohn was the AD at Idaho only about 2 years ago, so he probably knows Hawkins well. I can see Hawkins being the next coach at CU.
12-13-2005 06:30 PM
Roughrider Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

They want Hawk from all accounts. He's now the clear #1 given that Butch Davis pulled out....

IF he goes, and that's a big if, we're hopeful that coach Peterson wants to be a head coach. He said he didn't 2-3 years ago but things change. Also, he gets more as OC in Boise than CU paid thier past OC and CU is in dire financial straits right now. We have more season ticket holders too. On the outside, CU is a shaky deal and Hawk would have to know something we don't to take it.

There's a growing sentement that if he goes, fine. We move on. Fans and big boosters were 'promised' he would stay if certain things happened (indoor facility, stadium expansion and luxury suites, etc) and those things are all happening...it would sting if he acted like every other college football coach and left anyway. But that won't be the end of us, we were scared when Houston Nutt left and Koetter took us a to new level. We were scared when Koetter left and Hawk took us to a new level. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for another change.

namssa Wrote:Remember current Colorado AD Mike Bohn was the AD at Idaho only about 2 years ago, so he probably knows Hawkins well. I can see Hawkins being the next coach at CU.
12-13-2005 09:38 PM
erdaaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USU

Roughrider Wrote:They want Hawk from all accounts. He's now the clear #1 given that Butch Davis pulled out....

IF he goes, and that's a big if, we're hopeful that coach Peterson wants to be a head coach. He said he didn't 2-3 years ago but things change. Also, he gets more as OC in Boise than CU paid thier past OC and CU is in dire financial straits right now. We have more season ticket holders too. On the outside, CU is a shaky deal and Hawk would have to know something we don't to take it.

There's a growing sentement that if he goes, fine. We move on. Fans and big boosters were 'promised' he would stay if certain things happened (indoor facility, stadium expansion and luxury suites, etc) and those things are all happening...it would sting if he acted like every other college football coach and left anyway. But that won't be the end of us, we were scared when Houston Nutt left and Koetter took us a to new level. We were scared when Koetter left and Hawk took us to a new level. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for another change.

namssa Wrote:Remember current Colorado AD Mike Bohn was the AD at Idaho only about 2 years ago, so he probably knows Hawkins well. I can see Hawkins being the next coach at CU.

Well the same thing happened (kind of) to USU basketball and Nevada's basketball as well. In 1997 Larry Eustachy took USU to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 10 years after rebuilding the program that the previous coach had not done well with. He had a couple of NIT appearances as well. He left for Iowa State. USU hired Stew Morrill and USU has won more games than any other coach over the past 6 years besides Duke, Gonzaga, and Illinois.

Nevada went to the Sweet 16 and then lost Trent Johnson. Mark Fox seems to be doing quite well now. When you have facilities and good players it makes coaches jobs easier.
12-13-2005 11:38 PM
BarkBoard Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Looks like he is gone:

http://mb8.scout.com/ffresnostatefrm1.sh...6105.topic

I think it has a great deal to do with him wanting to move up into a higher profile team, the area and more money.

Hawkins is very much going to be missed.
12-14-2005 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies
Five Years Of Hawk.....
Boise State was lucky to have such a fine coach for 5 years...
Hawk always said that Tradition Does Not Graduate...
I would add that Tradition does not leave with a coach...

Boise State has won at all levels and will continue to win if the have a new coach....

If Hawk does indeed leave, it looks like the OC, Peterson will become the head coach...

If this happens, recruiting should stay on track......

Interesting week here in Boise.....
12-14-2005 11:18 AM
Advertisement

Broncoguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Hawk is gone, BUT, we keep Coach Pete as new head coach and also the Def Coach Collins and 3 or 4 asst/ coachs. All is not lost, really don't think Boise State will miss a beat, errrr, I hope.

GO BRONCOS GO WAC
12-14-2005 12:16 PM
namssa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I don't think BSU will lose a beat when Hawkins goes to CU. Petersen will be just as good a coach.
12-14-2005 01:26 PM
nwp Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Assuming Hawkins is leaving. Would he try to take his assistants with him, or leave what he has helped build in Boise alone. Either way it seems it would be a huge temptation to just move the whole Boise football coaching machine to Boulder. I guess we all find out soon. Colorado has the bucks to pay an assistant coach alot more money than Boise can.
12-14-2005 02:19 PM
nwp Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I just read a post by Nampa Bronco over on the MWC board. It says OC Chris Peterson will be the new BSU head coach and 3 or 4 assistants are also staying. Is this official or just speculation at this point in Boise?
12-14-2005 02:39 PM
Slapdad Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
the thing is....
at some point, the string of coaches leaving catches up to a team. The foundation for all of this was really Nutt, who hired great assistants. One by one, they are plucked and no one can really tell how the next assistant will do as a HC....it's a lot different than being an assistant coach. And then you need to wonder about the assistants that were hired under Koetter and Hawkins...are they the same quality as the assistants Nutt hired? Does the Peter Principle apply here or does BSU get lucky again?

While it would be bad for the WAC for BSU to fall to the cellar, it could very well be that they slip to 3rd/4th best team and another team takes their place. I know that Nevada had a great recruiting class last year and this year's is shaping up to be even better, so maybe Nevada (or another team....I think USU and Hawaii have a great foundation to be very good).

In which case, if the media looks at the WAC and they see strong FSU, Nevada, Hawaii teams and a BSU team that is still strong, just not dominant, it could help the WAC's image.

Hard to say how it will all play out.
12-14-2005 02:54 PM
Advertisement

clpack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nevada

Since speculation is running rampant...it looks like Hawkins is raiding Koetter's staff as we type.

From http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=55151

[i]While Koetter has the security of an imminent extension, he might soon have to make some staff changes if the anticipated hiring of Boise State
12-14-2005 04:09 PM
jediwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For:

BSU was totally dominent in football last few years. No WAC team came close to them. And during the off-season, they too, had a great recruiting class.

But, with Hawkins at the helm this year, they lost to a WAC team, and nearly had a 2nd WAC loss.

A lot of WAC schools had great recruiting classes in 2005...and the play on the field proved it.

I still look for BSU to be a top team...but I don't suspect that they're going to "blow-out" any of the top 5 WAC teams. I expect the games to be very competitive.
12-14-2005 06:35 PM
nvspuds Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

jediwarrior Wrote:BSU was totally dominent in football last few years. No WAC team came close to them. And during the off-season, they too, had a great recruiting class.

But, with Hawkins at the helm this year, they lost to a WAC team, and nearly had a 2nd WAC loss.

A lot of WAC schools had great recruiting classes in 2005...and the play on the field proved it.

I still look for BSU to be a top team...but I don't suspect that they're going to "blow-out" any of the top 5 WAC teams. I expect the games to be very competitive.

I think there will be more parity in the league..However, losing Hawkins isn't going to hurt the Boise program all that much..The basics are all still in place.
12-14-2005 07:13 PM
titan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Re: the thing is....
Slapdad Wrote:at some point, the string of coaches leaving catches up to a team. The foundation for all of this was really Nutt, who hired great assistants. One by one, they are plucked and no one can really tell how the next assistant will do as a HC....it's a lot different than being an assistant coach. And then you need to wonder about the assistants that were hired under Koetter and Hawkins...are they the same quality as the assistants Nutt hired? Does the Peter Principle apply here or does BSU get lucky again?

Just to be clear slapdad, Nutt took almost his whole staff, if not his whole staff, to Arkansas. I don't think there were any substantive holdovers onto Koetters staff. Dirk hired Hawk and Gregory almost right away and Hawk went out on the recruiting trail to try to get some recruits and not lose those that had given commitments. When Dirk left he took all his assitants but Hawk and one other.

My point is, there has been a bunch of staff turnover when we switch coaches.

By the way, Nutts assistants were by far the worst. Shoot, many were relatives.
12-14-2005 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.