Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How the W.A.C. ended up
Bookmark and Share
BlueManBronco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Wow, after La Tech's impressive win at Fresno State yesterday it seems that this is how the W.A.C. shook out:

# 1. Boise State - Tied with Nevada for 1st place in the W.A.C., however, Boise State defeated Nevada 49-14 this year.

# 2. Nevada - Tied with Boise State for 1st place in the W.A.C., but lost to BSU 49-14.

# 3. Louisiana Tech - Tied with Fresno State for 3rd place in the W.A.C., but La Tech defeated Fresno State (on FSU's home field no less!!).

# 4. Fresno State - Tied with La Tech for 3rd place in the W.A.C. but lost 28-40 to La Tech.

# 5. Hawaii - Sole possession of fifth place in the W.A.C. this season. Finished off the season with a nice win over San Diego State.

# 6. Three way tie between San Jose State, Utah State and Idaho. San Jose State lost to Utah State, but SJS also beat Idaho. Idaho beat Utah State, but lost to SJS. Utah State lost to Idaho but they beat SJS.

# 9. New Mexico State - 0-12 baby. No place to go but up.

So, does this mean that the W.A.C. is sending their FOURTH PLACE team to the Liberty Bowl?? :D
12-04-2005 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogsWin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

Yes. So much for "Wheeler Dealer" Benson.
12-04-2005 06:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WAC_FAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Baseball Genius

From what I understand, the WAC bent over backwards to try and get LaTech into Motor City. The bottom line was that LaTech isn't an attractive Bowl team, at least compared to Memphis. (Arguably the premiere overall program in CUSA)

Next year we are going to have similar problems with 6-6 teams being Bowl Eligible. (In a 12 game season) The WAC Presidents better get us a 3rd Bowl Tie-In.
12-04-2005 07:01 PM
Advertisement

BlueManBronco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

That makes no sense at all. Benson had nothing to do with that. The Liberty Bowl saw Fresno STate play USC and they tagged FSU as "their team" after that game. Then the Liberty Bowl extended FSU an invite to their bowl game and FSU immediately accepted. I think the LIberty Bowl now regrets doing it so early, but they made the invite and FSU accepted. Benson's got virtually nothing to do with it.

Sounds to me as if you are just sour because La Tech got left out of the bowl games. 04-drinky
Ktulu7 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

It's alright, as a LaTech fan, I'm used to being let down and blown off. This is typical. We could play the top 4 ranked BCS teams, and go undefeated and all we'd get is a trip to the Monestat Bowl.
Advertisement

Aggieboy Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Ktulu7,s Monestat Bowl, That's funny :)

Keep it up!!!!
12-04-2005 10:54 PM
BigDog13 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

We just need a third tie in. That would solve the problem. If you are not in the top-3 you have only yourself to blame.

I guess I don't understand the GMAC bowl wanting a MAC team instead of us. I know we would travel more than they would (ask Rice and SMU) I also feel like on the field we are better than the MAC bowl reps. Oh well......
12-04-2005 11:02 PM
Advertisement

DogsWin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

A third WAC bowl isn't going to happen. We only invest in two bowls and stopped investing in the GMAC bowl. That's why the EWAC left.
12-04-2005 11:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wolf pack 1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Well with bowl agreements changing and you never know about other bowls dropping out, WAC could squeeze a third.
12-05-2005 02:24 AM
Advertisement

BlueManBronco Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

BigDog13 Wrote:We just need a third tie in. That would solve the problem. If you are not in the top-3 you have only yourself to blame.

I guess I don't understand the GMAC bowl wanting a MAC team instead of us. I know we would travel more than they would (ask Rice and SMU) I also feel like on the field we are better than the MAC bowl reps. Oh well......
I agree that the WAC needs another bowl tie-in. We used to have one if you recall. But it went bellyup (the woeful Silicon Valley Bowl game). I've been saying for years that the cities of Reno or Fresno should step up to the plate and start a bowl game. After all if the city of Boise (half the size of Reno and one third the size of Fresno) can put together a bowl game in their climate then why on earth can't Fresno or Reno do likewise? Hmmmmm?? Someone please explain that one to me.

As to La Tech being left out of the bowls. You weren't the only ones left out. New Mexico (6-5) of the "superior" Mtn. Worst Conference was also left out. And so was Bowling Green (6-5), Western Michigan (7-4), and Miami, OH. (7-4) and Northern Illinois (7-5) and Central Michigan (6-5). If you notice five of those teams are from the MAC. :D
12-05-2005 09:18 AM
SpartaRick Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: San Jose State

There is some discussion of the Silicon Valley bowl returning with Stanford's new stadium as its site. If so, that could very well end up being a Pac 10/WAC matchup. 03-confused
12-05-2005 01:01 PM
ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah State

"If" we can get UC Davis to expand their stadium to 30,000, then you have a bowl opportunity in Sacramento. That would be an ideal location, IMHO, other than Reno. I could see Sacramento supporting a bowl in the future.

With that said, I'm not sure that Reno would support a bowl, even though it is the ideal location for the average tourist. Fresno would support a bowl, IE bring back the Raisin Bowl, but Fresno is not the ideal location for the average tourist, even though I love the place.

Sacramento would be a similar scenario to Fresno. I'm not sure if Sacramento would draw the average tourist. However, UC Davis' football stadium would be quite new and attractive for the average football fan.
12-05-2005 01:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.