Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defense getting better
Bookmark and Share
ChipsNbeer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: CMU Chippewas
Defense getting better
I only played high school football and never coached. So if any of you experts out there have an opinion I would like to hear it.

The CMU defense is not good. Short of having a really good recruiting year and putting some new bodies out there next year, is there anything that can be done this year? Is there a change in strategy or more blitzing or something that could get the Chips some stops consistently?

I see a strong finish of the regular season and even possibly a win in the championship game but we will not be able to stop any 6 win team in the bowl game.

My only idea is to stop kicking short on kickoffs.
11-07-2007 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies
RE: Defense getting better
I couldn't agree more! Our defense is atrocious! Dead Defensive Coach Walking!
11-07-2007 08:15 PM
Spear4life03 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Central MI
Worst defense in the country. Going to be even worse w/o Red and friend next year.
11-07-2007 08:20 PM
ChipFB Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CMU
The defense this year has been a disappointment. With 10 retuning players who either started and/or received a good amount of playing time in 2006, I expected the team to be very stout. IMHO…I believe it’s a new system and scheme. The players are having to grasp the concepts and just maybe the coaches need to simplify the coverages and assignments. I mainly see the freshman players making these mistakes as you can see really bad mental errors, such as blown coverages. No one has been dominant on he D-line and Friend & Droscha play extremely hard, however their sack numbers have been really poor. Losing Keith next year will be a major hit to the defense…however I’m glad players like Bellore emerged this season.

Concepts like the “Leo” need to go next year as it’s proven to not work in the last 10 games. They work if you have players like Sean Merriman, however the last time I checked…we don’t have anyone that talented.

One thing is for certain…something needs to be changed and if it’s scheme or a particular coach…then that’s what will need to be done.
11-08-2007 01:59 PM
Rowdylikewhat Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
What is the Leo? I still haven't figured that stupid thing out.
11-08-2007 07:45 PM
Advertisement

ChipFB Offline
2nd String

Rowdylikewhat Wrote:What is the Leo? I still haven't figured that stupid thing out.
Neither has the coaching staff! 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2007 07:57 PM by ChipFB.)
11-08-2007 07:56 PM
HorseGlue Offline
2nd String

ChipFB Wrote:Concepts like the “Leo” need to go next year as it’s proven to not work in the last 10 games. They work if you have players like Sean Merriman, however the last time I checked…we don’t have anyone that talented.

I hate it so much, I made it my signature.

BTW, the Leo is the DE who weighs 218 lbs and lines up standing as opposed to lining up down like a traditional DE (who also happens to weigh 50 lbs more). Basically a LB sized guy playing as a DE, and a bad idea in general (unless you're the other team's Offense).
11-08-2007 08:09 PM
ChipsNbeer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: CMU Chippewas
I hate to say it but it looks like we are in for more of the same based on the early verbal committs.

1. DE 6'5" 215
2. DE 6'2" 220

I hate project players. And I really don't want to hear about that this is all that is left for MAC programs.

Nevermind the mind the OL 6'5" 245lb verbal. We aren't planning on getting pushed around, we're just doing it.03-banghead
11-09-2007 10:19 AM
Rowdylikewhat Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Are we ever going to sign defensive tackle or have we cooked up a scheme where you don't need them anymore? Are we going to run the Radar next year? Stand up 11 and take turns shootin'?
11-09-2007 10:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.