11-02-2007 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chipdip1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
RE: Culhane extended through 2011
What, did he agree to work at a reduced salary???? It has to be budget related. No way do you give a perennial loser this kind of job security.
11-02-2007 08:19 AM
thegeneral Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU, OU
unbelievable

My confidence in the WMU Athletic Department has decreased yet again.

Way to go KB!!!!
11-02-2007 08:29 AM
Flashboski Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
11-02-2007 08:53 AM
JerrySeymoursParoleOfficer Offline
1st String

No offense to Football or Basketball, but if WMU wanted to FINALLY compete on a national stage, hockey would be their only chance to do it.

As for the extension... Yeah he does a lot of great things academically for his players. but when your AD say something like this...

Quote:``He's certainly instilled discipline,'' Beauregard said. ``Part of what we have to take into consideration is the competitiveness of this league

I mean that is essentially waving the white flag. And the discipline statement makes no sense. We have been one of the most penalized teams in the CCHA and we usually are every year!

Every once and a while you just get slapped in the face and reminded that we are and always will be a mid-major.
11-02-2007 10:20 AM
BroncoBen Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos!
I can't wait to hear what DB (Desert Bronco) and BP (BroncoPhilly) have to say about this. Me, I can take it or leave it. The main reason we don't win is because we can't get our players to stay here. They would rather play minor league hockey, then play and go to school here. It's that simple. Example:Do you think Letestu would have help us over this past weekend in Niagara? Sure he would of. I guarantee you we would have won Friday night with Letestu's offense, and Bellissimo in goal. I think its time we start recruiting a better quality PERSON, who is just not going to leave the minute somebody offers them a minor league contract.
11-02-2007 11:35 AM
Advertisement

moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

Chipdip1 Wrote:What, did he agree to work at a reduced salary???? It has to be budget related. No way do you give a perennial loser this kind of job security.

Actually his salary was bumped up from pathetic to mediocre.
11-02-2007 01:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
I am suprised. I really didn't see something like this coming. Maybe it will be boost to recruiting. Lets hope that it works out for the best.
11-02-2007 01:07 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

BroncoBen Wrote:I can't wait to hear what DB (Desert Bronco) and BP (BroncoPhilly) have to say about this. Me, I can take it or leave it. The main reason we don't win is because we can't get our players to stay here. They would rather play minor league hockey, then play and go to school here. It's that simple. Example:Do you think Letestu would have help us over this past weekend in Niagara? Sure he would of. I guarantee you we would have won Friday night with Letestu's offense, and Bellissimo in goal. I think its time we start recruiting a better quality PERSON, who is just not going to leave the minute somebody offers them a minor league contract.

You don't follow hockey in least do you. Our best players are some of the least likely to leave early to play pro. The elite programs in the nation have 3 or 4 players leave early to go pro EACH season, we have 1 a year on average. Players leaving early is hardly our problem. A player at the level of Letestu is a rarity at WMU, and Bellissimo left because he lost his starting job to a better goalie and his confidence was shot.
11-02-2007 01:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Tough one, I like JC a lot, and pull for him to succeed more than anybody, but the results have been in for quite a while. Maybe this will help recruiting, and his record has blotches on it due a LOT to his having to learn to be a HC before he was ready, IMO.

This will be a telling year. I still like that he wanted to beat up the Red Baron. 03-lmfao
11-02-2007 02:09 PM
BroncoBen Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos!
Moe, I don't follow hockey in the least. That is funny. Apparently, nobody does on this forum. Hell, I do the gamethread for who, myself and a "few" others. Your lucky you have anybody on this forum. Western hockey is DEAD. What do you get, 100 hits on a gameday? Sometimes, that is for the week. I can tell I hit a "nerve" about Letestu with you. Maybe that is why I didn't report it two weeks ago, when he was sent down. Just don't tell me I don't follow hockey. I've followed this program since 1980. I was in the Joe in 1986 the night we BEAT State to win the CCHA. I will lighten up on Letestu just for you Moe. I would hate to get banned for just stating my opinion. Also, I believe Vince Bellisssimo left early, also, in my opinion, for nothing 3 years ago. This is starting to become a trend. Elite programs can take this stuff better then us. We just don't have the resources,depth, to take these kinds of losses. Moe, have a nice day-BroncoBen.
11-02-2007 02:11 PM
Advertisement

moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

Good job missing the point. 03-banghead

First, you didn't strike a nerve with me about Letestu, you struck a nerve for not having a clue what you're talking about. Second, if you've been following hockey since 1980 you obviously haven't been paying attention because quality players leaving early for the pros is the least of WMU's worries.
11-02-2007 02:29 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Ben, hockey players leave early to play professionally all the time. You would see the same with the basketball and football programs if there were competitively paying minor league basketball or football leagues in the United States. Of course Letestu left. He was as old as a college senior already.

Our main problem with being competitive is the apparent complete lack of concern from the athletic office as long as there aren't any NCAA violations.

Seriously, the academic stuff is great. But to compare this job with say, an office job, it's giving the guy who's always on time without any absences (academics) but does shoddy work (W's and L's) a raise.
11-02-2007 02:34 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:I can't wait to hear what DB (Desert Bronco) and BP (BroncoPhilly) have to say about this.

Rampant mediocrity rewarded again at WMU. Culhane is a nice guy personally, but what has he done to merit extending his coaching tenure one second past it's current expiration?!

I guess we can count on another 4 years of first round eliminations during the CCHA playoffs.

Why do I even get worked up about it? If Western's Athletic Department wanted to field winning teams, they would do what it takes to accomplish that. They obviously don't.

There are plenty more things to focus your attention on than WMU Hockey.
11-02-2007 04:31 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:Western hockey is DEAD.

Is now. Didn't used to be that way. In the 1980's Lawson was PACKED for most games and we made it to the Joe often and had great success. I remember beating BGSU in triple overtime one year. And beating UM in a lopsided win at the Joe with Dan Dorion and other players.

Continual piss-poor performances along with early eliminations from the playoffs has put a damper on Bronco Hockey. Maybe Kathy is satisfied with 1500 fan crowds? Used to be 3000 Kathy.

This one is unfathomable to me. All I can read into this-and most other observers as well-is that WMU's AD isn't concerned about fielding a winning hockey team. Very disappointing.
11-02-2007 04:36 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:Actually his salary was bumped up from pathetic to mediocre.

I don't consider $ 105,000/year to be mediocre. It's one hell of a lot more than most people 42 years old make. Based on his performance, Culhane ought to be shown the door. Instead, he's rewarded with a salary that's probably in the top 5% for his age group.

We could find other hockey coaches that would put out a better performing product for that salary. No question in my mind about that. 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2007 11:35 PM by BroncoPhilly.)
11-02-2007 04:39 PM
Advertisement

moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

BroncoPhilly Wrote:I don't consider $ 105,000/year to be mediocre. It's one hell of a lot more than most people 42 years old make. Based on his performance, Culhane ought to be shown the door. Instead, he's rewarded with a salary that's problem in the top 5% for his age group.

We could find other hockey coaches that would put out a better performing product for that salary. No question in my mind about that. 03-banghead

Compared to other (non- football and basketball) coaches at WMU and most people in general his age that is a very good salary. But if you consider it in light of the fact that WMU is a major conference hockey program it is actually on the low end of the spectrum. If WMU decided to hire a new coach they would need to double that salary to get who they want IMO.

As for whether JC should have that salaray, I have to say I like him as a person and where the program stands academically but the wins and losses speak for themselves.
11-02-2007 04:54 PM
WMU69 Offline
Banned

I like it, Culhane is a solid coach and recruits character kids. you heard it hear the Broncos will have atleast 25 wins or more this season.
11-02-2007 07:25 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
WMU69 Wrote:I like it, Culhane is a solid coach and recruits character kids. you heard it hear the Broncos will have atleast 25 wins or more this season.

If the Broncos win 25 games this season, I'll run a lap around the outside of Lawson naked. No chance in hell.
11-02-2007 10:44 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Quote:the Broncos will have atleast 25 wins or more this season.

And what incentive is going to push the staff to get us 25 wins? They were just rewarded for 9 years of less than average success. I see no hope things are going to change-at least not until 2011.

Kathy has some answering to do on this contract extension. In runs against the grain of just about anyone who knows anything about this program-or what it used to be.01-lauramac2
11-02-2007 11:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.