Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Looks like everyone will be BCS
Bookmark and Share
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

From the aticle.......

We believe the model the 11 conferences and Notre Dame are moving forward with is a strong step in the evolution of the BCS: First of all, it continues to create the BCS National Championship, and allows for better showcasing of that game each season and continues to provide exciting matchups between highly regarded teams in all the BCS bowls.

Secondly, it allows for increased access for all Division I-A institutions and continues to support the traditional bowl system, which has been a tremendous benefit to college football. It also continues the historical relationships of certain conferences and individual bowls, which existed long before the formation of the BCS and which those individual conferences and bowls value highly and wish to preserve. This model also is the least disruptive to other existing relationships between individual conferences and individual bowls.

Overall, this model provides the best opportunity for continuing and enhancing the many benefits of the BCS for the fans of the game and further provides student-athletes and coaches of all Division I-A football playing institutions with the opportunity to participate in one of these bowl games.

<a href='http://www.bcsfootball.org/news040610.shtml?session=x6CxeR2m5sA3XYwJNkgaooU542' target='_blank'>The complete story</a>
06-10-2004 03:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Utah State

Yes, the now all teams will have increased opportunity... :devil:

This is the best model... :devil:

The BCS has no flaws... :devil:

It will be fair... :devil:

Oh, and by the way, the current BCS schools will keep all the money and there will never be a TCU or Boise St in a national title game even if they go undefeated. There will be some dumb excuse like strength of schedule or some other baloney.

Trust me, the current system is going to pretend to help the little guy, but there is no way those schools will share the money, prestige, or championships. :devil:

Would you share your money with programs you consider beneath you? Boise St fans, would you want to share revenue with Idaho if you did not have to? Utah St fans, same question as above with Weber St? Just as BYU and Utah don't want to share with USU, the "elite" BCS schools don't want to share with their annoying, younger step-brothers.
06-10-2004 06:01 PM
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

This guy puts it more eloquently than I can.

Thursday, June 10, 2004
By Ray Ratto
Special to ESPN.com

The beauty of listening to David Frohnmayer and Kevin Weiberg explain the new BCS national championship proposal is it gives off the same warm glow that comes from watching people wearing graduation gowns rolling drunks.

There's the dignity of the office, and there's the money -- all in one handy package.

It's another bowl game, and that's all it is. It shows yet again that the system has one real role, and only one -- protecting itself.

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=ratto_ray&id=1819464' target='_blank'>Entire article</a>
06-10-2004 06:39 PM
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The only answer to your problem with schedule is to always put 2-3 heavies on your schedule and then beat them. Put a two game combo of USC, Michigan, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma and LSU on the OOC schedule and then BEAT THEM. Then you have a case.

If Boise played two traditional power programs, beat them and went undeafeated they could make one of the Major bowls. Then they beat that team and are say 12-0, then could the BCS keep them out. It would be very hard.

But if you don't load your OOC schedule with great teams and beat them, then you don't deserve and shouldn't expect to be considered for the top 4 bowls.
06-10-2004 06:55 PM
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

Obviously non-BCS teams need to beat tough OOC teams, but how can one guarantee the OOC teams will be strong enough to put the undefeated team over the top? For example: BYU has Notre Dame and USC on the schedule this year. ND has not been the premier program the past few years. What if USC goes winless? I know this won't happen, but what if the Y goes undefeated and has OOC wins like these? A million bucks says anyone in this situation doesn't get in to the BCS, much less the championship game.
06-10-2004 07:04 PM
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I'm going to add that a 16 team playoff, while a more fair situation still has SOS problems. Bethune Cookman had an 11-1 record last year and only got an 11th or 12th seed and was eliminated on the road by the number 5 or 6 seed. Why were they seeded so low, because they play in a weak Conference and they schedule cream puffs for OOC games. Plus only one team from their Conference ever goes to the playoff.

Same could happen in 1A even if they went to a 16 team playoff.
06-10-2004 07:04 PM
Advertisement

ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

This is just an idea, but if there was no strength of schedule and everybody had the "schedule cream puff" mentality, wouldn't the competition become more spread out? Imagine this: The big time schools know they have a rough conference schedule almost every year, so they schedule the smaller schools like the WAC and Sunbelt. The smaller schools want more exposure and revenue, so they gladly accept. Eventually, the small schools will beat the big schools, build some notoriety, get better recruits, make the conference better, etc. Dare I say it -- build a tradition? The great thing about a playoff is that a small school could prove to the BCS schools that "they have the stuff" to win in the big time. But then the big schools say, "well, one game isn't a good indicator of a program." To that I say that ALL football playoffs/bowls/championships are determined by one game. Anyway, obviously I'm not a fan of the blatant, exclusionary, we-are-the-elite-therefore-you-don't-deserve-a-chance attitude. I just want the WAC, MWC, MAC, Conf USA, Sunbelt and independents to have a chance to prove themselves. I'm not saying it will ever happen, just that this antitrust/monopolistic system needs to actually allow that chance and I don't think the current system allows for that.

Man!! I rambled on that one!

I realize this scenario will probably never happen, but I think a playoff system would be a step in the right direction. I really fail to see the problem with a 16 team playoff. All the conferences could be represented like the basketball tournament, then the "big leagues" could take up all the at-large berths. I doubt any of the non-BCS teams would reach the final game (how often does one reach the Final Four? Utah comes to mind, but other than that...) so why are they so afraid of the upset that probably will never happen? Is Boise going to beat USC, Nebraska, and Georgia three weeks in a row to win it all? I don't see any "real" argument for the BCS.
06-10-2004 07:16 PM
Aggieboy Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The light at the end of the tunnel says that at least the 11-conference format will at least look like something for a while and make us think we are one of the gang.

I will go out on a limb, predict that if this 9 team WAC stays together for 10 years. Teams like WYO and UTEP are going to want to come back in.

But we will still be fighting the NOSE Bowl boys tooth and toenail for a share of the 120million payout.

This NCAA stuff is a load, you don’t pay your athletes anything and you get pad like a pro-football team. MONEY and those that have it WIN. Sad Fact.
06-10-2004 07:26 PM
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The big argument with the 16 team playoff seems to be that it would extend the season for the top 4 teams to long. The NC participants would play 15 games and the semi finalist losers would play 14 games. A lot of educaters think this is too many games to play. Even in 1AA there is a push to eliminate the playoffs and go to bowls.

They could go to a ten game regular season. But then the weaker teams that don't make the playoffs would scream bloody murder. No 11 games would have to be minimum.

Plus there is what 40 something schools that go to bowls and get that chance to end the season on a winning note. As much as I like playoffs, there is not a more exciting way to settle the Champion, in a playoff only 16 teams go to the post season. And 15 of the 16 end their season with a loss.
06-10-2004 07:41 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization

bigskygriz Wrote:The big argument with the 16 team playoff seems to be that it would extend the season for the top 4 teams to long. The NC participants would play 15 games and the semi finalist losers would play 14 games. A lot of educaters think this is too many games to play. Even in 1AA there is a push to eliminate the playoffs and go to bowls.

They could go to a ten game regular season. But then the weaker teams that don't make the playoffs would scream bloody murder. No 11 games would have to be minimum.

Plus there is what 40 something schools that go to bowls and get that chance to end the season on a winning note. As much as I like playoffs, there is not a more exciting way to settle the Champion, in a playoff only 16 teams go to the post season. And 15 of the 16 end their season with a loss.
No one. No one misses more class that basketball players.

That argument is the silliest of all against a playoff.
06-10-2004 08:06 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

A very very important thing to note... it's a very good thing TCU did not make the BCS last year, from the non-BCS conference perspective.

Had TCU made it, they would have likely drawn USC. That would have been an absolute demolition. TCU would have been humiliated, and the BCS organizations would have a few hundred crates of fresh ammunition.

"We want into the BCS!"
"Why? Look how bad TCU was beaten. That's proof you all don't belong."
06-10-2004 08:58 PM
Advertisement

99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:A very very important thing to note... it's a very good thing TCU did not make the BCS last year, from the non-BCS conference perspective.

Had TCU made it, they would have likely drawn USC. That would have been an absolute demolition. TCU would have been humiliated, and the BCS organizations would have a few hundred crates of fresh ammunition.

"We want into the BCS!"
"Why? Look how bad TCU was beaten. That's proof you all don't belong."
04-bow 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow

I'm glad someone other than me said it.

TCU wasn't nearly as good as their record last year. Period, and all "non-BCS" teams should thank their lucky stars the Southern Miss handed them their @ss in Hattiesburg.

If TCU had gone to a BCS game last year, we'd NEVER get to sniff a seat at the dinner table. Hell, we would even be able to wait outside for scraps.
06-10-2004 10:17 PM
broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

99Tiger Wrote:
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:A very very important thing to note... it's a very good thing TCU did not make the BCS last year, from the non-BCS conference perspective.

Had TCU made it, they would have likely drawn USC.&nbsp; That would have been an absolute demolition.&nbsp; TCU would have been humiliated, and the BCS organizations would have a few hundred crates of fresh ammunition.&nbsp;

"We want into the BCS!"
"Why?&nbsp; Look how bad TCU was beaten.&nbsp; That's proof you all don't belong."
04-bow 04-bow 04-bow 04-bow

I'm glad someone other than me said it.

TCU wasn't nearly as good as their record last year. Period, and all "non-BCS" teams should thank their lucky stars the Southern Miss handed them their @ss in Hattiesburg.

If TCU had gone to a BCS game last year, we'd NEVER get to sniff a seat at the dinner table. Hell, we would even be able to wait outside for scraps.
I agree that TCU was over-rated. Boise State beat them with their second string receivers at their house. USC would have clobbered most of the BCS teams too. Look at the UCLA game!
06-11-2004 08:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
josephconlin Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

bigskygriz Wrote:I'm going to add that a 16 team playoff, while a more fair situation still has SOS problems. Bethune Cookman had an 11-1 record last year and only got an 11th or 12th seed and was eliminated on the road by the number 5 or 6 seed. Why were they seeded so low, because they play in a weak Conference and they schedule cream puffs for OOC games. Plus only one team from their Conference ever goes to the playoff.

Same could happen in 1A even if they went to a 16 team playoff.
At least Bethune Cookman had the chance to play for it all. They had the opportunity to prove how good they were (in this case, not as good as advertised, but that's beside the point). DI-A doesn't give even the opportunity.

As for only 16 teams in the playoffs being the only post season, who says you can't have a 16 team playoff and then the bowls if people want to put them together? After all, basketball has the NIT (some see it as a snub, some an opportunity, but it's there). If the bowls are really such a tradition, shouldn't they be able to continue on with non-playoff teams? I'm sure they'll complain about not having the best teams, which just shows that the tradition isn't about the bowl games, it's about matching up the best competition, and that is best done with a playoff.
06-11-2004 11:31 AM
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

They could incorporate the bowls into the playoffs. But here is the argument I've heard. That the winning teams that advance would have a hard time getting their fans to travel to 3 away bowl games.

Say they used the quarter finals, semis, and finals as Bowl Games. The games before these would be home games for the highest seeds.

They could have the finals as a rotation between the four big bowls. Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta. And each Bowl would get the final every four years.

The semis would also be a rotation of the top four Bowls. With two getting the nod each year.

The quarters would add the next top 3 bowls which would be what? The Cotton, Gator, and Outback? I'm not sure if those are the next top 3.

Here is an argument against mixing a playoffs with the Bowls, which I think would be exciting as hell. It would be College Footballs version of "March Madness", it could be called "December Insanity". If your team wins in the quarters, and semis, then your fans have to travel to three different cities around the country in three weeks. It's argued that attendance at the Bowls would be hurt by this.
06-12-2004 11:33 AM
josephconlin Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

bigskygriz Wrote:They could incorporate the bowls into the playoffs.
They could, but they don't have to. As you just pointed out, there are lots of ways to set up a playoff and include the bowls. I phrased it the way I did because it can also be done without the bowls, and I sometimes think it might have to be done that way in order to do it. :mad: Either way, you have the playoff.

The whole thing boils down to money. They are afraid fans won't travel 3 weeks in a row, and that reduces money. Well, if there is one thing they know a lot about, it is how to maximize monetary input. It seems obvious that, with the success the SuperBowl has and March Madness has, a combination of the two would bring in oodles of money (the company that gets to broadcast the games, especially the championship game, could charge similar, if somewhat less, to what currently gets charged for SuperBowl adverts. You could have a halftime extravaganza above the normal college game for extra interest and ad time. There are lots of possibilities, all of which lead to a HUGE TV contract). No, the real issue is that some schools would only get a few million more a year (current BCS) while the rest would be getting the same or similar to what the BCS get now. In other words, everyone else gets a huge increase in funds, but the BCS only gets a small increase. Then the playing field is level. Non-BCS schools might become more competitive. Then they might start winning. Then it might be a little like the NFL in that you don't know that last year's doormat won't be this year's champion.

No, better to keep getting a few mil less a year so they can keep the rest way below what the BCS get now. That way the BCS "prestige" is not dimmed by competition, only by its obvious moneymongering. 03-banghead

Quote:If your team wins in the quarters, and semis, then your fans have to travel to three different cities around the country in three weeks. It's argued that attendance at the Bowls would be hurt by this.

Attendance at the bowls is peanuts money wise compared to the TV advertising. The only people who care a LOT about this are the bowls themselves, which is why I think they might not be part of the solution.
06-14-2004 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Roughrider Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Short term, if we're to have a playoff, the bowls will have to be involved and it will likely require paybacks to them for lack of attendance. They won't lose. Long term I hope you're right and the bowls go away. A nice tradition, but nothing more. A playoff is the only way to get a real national champ while adding excitement to college football.
06-14-2004 11:57 AM
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Why hasn't the Mid Majors organized a Playoff? I understand the NCAA has no control over the post season in 1A? People in 1AA have discussed this before and we thought there should be a 1A Mid Major Campionship playoff with the MWC, CUSA, MAC, WAC, Sun Belt and Independents participating. Am I missing anyone?

A 16 team field. 1 auto bid from each Conference and 11 at-large bids. Of course the stonger Conferences would get more bids. How many schools go to the post season now from those Conferences? About the same number?

Why don't you guys break away from the servitude and create your own exciting brand of post season. Bet the Networks would be interested. Look how Arena Football is catching on.

2006 Mid Major National Champion. I like it. Better than no National Champion.
06-14-2004 04:05 PM
josephconlin Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

bigskygriz Wrote:Why hasn't the Mid Majors organized a Playoff? I understand the NCAA has no control over the post season in 1A? People in 1AA have discussed this before and we thought there should be a 1A Mid Major Campionship playoff with the MWC, CUSA, MAC, WAC, Sun Belt and Independents participating. Am I missing anyone?

A 16 team field. 1 auto bid from each Conference and 11 at-large bids. Of course the stonger Conferences would get more bids. How many schools go to the post season now from those Conferences? About the same number?

Why don't you guys break away from the servitude and create your own exciting brand of post season. Bet the Networks would be interested. Look how Arena Football is catching on.

2006 Mid Major National Champion. I like it. Better than no National Champion.
I like it! Don't call it Mid Major, though. Call it the College Football National Championship or something like that. Mid Major implies inferiority, which is certainly not the case. It would be more valid than the winner of the two teams the BCS voted to be possible champs, and if BCS schools get upset about what we call it, they can come play us for it. :)
06-14-2004 05:31 PM
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Of course it would be considered along the lines of the NIT in Basketball. But what the hey! What do you guys have now? And I can invision it being very exciting and popular with the right coverage and promotion. It would most certainly get the BCS thinking seriously about doing it themselves and might ultimately lead to a legitimate playoff that includes all the 1A teams. 04-cheers
06-14-2004 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.