Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

San Jose coach steps down
Bookmark and Share
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Utah State

First the AD, then a couple of other resignations, now the football coach. Hopefully, this means San Jose will get things turned around and NOT mean that they are all bailing out before the university axes the football program. :eek:
11-23-2004 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

ultramagnus Wrote:First the AD, then a couple of other resignations, now the football coach. Hopefully, this means San Jose will get things turned around and NOT mean that they are all bailing out before the university axes the football program. :eek:
Makes you think... they pull off the upset in OT versus Boise State on national TV, he's probably signing a contract extension. One week later, the Spartans lose to Tulsa on the road and Dr. Hill resigns.
11-23-2004 10:51 AM
SportsDawg Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

You are right!
I would hate to be a coach.
Sooner or Later...most coaches do get fired!!!!!!!
11-23-2004 06:51 PM
Advertisement

bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

It would probably benefit a losing program like San Jose State to go 1AA for a few years and start building a winning tradition again. No matter what anyone says about affiliation, it's WINS that put butts in the seats. Fans want to see a winning team. What a shame it would be if they just dropped football.

The new Great West Football Conference would be a good place for them. I thinks Sac. State may be leaning that way. And the Big Sky might be taking North Dakota State and South Dakota State from them, so they'll need a couple new schools. It could look like this.

Cal Poly
Sac. State
SJSU
UC Davis
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
11-26-2004 09:34 AM
bigskygriz Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Eagles, Wildcats benefit from NCAA boost

Donald Heath
donald.heath@savannahnow.com

STATESBORO - Only nine months ago, cornerback Roger King was being recruited heavily by Georgia Southern and Central Michigan.

One school had a Division I-AA label, the other I-A.

King didn't see much difference.

Actually, there was a big difference.

By choosing I-AA Georgia Southern, King played his home games in front of almost 2,000 more fans a game than CMU. During the regular season, the Eagles had six games on television. Central Michigan five.

Saturday, King and his teammates will have a national television audience on ESPN2 when they meet New Hampshire, starting a quest Southern hopes will end with a seventh national championship.

Back in Mount Pleasant, Mich., Central Michigan football players can watch. Their season is over.

"Just because we're a AA, doesn't mean we're not as good as an A team," King said.

And he isn't just reflecting on talent levels either. King likes the postseason hoopla of the Division I-AA game.

It's an opinion many share. More importantly, the NCAA - the governing body of collegiate sports - is taking active measures to enhance that opinion, particularly with steps taken in August.

In short, the NCAA will require I-A schools to fund at least 76 football scholarships, play a minimum of five home games against other I-A competition and demonstrate an average football attendance of at least 15,000.

To make sure schools don't put all their resources into football, the NCAA also requires a I-A school to fund 200 scholarships for the entire athletic program and sponsor at least 16 sports.

And to build up I-AA, officials have several ideas. National television opportunities headline the list. GSU and New Hampshire will be put in the spotlight Saturday.

The I-AA semifinals and finals will also be carried by ESPN or ESPN2.

"There is a lot of momentum for enhancement (of the I-AA game), and for ESPN to pick Georgia Southern is a great compliment for the school, their fans and their program," Southern Conference commissioner Danny Morrison said.

Proponents of I-AA are excited as well. They say the new NCAA guidelines for I-A and additional television exposure will at least slow the dilution of their division.

In the past, finances and perception fueled an exodus from I-AA like a mandatory Florida hurricane evacuation. In the last dozen years, Georgia Southern has seen rivals like Middle Tennessee State, Central Florida, Northeast Louisiana, Marshall, Troy State and South Florida bolt.

Why? If a small school gained I-A status (playing football with 85 scholarships instead of the I-AA limit 63), it had more opportunities to play against big-time programs for hefty paydays. Central Michigan played Indiana and Michigan State this season.

And any highlights of such a game, good or bad, would at least create publicity.

But is that good for collegiate football?

"There are some (schools) at I-A that truly don't belong," GSU athletics director Sam Baker said. "To me, a I-A team should draw 30-35,000 (fans). Any time, you're reading newspaper articles about schools struggling to meet the 15,000 requirement, I think that's negative."

The Eagles saw a program like that two weeks ago. Despite Homecoming and a unique giveaway of Coach Don Strock bobblehead dolls, Florida International drew an announced crowd of 5,000. Next year, the Golden Panthers are expecting to play I-A football in the Sun Belt Conference.

Good luck.

The question seems to be: Why not play in Division I-AA? Potential future NCAA legislation will make that a bigger question.

Morrison said NCAA committees have been looking into counting I-AA wins toward a Division I-A team's bowl requirements every year instead of the current allowance of one every four years.

He said there's talk about even changing the nomenclature to end some of the confusion. If a school plays I-AA football, some think it also plays I-AA basketball.

Of course, that's not true. There's no such thing as I-AA or -A basketball. Only football has the I-AA, I-A subdivisions. All other sports are classified as simply Division I.

"No doubt, (the misconception) hurts our recruiting (in non-football sports)," Morrison said.

National television exposure, however, can only help I-AA football recruiting. And its playoff system, which has been in place since 1978, undoubtedly will be one of I-AA's selling points.

"Saturday night is an awfully good showcase for I-AA football," New Hampshire coach Sean McDonnell said. "(ESPN2) is great for our level."
11-26-2004 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.