Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WMU funding inequity.
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
WMU funding inequity.
Don't know if I mentioned it, but I got a response back from my letter to my State Senator (and personal friend) John Pappageorge. He indicated to me he opposes two-tier funding for state universities and the univeristy leadership are well aware of his position.

I'll try and get more details on his voting record for the bill in question next time I talk with him. We need to all be proactive and do what we can for WMU when talking to our Legislators and Senators.
09-15-2007 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

notauser Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: WMU funding inequity.
I thought the Senate killed that bill.
09-15-2007 09:00 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Even if it's killed, it doesn't mean the end to the initiative or some other type of similar plan.

Thanks for the update BP! You powerbroker alumnus you!!
09-16-2007 10:26 PM
Advertisement

notauser Offline
1st String

WMU Funding Update - 2008
9/14/2007

On September 6, the Michigan Senate passed their version of the 2007-08 higher education funding bill, sensibly funding ALL 15 public universities in ONE consolidated budget bill. Just a couple of weeks ago the Michigan House of Representatives, on the recommendation of the Governor but on a very close vote, passed two higher education budget bills, one for MSU, U of M, and Wayne State University, and a separate budget bill for the other state universities, including WMU. We have been very opposed to the Governor's recommendation and the action by the Michigan House of Representatives and have been working with the legislature to defeat this proposal.

Highlighting his deep dedication and appreciation for the diversity of higher education institutions throughout Michigan, the single budget bill received firm support from the Chairman of the Senate Sub-committee on Higher Education, Senator Tony Stamas (R-MIdland). (Please take a moment to send Senator Stamas a quick e-mail to thank him for his support). The legislation will now move to a conference committee, where final allocations for universities and programs will be decided, the final step in writing the higher education budget for next year.

We firmly believe that our Bronco alumni's outspoken opposition to the two funding bills played a key role in its defeat in the State Senate. However, this issue is still very much alive in the state legislature. We need our alumni to continue their vocal opposition to this scheme and ask their legislators to impress upon their leadership that two separate budget bills for higher education is a bad idea, it is unwise and unfair. Senator Majority Leader Mike Bishop has expressed his support for one appropriation bill. But it is particularly important that House Speaker Andy Dillon (D-Redford Twp.) hear from WMU alumni. Please take a moment to call Representative Dillon's office at (517) 373-0857. Feel free to call after office hours and leave a message on his office voicemail. We would love to have him see a host of Bronco messages when he arrives each morning reminding him that our alumni are from every county in Michigan and this is a bad idea.

As the legislature must get the state budget in place by October 1, it is absolutely crucial that you contact your legislator now . Thanks again to all our loyal Bronco alumni that have been writing letters, sending e-mails, and calling their legislator on behalf of WMU. Go Broncos!

Source: http://www.ciclt.net/wmu/
09-17-2007 08:52 PM
notauser Offline
1st String

Good Day!

Three weeks ago, I asked you to contact your legislators and voice your opposition to legislation that would place WMU in a second funding tier of Michigan public universities by creating one funding bill exclusively for U of M, MSU and Wayne State and another separate funding bill for the other 12 universities. On behalf of WMU President John Dunn and the WMU Alumni Association, I wish to thank those of you who called or sent an email to your representatives.

In addition to your efforts, the WMU legislative staff worked with the other 11 state universities to offer an amendment that would restore all higher education funding to one funding bill. In spite of all these efforts and bipartisan support, that amendment failed in the Michigan House of Representatives by just a handful of votes. The Senate, however, did pass a single budget bill for higher education, so the issue is now before a conference committee for resolution.

The state’s new budget, including funding for higher education, must be resolved by October 1. The process will be fast and furious over the course of the next week. Senator Mike Bishop (office phone: 517 373-2417) and Speaker of the House Andy Dillon (office phone: 517 373-0857) will have tremendous influence on the two tiered funding for higher education. They need to hear from you as WMU alumni and concerned Michigan citizens. Call their offices and voice your opposition to the separate funding bill for U of M, MSU and Wayne State. If you cannot call during the day, call after business hours and leave a message. A few minutes of your time will make a huge difference for WMU.

WMU President Dunn has been involved in this fight for equitable funding since he arrived on campus July 1. He shared his thoughts about WMU being referred to as a “small school” in an opinion piece that was featured in the August 28 Detroit Free Press. If you did not read his viewpoint, I encourage you to do so by clicking here.

As Dr. Dunn pointed out, Western Michigan University is not small and it is certainly not insignificant. We enroll over 24,000 students and we have over 165,000 alumni, 68% of whom live in Michigan.

For additional key talking points and for contact information for all legislators, visit the Bronco Legislative Network (BLN) website.

As the need arises, I will be back in touch with you over the course of the next few weeks.

Sincerely,
Kirk Hoffman, BBA ‘86
President, WMU Alumni Association

Source:
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2007 08:57 PM by notauser.)
09-17-2007 08:55 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Hey, the two Greek dudes in the State Senate-Pappageorge and Stamas-voted to kill the inequity. I delivered on my hom-boys! You may bow and kiss my big toe. Yessir!!

02-13-banana
09-18-2007 09:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.