Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Utah St fans
Bookmark and Share
SJSpartans&Sharks Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I plan to come to Logan to see the Spartans. I have never been to Logan or Utah for that matter. Any tips? Looks like I fly into Salt Lake City and then rent a car for the drive to Logan. How long is the drive? Do most teams stay in Logan or do they stay in Salt Lake City?
07-14-2005 01:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Broncoguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Bronco view of USU trip.
It might be faster, due to horrible traffic around SLC and
Ogden, to fly into Pocatello, rent a car and drive to Logan,
nice senic drive down the interstate.
BYOB, Logan is LDS and they roll up the sidewalks at dusk.
Logan is a very senic area, large mountains backdrop the
town and it is very laid back.
You will enjoy the stadium, very nice, and the people are
great and friendly, have a great time.
07-14-2005 08:48 AM
broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

Broncoguy Wrote:Bronco view of USU trip.
Ogden, to fly into Pocatello, rent a car and drive to Logan,
nice senic drive down the interstate.
BYOB, Logan is LDS and they roll up the sidewalks at dusk.
Logan is a very senic area, large mountains backdrop the
town and it is very laid back.
You will enjoy the stadium, very nice, and the people are
great and friendly, have a great time.
Plus, you will get to sample the unique aroma of the surrounding dairy farms.
Tip: Visit their scout.com forum and get to know ViAggie and TrueAggie. They may even invite you to their tailgate party. Bring your own mountain dew!!!!

P.S. ViAggie likes Guiness
07-14-2005 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Utah State

As far as traffic goes, it mostly depends on what time you fly into SLC. If you plan on driving North on I-15 to Logan between about 4 to 6pm on a weekday, good luck. Other than that, you can make the drive in about an hour and a half. (It shouldn't be that bad if you are used to driving in California).

If you are worried about the alcohol % deal, Franklin, Idaho is only a 20 min drive from Logan.
07-14-2005 10:00 AM
BoiseStateRules Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State

I drive all over the west routinely and the Salt Lake City traffic is nothing much to worry about. Even at rush hour it's not all that bad. If I were you I'd fly into SLC rent a car and drive North up to Logan.

As to where to stay, it doesn't really matter. I would suspect the prices will be about the same. If you are looking for some night life tho, you are MUCH better off staying in SLC and then driving up to Logan on game day morning. 04-cheers
07-14-2005 10:15 AM
Advertisement

ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

BoiseStateRules Wrote:If you are looking for some night life tho, you are MUCH better off staying in SLC and then driving up to Logan on game day morning. 04-cheers
That's true enough.
07-14-2005 10:22 AM
ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

SJSpartans&Sharks Wrote:I plan to come to Logan to see the Spartans. I have never been to Logan or Utah for that matter. Any tips? Looks like I fly into Salt Lake City and then rent a car for the drive to Logan. How long is the drive? Do most teams stay in Logan or do they stay in Salt Lake City?
BoiseStRules has given you good advice. I drive up from SLC on a routine basis since I'm from "Cache Valley" and live in BYU country where my wife is from. I'm a season ticket holder for basketball and football. I make Thursday games for basketball having to drive from SLC when I get off work at 5PM and make it to Logan by 7PM game time. Until now, I'm yet to arrive at a game late. Point is, you shouldn't have a problem with traffic. You should enjoy the drive along side the Wasatch Mountains to the east and the Great Salt Lake to the west.

If you do visit Logan, there are a few places you should visit. Definitely take a tour of the campus. You should also take a drive up a canyon or two. Since you drive through "Sardine" Canyon between Brigham City and Logan, you should see the leaves turning color in October. Also when in Logan, you'll want to visit "The White Owl" for "mountain dew" and you'd probably enjoy Cafe Ibis for coffee.

Logan has good restaurants:
Italian: "Le Nonne" in Logan(best italian restaurant in the west) Have your glass of wine with some fantastic Italian food.
American: "Maddux" in Perry (just south of Brigham City) Best fried chicken, steaks, trout, catfish in the state of Utah.
Mexican: You may want to eat Mexican in California, since Utah's mexican restaurants are to die for.
And of course wherever you go, you'll find the chain restaurants.
SLC has a fantastic Chinese restaurant. I can tell you where you can eat some good Vietnemese food in SLC also. If you're interested in eating in SLC, let me know.

If you have more time in Cache Valley you may want to take a scenic drive over to Bear Lake through Logan Canyon. HWY 89 would take you that direction. Btw, HWY 89 is consider one of the top scenic drives between Logan and Bear Lake in the country. It is about a 1/2 hour drive from Logan to Bear Lake.

If you like golf, Smithfield and Logan have great golf courses. Also, as BroncoBob said, ViAggie, AggieSports, AggiesForever, myself and others can show you around also. Come over to ustateags.com and we'll give you more info. Also, you may want to visit the Spectrum while you're at it and see what one of the premier home courts looks like 03-wink .
07-14-2005 10:39 AM
OklaAggie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Broncoguy Wrote:Bronco view of USU trip.
Ogden, to fly into Pocatello, rent a car and drive to Logan...
I don't think you can fly nonstop from the Bay Area to Pocatello anyway, so any time you'd save avoiding SLC traffic (which by Bay standards isn't that bad) you'd lose making the connection (probably through Salt Lake anyway).

And as for the scenic value of the drive: Salt Lake to Ogden isn't memorable, but north of Ogden you get the best views of the Great Salt Lake, and the drive through Sardine Canyon (between Brigham City and Logan) is beautiful in early October. I've never made the Poky to Logan drive, so I can't compare.
07-14-2005 11:57 AM
USU78 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

For the adventurous, try the route through Jackpot, Nevada:

<a href='http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ahXX=&1y=US&1a=&1c=reno&1s=nv&1z=&2ahXX=&2y=US&2a=&2c=jackpot&2s=NV&2z=' target='_blank'>Reno to Jackpot per Mapquest</a>

And from Jackpot, Nevada, to Logan, Utah:

<a href='http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ahXX=&1y=US&1a=&1c=Jackpot&1s=nv&1z=&2ahXX=&2y=US&2a=&2c=Logan&2s=UT&2z=' target='_blank'>Whew!</a>
07-14-2005 12:27 PM
Advertisement

WildBlue Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Jackpot! Bah!

Take 30 from Oasis to Snowville. Saves you a trip up to Twin.
07-14-2005 12:54 PM
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

OklaAggie Wrote:I've never made the Poky to Logan drive, so I can't compare.

I've made the Logan/Pocatello drive many a times, via Tremonton and Preston. I guess its not that bad, but it isn't that impressive either. The jagged cliffs by Willard make the trip from Ogden a more "scenic" trip, IMHO. (Just don't live in Cache Valley and have to drive to Ogden or Salt Lake for work everyday. That makes the drive get old very fast.)
07-14-2005 02:00 PM
broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

How far to the nearest Hooters from Logan?
07-14-2005 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

Well, I messed this post up. See below.
07-14-2005 02:25 PM
Advertisement

ultramagnus Offline
2nd String

broncobob Wrote:How far to the nearest Hooters from Logan?
Ogden, I think. I'd love to see someone try and open one up in Logan, though! :laugh:

When Chili's opened there, the sign had to say only Chili's grill. The community didn't allow it to be Chili's BAR and grill. I can only imagine the uproar a Hooter's would cause! :eek:
07-14-2005 02:26 PM
broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

ultramagnus Wrote:
broncobob Wrote:How far to the nearest Hooters from Logan?
Ogden, I think. I'd love to see someone try and open one up in Logan, though! :laugh:

When Chili's opened there, the sign had to say only Chili's grill. The community didn't allow it to be Chili's BAR and grill. I can only imagine the uproar a Hooter's would cause! :eek:
Hooters has a bad reputation for some reason....
It is a family restaurant and has no hard liquor.

Took my daughter and granddaugher there a couple of days ago and there were many families there. Lots of kids. Great Wings too!!!!!!

Hooters requirement is to have a population of 100,000 within 10 miles of the restaurant, so I don't see one coming to Logan for a long, long time.

But when the Aggies come to Boise, we can meet up for some Mountain Dews at Hooters.
07-14-2005 03:31 PM
USUAgs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I plan to come to Logan to see the Spartans. I have never been to Logan or Utah for that matter. Any tips? Looks like I fly into Salt Lake City and then rent a car for the drive to Logan. How long is the drive? Do most teams stay in Logan or do they stay in Salt Lake City?[QUOTE]

Fly into Salt Lake City and drive up, that will not be a big problem even in rush hour.

Most teams charter and stay in Ogden. Places to stay, the Hampton Inn is about 2 miles from the stadium, there's a crystal inn and another one to consider is the University Inn, it's within walking distance of the stadium. The Baugh motel is downtown. there's not a lot in the way of 4 star accomodations.

Places to eat. Try Hamiltons(Steak/Seafood), The Italian Place(Sandwitches), Calloways(Italian) and Eddie's drive inn(BBQ). There are others but I can think of them now.

If you want a drink, try the White Owl(Beer Bar, good food), if you need a mixed drink try Mulligans. It's a private club, some stupid Utah law for bars that offer mixed drinks you will have to join to get a drink, it's more an annoyance than anything else. Ruby Tuesday has a bar in the front and you can get a beer there but you have to order some food with it.

For tailgates you can try the Godfather/USUAgs tailgate located on the west side of the west parking lot. We usually have something going like ribs/burgers/wings and a few adult beverages.
07-14-2005 10:53 PM
Ktulu7 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I sure wish I could drive to our away games with you WAC folks... I'll be there in spirit!
07-15-2005 10:09 AM
Advertisement

ejmpalle Offline
Special Teams

USUAgs Wrote:Places to eat. Try Hamiltons(Steak/Seafood), The Italian Place(Sandwitches), Calloways(Italian) and Eddie's drive inn(BBQ). There are others but I can think of them now.
Calloway's is closed. Small tidbit, but I thought I'd point it out.
07-15-2005 02:28 PM
aggiesports Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

We'll WELCOME YOU! And you will enjoy your stay. First, whoever said the drive from Pocatello to Logan was scenic must be on SOME KIND OF halucigeon!! It's a horrible dead drive unless you like lava rock and sage brush! I would know, I make the drive often for business! Fly into SLC. You can rent a car, or buy a ticket for a shuttle. If you come out for football anytime, you will get a treat driving through Sardine Canyon when the leaves are turning. It's what post card dreams are made of. SLC to Logan I would is 1:45, maybe 2 hours if your drive slow. If you like to party, make reservations for your overnight stay back in SLC. Logan has nothing when it comes to night life. SLC has many bars, clubs, etc. A place of recomendation would be a 30 min drive from SLC up to Park City. Night life up there is the best in Utah as far as restaruants and bars. Just my opinion. If you enjoy the outdoors. Stay in Logan. As suggested, tour the campus. It's beautiful. Drive up the canyon. Make it over to Bear Lake, and beautiful lake a maybe 45 minute drive from Logan. If you do stay in Logan, and want that drink after the game.....go to The White Owl. Get the Philly Steak and Cheese Sandwich. It's a winner. It's always (and the only) hopping place after a game. If you have any questions as things get closer to your trip, email me at aggiesports@hotmail.com. I will make sure you are taken care of.
07-19-2005 12:47 PM
SJSpartans&Sharks Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Hey thanks a lot. Please ignore some of the BS that is on the jerk's Anthony's garbage message board. He brought up a dumb old story about BYU and the LDS church. Typical MO for that moron.

He doesn't speak for real Spartan fans.
07-20-2005 04:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.