Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How the WAC will Rise Again
Bookmark and Share
broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

<a href='http://boisestate.scout.com/2/420257.html' target='_blank'>http://boisestate.scout.com/2/420257.html</a>

Worth the visit....a little WAC history lesson too.
08-09-2005 08:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BanditoAggie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Even more history. The WAC was born from the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in 1962. Read on:

Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association

The Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association (sometimes referred to as the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Conference), an NCAA-affiliated college athletic conference founded in 1931, was disbanded following the 1961-1962 season. Centered in the southwestern United States, the conference formerly included nine member institutions located in the states of Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

Charter members playing American football (and years of membership) included Arizona (1931-1961), Arizona State Teachers’-Flagstaff (now Northern Arizona, 1931-1952), Arizona State Teacher’-Tempe (now Arizona State, 1931-1952), New Mexico (1931-1951) and New Mexico A&M (now New Mexico State, 1931-1961).

Other members competing in football (and years of membership) included Texas Tech (1932-1956), Texas Mines (now Texas-El Paso, 1935-1961), Hardin-Simmons (1941-19xx), and West Texas Teachers’ (now West Texas A&M, 1941-19xx).

Current conference affiliations of former members
The nine former football-playing members of the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association are currently affiliated with the following eight conferences (all NCAA Division I-A unless indicated):

American Southwest Conference (Division III) - Hardin-Simmons University
Big Sky Conference (Division I-AA) - Northern Arizona University
Big Twelve Conference - Texas Tech University
Lone Star Conference (Division II) - West Texas A&M University
Mountain West Conference - University of New Mexico
Pacific Ten Conference - Arizona State University and University of Arizona
** Western Athletic Conference - New Mexico State University (previously Sun Belt Conference)
** Conference USA - University of Texas at El Paso [=UTEP] (previously Western Athletic Conference)

** - I updated this info - Bandito
08-09-2005 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
erdaaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USU

broncobob Wrote:<a href='http://boisestate.scout.com/2/420257.html' target='_blank'>http://boisestate.scout.com/2/420257.html</a>

There are actually some errors in that article. First NMSU is coming off of a 5-6 season, not 6-5. Second a 12 team MWC would not put it in line for the BCS. In fact only half of the BCS leagues have that (Big XII, ACC, SEC.) The rest have 11, 10, and 8 football schools. Then C-USA and the MAC are non-BCS and will have championship games. 12 teams means absolutely nothing to the BCS. The third error that I noticed is said that CSU was in 1968, they were actually added in 1967 along with UTEP. It says that in this <a href='http://www.wac.org/view_section.asp?section=About%20the%20WAC' target='_blank'>link.</a>

[QUOTE]Since that year, several changes have occurred. UTEP and Colorado State became members in September 1967, while Arizona and Arizona State withdrew on June 30, 1978. The WAC then added San Diego State (1978), Hawai‘i (1979) and Air Force (1980). Before 1990, the WAC sponsored championships only in men’s sports. However, a merger with the High Country Athletic Conference formed a single conference under one administrative structure, and the 1990-91 athletic year was the first in which both men and women competed under the WAC name. Fresno State was added in 1992, and then in 1996, the women’s programs from Air Force and Hawai‘i along with six new schools (UNLV, Rice, San Jose State, SMU, TCU and Tulsa) came into the WAC. Air Force, Brigham Young, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, Utah and Wyoming withdrew on June 30, 1999. Nevada (2000), Boise State (2001) and Louisiana Tech (2001) were added while TCU withdrew following the 2000-01 season. The current membership was established on July 1, 2005, when Idaho, New Mexico State and Utah State joined the WAC after Rice, SMU, UTEP and Tulsa withdrew.[QUOTE]

You see USU has had a watchful eye on the WAC for many years. (NMSU has as well.)

Document no. 18 of 100
[Go To Best Hit]
Sunday, November 2, 2003
Deseret News
[Edit Document]

Edition: UtahValley
Page: D02

Did conspiracy delay Ags' invitation?

By Brad Rock
Deseret Morning News

The recent announcement that Utah State will soon be joining the Western Athletic Conference was as good as it gets for Ladell Andersen.
"It was my glorious day when that happened," he said.
Like the children of Israel, all it took was 40 years of wandering in the wilderness.
Forty years! When USU first applied for admission, the Cuban missile crisis was just around the corner and the Beatles were shocking parents everywhere. The old Skyline Conference was breaking up and a new, optimistic league called the WAC was on the way. Unfortunately, some schools got left out.
Utah State, for one.
Ever since then, theories have abounded as to why USU could never get in. Did it make some sort of social faux-pas?
Was it personal hygiene?
Whatever the reason, USU was frozen out for decades. Years passed, leagues came and went, but nothing happened. Finally, the "glorious day" arrived that former Aggie basketball coach and athletic director Andersen awaited. UTAH STATE, COME ON DOWN! It was a judicious move by the WAC. Similar sizes, resources and regional rivalries made the arrangement logical. The only drawback: Not a single member of the original WAC remains in that league.
None of the old gang was even there to welcome the Aggies into the club.
Ask any longtime Aggie fan about "the conspiracy."
He'll tell you flat-out they were blackballed by their brothers down the road. Petty jealousy, he'll conclude, kept USU from playing in the same conference as Utah and BYU, not economics.
"We tried and tried to get in, and they would never let us in because of BYU's and Utah's jealousy of any success we had up there," said Andersen.
Four decades seems a long time to hold a grudge.
Still, nobody has entirely forgiven Lee Harvey Oswald either.
It actually started in 1962, 41 years ago. A handful of mid-sized Western colleges banded to form what would become a truly colorful conference. Utah, BYU, New Mexico, Arizona, Arizona State and Wyoming signed on.
USU didn't — mainly because it wasn't offered that option.
The Aggies could have lived with that if other things hadn't ensued. For instance, in 1967 the WAC expanded by two teams, adding UTEP and Colorado State. No invitation was forthcoming to USU. After Arizona and ASU left for the Pac-10, the league invited San Diego State, Hawaii and Air Force.
Time after time USU petitioned for WAC admission, to no avail.
Andersen, who was athletic director for 10 years in Logan, remembers compiling booklets explaining how the school drew more fans and had more success than teams such as Wyoming, CSU and UTEP. But the answer was always the same. League presidents said they didn't want to be dominated by three schools from the same state. (Even though there are four schools from North Carolina in the ACC.) Even in the 1990s, when the WAC ballooned to 16 teams, there was no call for USU. Television had changed the landscape of college football and the WAC went searching for new TV markets. That eliminated Logan, which was already in the same market as Utah and BYU.
Now retired and living in St. George, Andersen has nothing to hold back. He was there. He was also an assistant coach at Utah and head coach at BYU, yet remains convinced a conspiracy existed. In the 1960s, USU was having success in both football and basketball against its instate rivals.
"I think (Utah and BYU) were hypocritical, in that they said, 'We voted for you but no one else did.' That's the phoniest deal in the world,"
Andersen said.
His contention is they did vote to include USU, but convinced other schools to vote no.
"I've always said BYU and Utah had enough power and strength through all those years and expansions to get USU in," Andersen continued.
"Sometimes they claimed they didn't have the power, but I know better. They were the power."
Arnie Ferrin, who was Utah's athletic director for 10 years in the 1970s and 80s disagrees, saying the inclusion of USU would have greatly helped keeping costs down.
"I can't speak for BYU, but in my case it would have been wonderful for us to have USU in the conference," he said. He added, "I don't believe there was ever an effort to exclude them."
That's their stories and they're sticking with them.
Was there really a conspiracy?
All I know is the Aggies didn't get into the club until Utah and BYU got out.

Interesting article though.

Basically the original WAC was a merger of Borderland and Skyline Conference schools, without NMSU and USU. Montana and MSU went 1-AA as did Northern Arizona.
08-09-2005 10:47 AM
Ktulu7 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I just like his comment about LaTech's superior athletic talent when he discussed us playing Florida, Kansas, and North Texas. :D
08-09-2005 02:08 PM
broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

erdaaggie Wrote:[quote="broncobob"] <a href='http://boisestate.scout.com/2/420257.html' target='_blank'>http://boisestate.scout.com/2/420257.html</a>

There are actually some errors in that article. First NMSU is coming off of a 5-6 season, not 6-5. Second a 12 team MWC would not put it in line for the BCS. In fact only half of the BCS leagues have that (Big XII, ACC, SEC.) The rest have 11, 10, and 8 football schools. Then C-USA and the MAC are non-BCS and will have championship games. 12 teams means absolutely nothing to the BCS. The third error that I noticed is said that CSU was in 1968, they were actually added in 1967 along with UTEP. It says that in this <a href='http://www.wac.org/view_section.asp?section=About%20the%20WAC' target='_blank'>link.</a>

Quote:Since that year, several changes have occurred. UTEP and Colorado State became members in September 1967, while Arizona and Arizona State withdrew on June 30, 1978. The WAC then added San Diego State (1978), Hawai‘i (1979) and Air Force (1980). Before 1990, the WAC sponsored championships only in men’s sports. However, a merger with the High Country Athletic Conference formed a single conference under one administrative structure, and the 1990-91 athletic year was the first in which both men and women competed under the WAC name. Fresno State was added in 1992, and then in 1996, the women’s programs from Air Force and Hawai‘i along with six new schools (UNLV, Rice, San Jose State, SMU, TCU and Tulsa) came into the WAC. Air Force, Brigham Young, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, Utah and Wyoming withdrew on June 30, 1999. Nevada (2000), Boise State (2001) and Louisiana Tech (2001) were added while TCU withdrew following the 2000-01 season. The current membership was established on July 1, 2005, when Idaho, New Mexico State and Utah State joined the WAC after Rice, SMU, UTEP and Tulsa withdrew.[QUOTE]

You see USU has had a watchful eye on the WAC for many years. (NMSU has as well.)

Document no. 18 of 100
[Go To Best Hit]
Sunday, November 2, 2003
Deseret News
[Edit Document]

Edition: UtahValley
Page: D02

Did conspiracy delay Ags' invitation?

By Brad Rock
Deseret Morning News

The recent announcement that Utah State will soon be joining the Western Athletic Conference was as good as it gets for Ladell Andersen.
"It was my glorious day when that happened," he said.
Like the children of Israel, all it took was 40 years of wandering in the wilderness.
Forty years! When USU first applied for admission, the Cuban missile crisis was just around the corner and the Beatles were shocking parents everywhere. The old Skyline Conference was breaking up and a new, optimistic league called the WAC was on the way. Unfortunately, some schools got left out.
Utah State, for one.
Ever since then, theories have abounded as to why USU could never get in. Did it make some sort of social faux-pas?
Was it personal hygiene?
Whatever the reason, USU was frozen out for decades. Years passed, leagues came and went, but nothing happened. Finally, the "glorious day" arrived that former Aggie basketball coach and athletic director Andersen awaited. UTAH STATE, COME ON DOWN! It was a judicious move by the WAC. Similar sizes, resources and regional rivalries made the arrangement logical. The only drawback: Not a single member of the original WAC remains in that league.
None of the old gang was even there to welcome the Aggies into the club.
Ask any longtime Aggie fan about "the conspiracy."
He'll tell you flat-out they were blackballed by their brothers down the road. Petty jealousy, he'll conclude, kept USU from playing in the same conference as Utah and BYU, not economics.
"We tried and tried to get in, and they would never let us in because of BYU's and Utah's jealousy of any success we had up there," said Andersen.
Four decades seems a long time to hold a grudge.
Still, nobody has entirely forgiven Lee Harvey Oswald either.
It actually started in 1962, 41 years ago. A handful of mid-sized Western colleges banded to form what would become a truly colorful conference. Utah, BYU, New Mexico, Arizona, Arizona State and Wyoming signed on.
USU didn't — mainly because it wasn't offered that option.
The Aggies could have lived with that if other things hadn't ensued. For instance, in 1967 the WAC expanded by two teams, adding UTEP and Colorado State. No invitation was forthcoming to USU. After Arizona and ASU left for the Pac-10, the league invited San Diego State, Hawaii and Air Force.
Time after time USU petitioned for WAC admission, to no avail.
Andersen, who was athletic director for 10 years in Logan, remembers compiling booklets explaining how the school drew more fans and had more success than teams such as Wyoming, CSU and UTEP. But the answer was always the same. League presidents said they didn't want to be dominated by three schools from the same state. (Even though there are four schools from North Carolina in the ACC.) Even in the 1990s, when the WAC ballooned to 16 teams, there was no call for USU. Television had changed the landscape of college football and the WAC went searching for new TV markets. That eliminated Logan, which was already in the same market as Utah and BYU.
Now retired and living in St. George, Andersen has nothing to hold back. He was there. He was also an assistant coach at Utah and head coach at BYU, yet remains convinced a conspiracy existed. In the 1960s, USU was having success in both football and basketball against its instate rivals.
"I think (Utah and BYU) were hypocritical, in that they said, 'We voted for you but no one else did.' That's the phoniest deal in the world,"
Andersen said.
His contention is they did vote to include USU, but convinced other schools to vote no.
"I've always said BYU and Utah had enough power and strength through all those years and expansions to get USU in," Andersen continued.
"Sometimes they claimed they didn't have the power, but I know better. They were the power."
Arnie Ferrin, who was Utah's athletic director for 10 years in the 1970s and 80s disagrees, saying the inclusion of USU would have greatly helped keeping costs down.
"I can't speak for BYU, but in my case it would have been wonderful for us to have USU in the conference," he said. He added, "I don't believe there was ever an effort to exclude them."
That's their stories and they're sticking with them.
Was there really a conspiracy?
All I know is the Aggies didn't get into the club until Utah and BYU got out.

Interesting article though.

Basically the original WAC was a merger of Borderland and Skyline Conference schools, without NMSU and USU. Montana and MSU went 1-AA as did Northern Arizona.
erdaaggie,

Nice points and some great information.

Check out his website: <a href='http://sports.mariah95.com/wacalltimefootball.htm' target='_blank'>http://sports.mariah95.com/wacalltimefootball.htm</a>

It has a history of all the WAC schools and all the Western Conferences too.

Anything you could add would be appreciated........
08-09-2005 03:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
erdaaggie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USU

broncobob Wrote:It has a history of all the WAC schools and all the Western Conferences too.

Anything you could add would be appreciated........
Well this is our thinking as to why we were snubbed. Here are our football records from 1960-1979. (The period when we were trying to get in, we played as an independent.)

1960: 9-2-0
1961: 9-1-1
1962: 8-2-0
1963: 8-2-0
1964: 5-4-1
1965: 8-2-0
1966: 4-6-0
1967: 7-2-1
1968: 7-3-0
1969: 3-7-0
1970: 5-5-0
1971: 8-3-0
1972: 8-3-0
1973: 7-4-0
1974: 8-3-0
1975: 6-5-0
1976: 3-8-0
1977: 4-7-0
1978: 7-4-0
1979: 8-2-1

As you can see that for the most part we had some very good teams during this time period. If you were to compare UTEP's, CSU's, Wyoming, Utah's or even BYU's until the tail end, we were better. One of the websites shows that USU has an overall winning record in football, just over 51% winning, even though we have not done well since 1980. (2 winning seasons, 2 bowls, 3 .500 seasons, and 20 losing.)

<a href='http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sunbelt/utah_state/index.php' target='_blank'>http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_i...state/index.php</a>

We also were in the elite 8 in 1969, and won a few other tourney games. USU always felt that if BYU and Utah were not there, we would have gotten in a long time ago. Though USU football is currently down, we do have a winning tradition. The WAC should help us bring it back.

Sorry to ramble, it has just been a long wait. We are happy to be here now, even though it is a different league for the most part. In fact that is a redeeming feature.
08-10-2005 12:21 AM
Advertisement

MeanGreenGem Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas

Ktulu7 Wrote:I just like his comment about LaTech's superior athletic talent when he discussed us playing Florida, Kansas, and North Texas. :D
Yeah, I guess all that superior talent is why NORTH TEXAS holds a 5 W's & 4 L's all time series record over La Tech in football and in the next 2 years we play that will be extended to 7 W's. Nothing like having that superior talent. 04-cheers

We love visitors @ http://www.GoMeanGreen.com (14 million bytes in one recent month) We also just love our anonymity here in this sparsely little populated section of Texas that now has almost 6 million citizens; and that in a 6 county region some call the North Texas Metroplex. 6 million? That's larger than the population of 28 states! (Hey, I'm a 6'th generation Texan that gets a little bragadocio sometimes---sorry). :wave:
08-10-2005 04:05 PM
Ktulu7 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I'm sure the rest of our WAC brethren want to hear all about your crappy team here on the WAC board, just as much as we enjoy your frigging spam on the Tech board. You are the most obnoxious, boasting jerks I've met in college football besides LSU, but at least LSU fans even keep to themselves, rather than come flame the hell out of other people's boards. I'm so glad you're proud that you somehow planted and grew those 6 million people and won all those games yourself. Enjoy the football games in the new mini-stadium you're building near the interstate and I hope you get a box seat with your esteemed and amazing (as you guys proclaim) Dr. Phil. Maybe you should get him and Oprah to buy you some more wins and fans. It seems you have a pretty crappy fan-base considering your amazing population and economy in the area. Don't tell me they're going to SMU for games either, 'cause our game AT SMU last year was more like a Tech home game. Just keep your repetitive boasts on the Sun Belt boards or the North Texas boards, alright?
08-11-2005 04:19 PM
Roughrider Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

[QUOTE]We love visitors @ http://www.GoMeanGreen.com (14 million bytes in one recent month) We also just love our anonymity here in this sparsely little populated section of Texas that now has almost 6 million citizens; and that in a 6 county region some call the North Texas Metroplex. 6 million? That's larger than the population of 28 states! (Hey, I'm a 6'th generation Texan that gets a little bragadocio sometimes---sorry).

Yep Dallas is big. And how many season tix you pulling in from that horde?

Bigger isn't better, better is better. LaTech is more athletic that UNT and you're lucky they aren't in the Sunbelt or you'd be #2 dreaming of playing a bowl game someday.
08-11-2005 05:46 PM
MeanGreenGem Offline
1st String

[QUOTE=Roughrider,Aug 11 2005, 05:46 PM][quote]We love visitors @ http://www.GoMeanGreen.com (14 million bytes in one recent month) We also just love our anonymity here in this sparsely little populated section of Texas that now has almost 6 million citizens; and that in a 6 county region some call the North Texas Metroplex. 6 million? That's larger than the population of 28 states! (Hey, I'm a 6'th generation Texan that gets a little bragadocio sometimes---sorry).

Yep Dallas is big. And how many season tix you pulling in from that horde?

Bigger isn't better, better is better. LaTech is more athletic that UNT and you're lucky they aren't in the Sunbelt or you'd be #2 dreaming of playing a bowl game someday.[/quote]

La Tech is what? More athletic? What decade was that?!?!? LOL! This for you:
..............................................................................................................................
"It is better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak and prove it."
..............................................................................................................................

We don't even consider the Dawgs a competitive game this October but rather a breather on our schedule. If NT's Sir Patrick Cobbs and Super Jamario Thomas (together) run for less than 500 yard, that might be considered a moral victory for the Dawgs; but that is as close to victory as they will get with this Mean Green team by October.

Yep, we have 6 million citizens in our TV market and the WAC does not; sorry Mr. Benson, you could have had NT at one time and you didn't respond and when you did--we acted like we said: "Whats a WAC?:)

The North Texas Metroplex and TV: According to the Dallas Morning News, NT pulls more than its share of good DFW TV ratings. One of the DMN's sportswriters (Cathy Harasta) even wrote a feature exclaiming the virtues (and the good ratings) of the Mean Green when we are on the air while back.

Most feel our soon-to-be built 35K-40,000 seat new football stadium will coordinate quite well with even more local growth and what a Texas state agency who forecast such things as Lone Star public university's future enrollments projection that the University of North Texas enrollment will reach 43,000 students in the next 10 years. That will be at our main campus in Denton because we do have 2 other campuses in DFW, ie, a med school (UNT Health Science Center) in Fort Worth and UNT-Dallas which is in its embryo stages.

The University of North Texas is a work in progress and that is something not all schools can say because of the very nature of their location. I hear location can be a literal program-killer for some NCAA D1-A schools and, uh, conferences. :wave:

GMG!
08-11-2005 08:05 PM
Roughrider Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Facts are you're a decent program that has talent in spots and perhaps better coaching than LaTech, but all that is moot until you actually have some competition in the Sunbelt. Your guys self opinion doesn't match what the rest of the nation sees.

TV markets don't make teams, especially when less than 1% are ever tuned in.

Most feel....soon to be built......answer the question: how many season ticket holders do the mighty mean green have?
08-11-2005 09:24 PM
Advertisement

MeanGreenGem Offline
1st String

Roughrider Wrote:Facts are you're a decent program that has talent in spots and perhaps better coaching than LaTech, but all that is moot until you actually have some competition in the Sunbelt. Your guys self opinion doesn't match what the rest of the nation sees.

TV markets don't make teams, especially when less than 1% are ever tuned in.

Most feel....soon to be built......answer the question:&nbsp; how many season ticket holders do the mighty mean green have?
Like the WAC is some kind of football juggernaut or something? Have you checked the WAC membership score-card lately? Are yall fixin' to give the MWC or PAC 12 a run for their money or something?

I am not employed by the NT Ticket Office so how the hell would I know? I know most of the 10,000 seat west side of our present 30K+ stadium is usually full capacity and that is our season tickets side of the stadium.

Why we're asking all these important question: How many water fountains does your stadium have underneath its east stands? Are they porcelon or stainless steel? How many co-eds does your school have that have grooming issues such as in hair growing on their backs?:( Give me some accurate stats on that one now.

You people must not have TV's out there or if you do you seem to not watch them much according to your less than 1% lagniape. U of NT is located in the nations 7'th largest TV market so I'd bet whatever percent we pull is a helluva lot larger numbers-wise than most of your smaller TV market WAC schools. BUT....yall still don't have the DFW TV market in your once proud league, but the Sun Belt Conference does. Go figure?

And speaking of the Sun Belt Conference? In only its 2'nd year of football existence its football champion beat CUSA's football champion in the best non BCS bowl game around located in the best tourist destination city around--NEW ORELANS. Go ask CUSA officials about the game--they now love it just as much as we do PLUS....its in both of our conferences geographical areas--what a concept, eh?

So what bowls will the WAC have in another 2 years? The SBC is projected to have a 2'nd bowl game by its 6'th or 7'th year of operations. I'd bet few other leagus this young have come near that kind of success in the creation of bowls. BUT FOR THE WAC-ALL IS NOT LOST: I hear the NCAA is creating the new Toilet Bowl for all you WAC'sters as soon as they can find a city 2,000 miles away from your league's footprint who will host it. Wouldn't be holding your breaths while they search, though.

NORTH TEXAS' Nieslen TV ratings stand on their own and no WAK'ster will change that no matter how many irrevelant questions you dish out.

Now....how about your school's co'eds? You know, the ones that inspired the song "Buffalo Girls Want You Come Out Tonight?" :cry:
08-11-2005 10:26 PM
Roughrider Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Not good, not good at all. Keep trying though, after you answer the question.
08-11-2005 10:48 PM
Ktulu7 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

North Texas fans are the most delirious, horn-blowing SOB's around. I'm sure everyone on this board from the WAC will be glad when we put a hellacious country butt-whoopin' on your stupid team from the almighty God-blessed 7th largest EVARRRR!!! metro-suck-plex town. You brag a hell of a lot for having like.... NO percent of your population at your games. Face it, no one outside of frickin' Denton/Dallas whatever, gives a crap whatsoever about North Texas. Just look at the team you so quickly discount. Louisiana Tech. We've only got maybe.. 15,000 students. The town it's in is only about... 30-35k(this is generous even). It's basically the only real town in the parish. We have another 1A team 30 miles away in another small but not as small as Ruston, town. We have just about no money as LSU pretty much owns the state of Louisiana, and yet... we still manage to pull in more talent than NT could dream of and have a better, winning tradition than NT. We don't have to point to some games we almost won but didn't back in the 70's, or some new stadium we got to build because the state government is tearing down our old one for an interstate. We just win, baby. Also, if you're going to use Louisiana words, at least spell them the hell correct. It's "Lagniappe" and "New Orleans." And if you think you speak Cajun or somethin', look up "pilet" and that's what we'll be doing to you guys when you make it to Ruston. You're invited to our little "couchon de lait" before, so that it will be easier to take the loss you'll be handed by our Bulldogs.
08-11-2005 11:33 PM
El Paso Aggie Offline
Banned

I Root For: NMSU

UNT barely averaged 15K fans and this is with 4 times in a row winning the Scum Belt(Thank God we got out!). No one in the "metroplex" gives a damn about UNT, not even their own students. I think even UT-Arlington has as many or more fans than North Texas.
08-12-2005 07:51 AM
BigEasyBulldog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

MeanGreenGem Wrote:...............................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................

We don't even consider the Dawgs a competitive game this October but rather a breather on our schedule. If NT's Sir Patrick Cobbs and Super Jamario Thomas (together) run for less than 500 yard, that might be considered a moral victory for the Dawgs; but that is as close to victory as they will get with this Mean Green team by October.
We feel the same way about you. :wave:
08-12-2005 08:12 AM
Advertisement

broncobob Offline
1st String

Crappies

El Paso Aggie Wrote:UNT barely averaged 15K fans and this is with 4 times in a row winning the Scum Belt(Thank God we got out!). No one in the "metroplex" gives a damn about UNT, not even their own students. I think even UT-Arlington has as many or more fans than North Texas.
Most College football fans know their approx. season ticket count. Boise State is around 19,000 this year. Season Tickets are good barameter of the health of a college football program and their athletics overall.

Until UNT can win games outside their conference, they will have little national respect. How many teams from the Sun Belt have finished in the top 25 since their inception?
08-12-2005 09:48 AM
Ktulu7 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

zero
08-12-2005 01:56 PM
MichealBond Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU and AAC

Some things the WAC should do to rise again:

1.Get the MWC Champ to Meet them in San Diego For The Poinsetta Bowl: This will provide a great location for the Champions of both these Conferences...as well as lots of publicity..because the Champs will probably be ranked most years...

1.Poinsetta Bowl
2.Humanitarian
3.Hawaii Bowl

2.Drop LA Tech: They're a decent school, but totally removed from the conference...It's not helping the WAC or LA Tech to have such a long distance between members...no matter how the scheduling works out...

3. Add Denver for Basketball/Olympic Sports: will provide a 9th member for basketball and presence in Denver..where the league offices are.

4.Add Northern Colorado for All Sports: will provide a 9th football member and a 10th member basketball member. Adds another Colorado Presence where the League Offices are..

I think this would greatly help the WAC....
08-12-2005 03:03 PM
MeanGreenGem Offline
1st String

El Paso Aggie Wrote:UNT barely averaged 15K fans and this is with 4 times in a row winning the Scum Belt(Thank God we got out!). No one in the "metroplex" gives a damn about UNT, not even their own students. I think even UT-Arlington has as many or more fans than North Texas.
Again:

"It is better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak and prove it.

Some of you should heed the aforementioned saying when you start talking about a school you know little or nothing about--especially the part about our exceedingly bright future. Hey, some schools have bright futures and many have hit their maximum potential---what can I say?

And its not about where you've been, Boyz State, its where and how far you can go to the next level with your future. No one in the almighty state of Texas knows doodly squat about your school (or really cares--so we're all even on that part, eh?); BUT.... some know you do have a freakin' blue football field. Texans kind of find that to be quite amusing (and strange).

Anyway, been reading this board, was getting bored, so I thought I would come "un-bore" it for a bit which I think I have obviously succeeded in doing! :wave:

GMG!
08-12-2005 04:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.