Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
7 BCS teams fall to non-bcs/D-AA teams
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
7 BCS teams fall to non-bcs/D-AA teams
Week 1 goes to the non-bcs.
Big Ten 2, Big 12 2, ACC 2, and PAC Ten 1. Big East and SEC unharmed, but some scares for SEC.
09-01-2007 11:13 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
RE: 7 BCS teams fall to non-bcs/D-AA teams
7 BCS losses

BCS Wins over Non-BCS D-1AA:

Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan State
Northwestern
Miami
Virginia Tech
Colorado
Florida
West Virginia
Iowa
Nebraska
Mississippi
Oregon
North Carolina
Maryland
Kentucky
Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Texas A&M
South Carolina
Purdue
Oklahoma
Kansas
Texas
Arkansas
South Florida
Alabama
Indiana
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Louisville
Oregon State

Others still playing...
09-01-2007 11:33 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
umm, mississippi didnt beat a 1AA team. thanks for the putdown. its greatly appreciated.
09-02-2007 12:03 AM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies
north texas is D-1. they play in the sunbelt.
09-02-2007 12:04 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Ugh you guys missed the point. It was non-BCS D-1As and D-1AAs.
09-02-2007 12:13 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:Week 1 goes to the non-bcs.
Big Ten 2, Big 12 2, ACC 2, and PAC Ten 1. Big East and SEC unharmed, but some scares for SEC.

As pointed out in post #2, week 1 most certainly did not go to the non-bcs. In fact, it was I-AA that had the impressive win. As for the scheme overall, let's ignore the labels and look at reality.

1) Appy St over Michigan is of course a shocker. No one saw this coming. The shocker is just the team that lost, and their stature. Appy St finished last season 53rd in the Sagarins and I would have had them winning the Sun Belt and MAC (maybe CUSA) this season, prior to today. I would not have been surprised to see them beat any of the bottom half of I-A. Didn't see a win in the big house coming though.

2) TCU over Baylor is not an upset in any fashion. The Frogs were a 3 TD favorite. Baylor is a likely Big 12 #11 or #12. TCU is a good team that is already ranked.

3) Kent St over Iowa St is a surprise, simply because Kent St is historically horrible. Iowa St is flat out bad, and will comprise the bottom 2 of the Big 12 with Baylor.

4) Bowling Green over Minnesota. The Gophers were roughly pegged around 2nd to last in the Big 10, ahead of only Indiana. This a solid upset due to BG being bad last season, but UM is going no where.

5) Wyoming over Virginia is not a big surprise. UVA was a 3 point favorite solely due to the % of the betting populus that only sees non-BCS vs. BCS. They almost beat the Cavs back east last season, and really should have won it. This year UVA had to travel to Laramie. They returned many starters, but those starters were pitiful last season. The Cowboys did make a statement by blowing the Cavs out.

6) BYU over Arizona is similar to TCU, its simple the better, favored team winning the game. Who had Arizona winning this one? Anyone?

7) UCF over NC State. This is an upset. Congrats to the Golden Knights. As poor as the pack were last year, few saw this one coming.
UCF historically gets run over by each and every BCS opponent, and NCST was expected to be better under O'Brien.

In sum, I'll say here in week 1 that Appy St currently is the only non-BCS team holding a win over a 2007 bowl team.
09-02-2007 12:19 AM
Advertisement

OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

7 losses in one week are a high number. That means that BCS conferences may have trouble filling bowl slots. Big East is the Big Winner as the Big Ten won't see 2 BCS bowl this year. Michigan is out of the national title picture and now can hurt the Big Ten's chances for a 2nd BCS game if they beat Wisconsin, Ohio State or Penn State. Notre Dame is also done. 30 point home loss to an ACC team does get the job done. Next week LSU or Va Tech will have a loss. BE should see Rutgers even move ahead of Michigan.
09-02-2007 12:21 AM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:7 losses in one week are a high number. That means that BCS conferences may have trouble filling bowl slots. Big East is the Big Winner as the Big Ten won't see 2 BCS bowl this year. Michigan is out of the national title picture and now can hurt the Big Ten's chances for a 2nd BCS game if they beat Wisconsin, Ohio State or Penn State. Notre Dame is also done. 30 point home loss to an ACC team does get the job done. Next week LSU or Va Tech will have a loss. BE should see Rutgers even move ahead of Michigan.

hell, michigan wont even be ranked next week. every ranked team will move ahead of them.
09-02-2007 12:59 AM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

BCS teams are expected go undefeated vs all non-BCS teams and D-AA programs. MAC equals last years number of BCS wins in just one week. After a couple years where the BCS dominated the MAC, we had a nice opening week with a pair of wins. The question will be is how many of the teams that beat BCS team can use that to put together an unbeaten season.
09-02-2007 01:44 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:BCS teams are expected go undefeated vs all non-BCS teams and D-AA programs. MAC equals last years number of BCS wins in just one week. After a couple years where the BCS dominated the MAC, we had a nice opening week with a pair of wins. The question will be is how many of the teams that beat BCS team can use that to put together an unbeaten season.

My guess would be none of them... BYU and TCU would be long shots... but there is a few that won non bcs teams that have legit chances... of going undefeated.. Haw, and Boise being 2...
09-02-2007 06:00 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Because of their schedule i say BSU and Hawaii stand the bet shot at going undefeated
09-02-2007 08:43 AM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
aTxTIGER Wrote:umm, mississippi didnt beat a 1AA team. thanks for the putdown. its greatly appreciated.

I says non-BCS and Division I-AA.
09-02-2007 08:51 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Tulsaman Wrote:north texas is D-1. they play in the sunbelt.

Again, his post says non-BCS and Division I-AA, it doesn't just say Division I-AA.
09-02-2007 08:52 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:BCS teams are expected go undefeated vs all non-BCS teams and D-AA programs.

Obviously that's not true or BYU and TCU wouldn't have been favored in their games. And in past year schools like Boise State and Utah were favored over BCS teams.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2007 08:58 AM by CatsClaw.)
09-02-2007 08:58 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
CollegeCard Wrote:
OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:Week 1 goes to the non-bcs.

As pointed out in post #2, week 1 most certainly did not go to the non-bcs. In fact, it was I-AA that had the impressive win. As for the scheme overall, let's ignore the labels and look at reality.

1) Appy St over Michigan is of course a shocker. No one saw this coming. The shocker is just the team that lost, and their stature. Appy St finished last season 53rd in the Sagarins and I would have had them winning the Sun Belt and MAC (maybe CUSA) this season, prior to today. I would not have been surprised to see them beat any of the bottom half of I-A. Didn't see a win in the big house coming though.

2) TCU over Baylor is not an upset in any fashion. The Frogs were a 3 TD favorite. Baylor is a likely Big 12 #11 or #12. TCU is a good team that is already ranked.

3) Kent St over Iowa St is a surprise, simply because Kent St is historically horrible. Iowa St is flat out bad, and will comprise the bottom 2 of the Big 12 with Baylor.

4) Bowling Green over Minnesota. The Gophers were roughly pegged around 2nd to last in the Big 10, ahead of only Indiana. This a solid upset due to BG being bad last season, but UM is going no where.

5) Wyoming over Virginia is not a big surprise. UVA was a 3 point favorite solely due to the % of the betting populus that only sees non-BCS vs. BCS. They almost beat the Cavs back east last season, and really should have won it. This year UVA had to travel to Laramie. They returned many starters, but those starters were pitiful last season. The Cowboys did make a statement by blowing the Cavs out.

6) BYU over Arizona is similar to TCU, its simple the better, favored team winning the game. Who had Arizona winning this one? Anyone?

7) UCF over NC State. This is an upset. Congrats to the Golden Knights. As poor as the pack were last year, few saw this one coming.
UCF historically gets run over by each and every BCS opponent, and NCST was expected to be better under O'Brien.

In sum, I'll say here in week 1 that Appy St currently is the only non-BCS team holding a win over a 2007 bowl team.

I will just comment on the MWC games

TCU vs. Baylor: most definitely expected TCU to win the game, but a shutout of any opponent especially a BCS opponent is hard to do in todays game. TCU also won this game easily with a RSfr QB, without their starting tailback, and without Tommy Blake (easily the best player on the team). Baylor continues to sputter, simply put they need a new coach. Jerry Moore the App State coach is a Baylor alum.

Arizona vs. BYU: BYU lost to Arizona last season, so many people I know picked Arizona to win. Especially since BYU lost a lot more playmakers from last year than did Arizona. Arizona struggled big time on the ground, and was not able to get much going in the air against BYUs defense. BYUs QB in his first college start passed for 288 yards against what many consider to be a top secondary unit (just look at the preseason magazines). Unga, BYUs 2nd string tailback had 196 total yards (receiving and running)

Wyoming vs. Virginia: I liked Wyoming in this game, but many Hoo and ACC fans thought UVA was going to run away with this one. I did not see the game, but from what I have heard, UVA was not conditioned to play football at 7200 feet elevation and the UVA hogs were sucking wind early. The impressive thing to me is that Wyoming held UVA to 108 total yards.

In the end, it is not that the MWC teams won but to me it is the fashion in which they did it. If you look at some of the stats, they indicate domination of the lines of scrimmage, which is pretty rare for a non-BCS team to do to a BCS team. The MWC played 5 games against BCS opponents this week. I also included the two losses, Utah vs. Oregon State and Colorado State vs. Colorado. I obviously do not collect all the stats for all non-BCS vs. BCS matchups. But from games I have watched, non-BCS teams often beat BCS teams through passing and complex offenses. Not through a more physical style of play.

Rushing yards
MWC: 681 (136.2 avg)
opp: 449 (89.9 avg)
09-02-2007 09:10 AM
stpnum4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I was able to catch the Wyoming game (Im from the midwest so it was a hell of a lot more interesting then MSU/UAB) and UW looked pretty sharp. I was impressed.
09-02-2007 09:12 AM
Advertisement

Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
aTxTIGER Wrote:umm, mississippi didnt beat a 1AA team. thanks for the putdown. its greatly appreciated.

I know others have already corrected the misperception from my post but the title of the thread is Non BCS and D1AA. So memphis unfortunately falls into that category. As a Cincinnati Bearcat fan I have nothing but respect for our former conference brethren.

Good luck to the Tigers.
09-02-2007 09:48 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Uconn should have been on the list that beat non bcs... U really can't call Duke BCS...
09-02-2007 10:50 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
goodknightfl Wrote:Uconn should have been on the list that beat non bcs... U really can't call Duke BCS...

You can probably say the same about their conference mates UVa and NCSt. Others: Baylor, Iowa State, Stanford. Minnesota also seems to be in a rapid free-fall.
09-02-2007 11:01 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
tcufrog86 Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:As pointed out in post #2, week 1 most certainly did not go to the non-bcs. In fact, it was I-AA that had the impressive win. As for the scheme overall, let's ignore the labels and look at reality.

I will just comment on the MWC games

TCU vs. Baylor: most definitely expected TCU to win the game, but a shutout of any opponent especially a BCS opponent is hard to do in todays game. TCU also won this game easily with a RSfr QB, without their starting tailback, and without Tommy Blake (easily the best player on the team). Baylor continues to sputter, simply put they need a new coach. Jerry Moore the App State coach is a Baylor alum.

Arizona vs. BYU: BYU lost to Arizona last season, so many people I know picked Arizona to win. Especially since BYU lost a lot more playmakers from last year than did Arizona. Arizona struggled big time on the ground, and was not able to get much going in the air against BYUs defense. BYUs QB in his first college start passed for 288 yards against what many consider to be a top secondary unit (just look at the preseason magazines). Unga, BYUs 2nd string tailback had 196 total yards (receiving and running)

Wyoming vs. Virginia: I liked Wyoming in this game, but many Hoo and ACC fans thought UVA was going to run away with this one. I did not see the game, but from what I have heard, UVA was not conditioned to play football at 7200 feet elevation and the UVA hogs were sucking wind early. The impressive thing to me is that Wyoming held UVA to 108 total yards.

In the end, it is not that the MWC teams won but to me it is the fashion in which they did it. If you look at some of the stats, they indicate domination of the lines of scrimmage, which is pretty rare for a non-BCS team to do to a BCS team. The MWC played 5 games against BCS opponents this week. I also included the two losses, Utah vs. Oregon State and Colorado State vs. Colorado. I obviously do not collect all the stats for all non-BCS vs. BCS matchups. But from games I have watched, non-BCS teams often beat BCS teams through passing and complex offenses. Not through a more physical style of play.

Rushing yards
MWC: 681 (136.2 avg)
opp: 449 (89.9 avg)

Valid points.

I should have noted that TCU shutting out Baylor was impressive, despite that they were supposed to win that kind of game. Part of me not saying it earlier is because I know TCU can play with most people, and would beat a majority of BCS teams at this point. I knew the Bears didn't score much last season on the Frogs, and they wouldn't this year either. Next week in Austin should be very interesting, I think TCU has a solid shot to win. Texas didn't impress this week, and they seem to have someone getting suspended every week.

BYU did lose by 3 on a last second 48 yarder to AZ last year, but they controlled that game offensively. I fully expected the Cougs to win yesterday because I think they would have beaten AZ by at least several TD's if they had played in October or later last fall. Neither team could run the ball on each other last year, so BYU rushing for 105 yards was an improvement. They dominated, as AZ didn't score until the last minute of the game.

We both thought Wyoming was going to win. UVA has been overrated for several pre-seasons in a row now. When will it stop? Who knows.
09-02-2007 01:58 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.