Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Replacing Gardner-Webb
Bookmark and Share
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Replacing Gardner-Webb
Since Gardner-Webb is leaving after 2007-2008, who would you pick to replace them? Here are the likely candidates:

Winthrop (Big South)
Liberty (Big South)
Radford (Big South)
Longwood University (Independent)
High Point (Big South)
Centenary College (Summit)
New Jersey Institute of Technology (Independent)
08-25-2007 08:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
RE: Replacing Gardner-Webb
May not be who I would pick, but I'd place my early bet on Longwood. A-Sun would be a step down for Winthrop, Liberty's vision is to move to D1-A, Radford and Highpoint would be increasing their travel budgets to move to A-Sun.

Longwood just has nothing to lose by coming to A-Sun.
08-25-2007 10:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
My money is on a division 2 school....or not at all
08-25-2007 11:33 AM
Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
I agree with Goldfinger. I would hope for Winthrop, but why in the world would they leave the big south.
08-25-2007 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kr983 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I agree with BucDoctor.... Longwood
08-25-2007 12:04 PM
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
In the time Longwood has been out there as an indy, the A-Sun has plucked KSU, UNF, Upst, and FGCU from the D-II ranks.

UNCW would be more likely than Centenary.

I'd lean toward "nobody" for now. On the other hand, how 'bout these guys (they might show up at your arena in an old tie-dyed VW Vanagon with a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker on the back)......

http://www.warren-wilson.edu/~athletics/...etball.php
08-25-2007 12:30 PM
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
I'd agree with the "nobody" bet... but of course I would hope for Winthrop... the only advantage they have in the Big South is weak competition. Let's not paint the Big South to be some great conference. They are ranked in the RPI below the A-Sun even when we have several DII transitioners.
08-25-2007 01:15 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Quote:On the other hand, how 'bout these guys

http://www.etsubucs.com/sports/mbball/re...SE_ID=5497
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2007 01:19 PM by ETSUfan1.)
08-25-2007 01:17 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
OrangeCamel Wrote:In the time Longwood has been out there as an indy, the A-Sun has plucked KSU, UNF, Upst, and FGCU from the D-II ranks.

I agree Camel, but Winthrop, Radford, Liberty, UNCW, etc. have been out there for a good time as well with apparently no desire to change conferences.

On the otherhand, this coming year is the first year of full D1AAA eligibility for Longwood. They are looking to move up, none of the others mentioned thus far have been looking to move down. One could argue that a move from the Big South to the A-Sun MIGHT be a move up, but with the travel expense for Radford, UNCW, Liberty, it would be a budget killer.

We must remember the decision to initiate a conference change come from the College/University. That decision usually comes with a thoughted reason (ETSU excluded). Longwood made the decision to move to D1AAA, I'm assuming they also made the logical desision that they want to have a conference affiliation.

Just my thoughts, but I believe the reason that the A-Sun gets the move ups (again ETSU excluded) is contained in the above logic.

Other's mules mileage may vary.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2007 01:50 PM by BucDoctor.)
08-25-2007 01:47 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Winthrop being a charter member of the Big South is what hurts their ability to move around. However, it does make perfect sense for them to consider the A-Sun. They do not have plans to sponsor football, and they are very good in baseball in addition to basketball. This fits the A-Sun mold 100%. Now I know it's still complete fantasy to even consider the idea, but this is what the A-Sun needs (a new team that would make a splash).

That ASun 'motto' they just unleashed makes me think they've never even thought of this idea though. I hope the A-Sun rethinks their motto on "focusing on everything EXCEPT kicking ass on the field/court"
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2007 05:12 PM by MercerFan.)
08-25-2007 05:11 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
If the Dub left the CAA for the A-Sun I think their alumni and fans would burn the campus to the ground. Most of them are bitter and just the thought of going to the SoCon.
08-25-2007 11:39 PM
Advertisement

SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion
chargeradio Wrote:Since Gardner-Webb is leaving after 2007-2008, who would you pick to replace them? Here are the likely candidates:

Winthrop (Big South)
Liberty (Big South)
Radford (Big South)
Longwood University (Independent)
High Point (Big South)
Centenary College (Summit)
New Jersey Institute of Technology (Independent)

Centenary was a founding member of the TAAC.....
08-26-2007 04:40 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
According to an alumni letter my brother and sister got last year, Radford isn't going anywhere. Longwood is the biggest possibility, though I'm sure there are several schools looking to move up soon
08-27-2007 10:16 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Must there be a replacement
08-28-2007 03:20 AM
Quote this message in a reply
ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State
Let's take a quick look at the options based on the schools who got in under the new 4 year lock-out:
Full NCAA D-I member (first year and eligible for NCAA D-I championships)
Cal-Davis (GWC FB, Big West BB)
Longwood (VA) (In your footprint)
Northern Colorado (Big Sky)

Transition Year 4
North Dakota State (Gateway FB, Summit BB)
South Dakota State (Gateway FB, Summit BB)

Transition Year 3
Kennesaw State (A-Sun)
New Jersey Inst of Tech (possible, but a big stretch. Likely AE #10)
North Florida (A-Sun)
Utah Valley State (Summit?, but not an option)

Transition Year 2 (must meet all D-I scheduling requirements and counts for D-I RPI purposes)
Cal-Bakersfield (Big West?)
Central Arkansas (Southland)
Winston-Salem State (MEAC school #12, additional schools unlikely)

Transition Year 1 (does not count as D-I for RPI purporses)
Florida Gulf Coast (A-Sun)
North Carolina Central (an HBCU, MEAC's at 12, they're in your footprint)
Presbyterian (Big South)
South Carolina Upstate (A-Sun)

Exploratory Year (eligible for D-II championships)
Bryant (Rhode Island school, likely AE #11 or NEC bound)
Houston Baptist (Southland?)
New Haven (CT) (AE #12 or NEC)
North Dakota (GWC for Fb, likely Summit for BB)
Seattle (WCC likely, but not an option)
South Dakota (GWC for Fb, likely Summit for BB)
SIU-Edwardsville (Horizon?, but Illinois too far from your footprint)

Also, the current Independent Divison 1 schools not listed:
Texas A&M-CC (nope)
Texas-Pan American (uh-uh)
IPFW (Indiana's a big stretch)
Savannah State (In your footprint)

So as I see it, you can stay at 11 or choose from the following:
North Carolina Central (holding out for MEAC)
Savannah State (long suffering, under performing)
Longwood <<< Best option for the sake of stability.

There, I just saved your President's a lengthy meeting and a consultant's fee. 04-cheers
08-28-2007 02:19 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
DonatorsDonators
Choo Choo, I think if the conference higher ups read (or already read this board and act on it) that they could save a lot of money paying us consulting fees than trying and failing.
08-28-2007 03:16 PM
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
It's as simple as this -- Replace them with an existing full member of D1, or don't replace them at all.
08-28-2007 04:00 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
NCCU has been invited to rejoin the MEAC by 2011, which would be when NCCU completes its return to Division I. Since that would bring the MEAC to 13, I'd expect Savannah State to be the 14th school. Delaware State has flirted with leaving before (Northeast Conference), which could spoil SSU's chances.

IPFW became a member of The Summit League this July.

Kennesaw State may be an option once they have football, and the Big South has the ability (i.e., automatic bid) to prevent them from joining on a football-only membership.

Speaking of football-is Davidson going to be allowed to continue as a non-football member of the Southern Conference forever? Samford gives the conference has 11 for football, and booting Davidson, who plays in the Pioneer League, could open up the door for someone like Jacksonville State (if they don't move up), Coastal Carolina, or even a new program (Charlotte, Kennesaw State, etc.).
08-28-2007 05:55 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
DonatorsDonators
Not going to get a lot of hype pulling for Kennesaw Football from many outsiders; however, thanks many times over for showing some options I haven't heard of before.
08-28-2007 06:26 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
The moves of Gardner-Webb, Presbyterian, and Samford - once done - will lead to leagues looking like this ...

SOUTHERN CONFERENCE (12)
Samford
Tennessee-Chattanooga
Western Carolina
Appalachian State
Elon
UNC Greensboro (no football)
Davidson (non-scholarship football)
Furman
Wofford
Citadel
Charleston (no football)
Georgia Southern

The Southern Conference will have 9 members for football and 12 members for other sports.

BIG SOUTH CONFERENCE (10)
Liberty
VMI
Radford (no football)
High Point (no football)
UNC Asheville (no football)
Gardner Webb
Winthrop (no football)
Presbyterian
Coastal Carolina
Charleston Southern

The Big South Conference will have 6 members for football and 10 members for other sports. Stony Brook, an America East Conference school in all other sports, will play football-only in the Big South Conference for a few years while hoping that the unwieldy Colonial Athletic Association football coalition eventually splits into two separate leagues (CAA and AEC).

OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE (10)
Eastern Illinois
Southeast Missouri State
Morehead State (non-scholarship football)
Eastern Kentucky
Murray State
Tennessee-Martin
Austin Peay
Tennessee State
Tennessee Tech
Jacksonville State

The Ohio Valley Conference will have 9 members for football and 10 members for other sports.

COLONIAL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (12)
Northeastern
Hofstra
Drexel (no football)
Delaware
Towson
George Mason (no football)
James Madison
Virginia Commonwealth (no football)
William & Mary
Old Dominion (will start playing CAA football in 2013)
UNC Wilmington (no football)
Georgia State (no football)

The Colonial Athletic Association currently has 6 (plus 6 associate) members for football and 12 members for other sports. Those 6 football-only members are Maine and New Hampshire of the AEC ... Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Richmond of the A-10 ... and Villanova of the Big East.

Today's popular internet speculation is that the entry of Old Dominion in 2013 might drive the five AEC & A-10 football associate schools out of the CAA and into setting up a long-desired America East football alignment that would also include Albany, Stony Brook, and probably Central Connecticut (currently in the NEC for all sports).

This would leave the CAA with 7 football members, plus Villanova, and the possibility of George Mason or Georgia State starting the sport sometime in the future. The AEC would have the 8 members mentioned above (Albany, Stony Brook, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, Central Connecticut). Richmond and Villanova may be switched but institutional relationships would dictate which football-only members go where.

AMERICA EAST CONFERENCE (9)
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont (no football)
Boston U (no football)
Hartford (no football)
Albany
Stony Brook
Binghamton (no football)
UMBC (no football)

The America East Conference currently has 9 members in all sports and does not yet sponsor football. As speculated above, Central Connecticut would be a good choice for a 10th member, enhancing the travel partner situation in minor sports and helping lay the foundation for starting up football in the future.

ATLANTIC-10 CONFERENCE
Massachusetts (currently CAA football)
Rhode Island (currently CAA football)
St. Bonaventure
Duquesne (will be joining NEC football)
Xavier
Dayton (currently Pioneer football)
Fordham (currently Patriot football)
Temple (currently MAC football)
St. Joseph's
LaSalle (likely joining Pioneer football)
George Washington
Richmond (currently CAA football)
Charlotte
St. Louis

The Atlantic-10 Conference currently has 14 members in all sports and no longer sponsors football. In an ideal world, the A-10 and AEC could "TRADE" Massachusetts & Rhode Island for Boston U & Hartford. Such an event would greatly enhance the likelihood of America East football ever becoming a reality.

The biggest roadblock this happening, of course, is that Massachusetts & Rhode Island would not want to give up the higher profile of A-10 basketball. What they do not realize is that their presence would raise that profile of AEC basketball and they probably would not suffer like they are rumored to be fearing. Most importantly, though, they would gain regional stability for their football programs and be in a league completely composed of similar state flagship-type institutions.

The Atlantic-10 Conference is currently a hodgepodge of public and private institutions with vastly differing levels of commitment to their football programs living off the league's past glory in basketball. Boston U & Hartford would be fine in this league but, eventually, institutions with a high commitment to their football programs will have to start aligning themselves with like-minded peers across the board.

ATLANTIC SUN CONFERENCE (11)
Belmont
Lipscomb
East Tennessee State
Campbell (non-scholarship football)
USC Upstate
Kennesaw State
Mercer
North Florida
Jacksonville (non-scholarship football)
Stetson
Florida Gulf Coast

The Atlantic Sun Conference will have 11 members in all sports and not sponsor football. Perhaps the conference leaders are waiting to see if ETSU restarts football and bolts to another league. If they wait, and this does indeed happen, the conference would be reduced to an even 10 teams. If they were to add Longwood now, only to have ETSU leave later, y'all would be stuck with 11 schools again anyway.
09-25-2007 04:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.