Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
WHY 12?
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE
WHY 12?
Cyberbull made this excellent point in another thread....
The point both of you are not considering is that with 4 out of the 6 BCS conference having a championship game, it wouldn't be a stretch for a movement to start for all BCS conferences to have a similar game. Sooner or later college football is going to move toward a playoff, thus what more equitable system than having each league's playoff/BCS representative be decided through a league championship game.
My question is, if the BCS went to such a format...is there a rule or something that says you have to have twelve teams to have a championship game? Why couldn't a 10 team conference or an eight team conference have a championship game? I think people would flock to see WVU and Louisville play for a second time in...let's say..Cincy? Or Rutgers and WVU in Pitt or DC. Why does it have to be a twelve team format if a championship game becomes a prereq to a playoff?
07-26-2007 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: WHY 12?
cardtopper Wrote:My question is, if the BCS went to such a format...is there a rule or something that says you have to have twelve teams to have a championship game?

In I-A, yes.
In I-AA, it is ten.
07-26-2007 08:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
cardtopper Wrote:Cyberbull made this excellent point in another thread....
The point both of you are not considering is that with 4 out of the 6 BCS conference having a championship game, it wouldn't be a stretch for a movement to start for all BCS conferences to have a similar game. Sooner or later college football is going to move toward a playoff, thus what more equitable system than having each league's playoff/BCS representative be decided through a league championship game.
My question is, if the BCS went to such a format...is there a rule or something that says you have to have twelve teams to have a championship game? Why couldn't a 10 team conference or an eight team conference have a championship game? I think people would flock to see WVU and Louisville play for a second time in...let's say..Cincy? Or Rutgers and WVU in Pitt or DC. Why does it have to be a twelve team format if a championship game becomes a prereq to a playoff?

It would require a rule change from the NCAA for less than 12 teams. During the aftermath of the first ACC expansion attempt, the ACC asked if it could have a championship game with just 11 teams. The NCAA in their infinite wisdom said no, despite the fact that allowing the ACC to stage a game with 11 teams would have preventing further raiding of the BigEast and eventually C-USA. Furthermore if the NCAA would allow for a championship game with just 10 teams, then the PAC 10 would just stand pat and the BE could just add Memphis and ECU.
07-26-2007 08:15 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
CyberBull Wrote:
cardtopper Wrote:Cyberbull made this excellent point in another thread....

It would require a rule change from the NCAA for less than 12 teams. During the aftermath of the first ACC expansion attempt, the ACC asked if it could have a championship game with just 11 teams. The NCAA in their infinite wisdom said no, despite the fact that allowing the ACC to stage a game with 11 teams would have preventing further raiding of the BigEast and eventually C-USA. Furthermore if the NCAA would allow for a championship game with just 10 teams, then the PAC 10 would just stand pat and the BE could just add Memphis and ECU.

It's my understanding that the SEC and Big 12 objected, because they had to expand to 12 to get the championship game and that the Big Ten and the Pac-10 didn't want 10 to be the number since neither wanted a championship game at that point in time and lowering the number to 10 would lead to a lot of questions and media speculation of both conferences as to why they don't have one.

Cheers,
Neil
07-26-2007 08:19 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If the NCAA moves toward a true national championship playoff, the conference championship game would be for a spot in the playoff. But I don't see why all conferences need to be forced into a conference playoff. Conferences like the BEast, Big 10, and Pac 10 should have tie breakers in place to prevent a situation where the determination of the conference champion in case of a tie is determined on the field - instead of popularity or length of time (as the Big 10 currently does).
07-27-2007 03:20 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I agree about not having to have a championship game to make the playoffs. A conference champion should be enough to get in.
07-27-2007 04:17 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
even if the championship game rule was at 10 teams, they conference shouldnt have to have a champ game. hell the big 10 and pac 10 didnt have a conference basketball tourney until just a few years ago.
07-27-2007 07:54 PM
Advertisement

OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
Conferences with a championship game could be given a bye SEC, Big 12, ACC, MAC, CUSA while the others and Notre Dame have to play an opening round game.
round 1- week 14
ACC title game
SEC title game
Big 12 title game
CUSA title game
MAC title game
WAC plays the Pac Ten winner
MWC plays the Big Ten winner
highest ranked of Notre Dame/Navy/Army/Sun Belt plays the Big East winner
ROUND 2-week 15
WAC/Pac Ten winner vs Big 12 champ
MWC/Big Ten winner vs MAC champ
ND/BE winner vs ACC Champ
CUSA winner vs SEC champ

round 3- week 16
game 1
game 2

week 17
Bowl Games-for non-conference champions
SEC runner up vs Big Ten runner up
ACC runner up vs Big East runner up
Big 12 runner up vs Pac Ten runner up
CUSA runner up vs Sun Belt Champ/ND/Navy/Army
MWC runner up vs WAC runner up
Sun Belt runner up or ND/Navy/Army vs MAC runner up

round 4
National title game

Every school has an opportunity to win the title and forces teams to win on the field.
07-28-2007 09:26 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
The rule is that you need to have 12 teams in order to stage a championship game as the 13th game in a season. You could theoretically go stage one with 11 teams but you would somehow have to make it part of a regular 12 game season.
07-28-2007 09:38 PM
Advertisement

cardtopper Offline
1st String

Shannon Panther Wrote:The rule is that you need to have 12 teams in order to stage a championship game as the 13th game in a season. You could theoretically go stage one with 11 teams but you would somehow have to make it part of a regular 12 game season.

That would be idea for the Big East with our scheduling problems but I doubt schools would give up their 12th game which is probably a home game and money maker just to have a championship game and 12th game for two schools.
07-29-2007 02:40 AM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:Conferences with a championship game could be given a bye SEC, Big 12, ACC, MAC, CUSA while the others and Notre Dame have to play an opening round game.
round 1- week 14
ACC title game
SEC title game
Big 12 title game
CUSA title game
MAC title game
WAC plays the Pac Ten winner
MWC plays the Big Ten winner
highest ranked of Notre Dame/Navy/Army/Sun Belt plays the Big East winner
ROUND 2-week 15
WAC/Pac Ten winner vs Big 12 champ
MWC/Big Ten winner vs MAC champ
ND/BE winner vs ACC Champ
CUSA winner vs SEC champ

round 3- week 16
game 1
game 2

week 17
Bowl Games-for non-conference champions
SEC runner up vs Big Ten runner up
ACC runner up vs Big East runner up
Big 12 runner up vs Pac Ten runner up
CUSA runner up vs Sun Belt Champ/ND/Navy/Army
MWC runner up vs WAC runner up
Sun Belt runner up or ND/Navy/Army vs MAC runner up

round 4
National title game

Every school has an opportunity to win the title and forces teams to win on the field.

Now this is really crazy. You really think the Big Ten, Pac Ten and Big East are going to let the MAC and C-USA have a bye while they play a first round game. No knock on anyone but that will happen when hell freezes over and pigs fly. It's just a status thing. The major conferences are not going to look like prelimary game conferences like that....and honestly, why should they?
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2007 02:47 AM by cardtopper.)
07-29-2007 02:43 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
ND would never agree to that. They'd never get past the first round. 05-mafia

I also agree with cardtopper. It's about the dumbest idea I've ever seen. No way would a BCS conference have to play an elimination game while ANY non-BCS conference gets a bye. That's ludicrous.
07-29-2007 06:50 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.