Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2008 Recruiting Depth Chart
Bookmark and Share
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
2008 Recruiting Depth Chart
With 4 scholarships left to give out for the 08 class I'm just trying to get an idea of who were after. Feel free to tell me some additions or subtractions, or even our chances in getting some of these guys.
PG Targets
1. Courtney Fortson
2. Cashmere Wright
3. Dashan Harris
4. Terrell Holloway

C Targets
1. Xavier Gibson
2. ?

SF Targets
1. Dequan Jones
2. Chris Singleton
3. Darius Miller

PF Targets
1. Troy Gillenwater
2. ?

SG Targets
1. Tony Mitchell
2. Eshaunte Jones
3. Teondre Williams
4. Paul Williams

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2007 11:17 PM by UCbball21.)
07-11-2007 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mr Happy
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: 2008 Recruiting Depth Chart
You forgot Willie Warren. 03-nerner

07-11-2007 10:56 PM
Quote this message in a reply
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

Put Cashmere as the number two point, Tony Mitchell as the number one shooting guard and Dequan Jones as the number one SF and the list looks pretty good.

07-11-2007 10:58 PM
mrstealz012 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Flight, i'm assuming Tony Mitchell's recent committment to Alabama isn't stopping Mick from persuing, or is the interest mutual? i've noticed that since the AAU event last weekend, wright has decommitted from clemson and has an interest in UC.

07-11-2007 11:16 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

Thanks for your input Flight, it's always appreciated. 04-bow
Good to hear that Mitchell's recruitment might not be over just yet, really crossing my fingers for that guy. What do you think are chances are with Dequan Jones, that kid is a flat out stud athlete whose skills, most notably his shot, improve every day...I really like that kids game.

07-11-2007 11:21 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

UC lead for Dequan for a long time but I'm not sure where Mick stands with him right now. Considering that I saw Tony Stubblefield talkng to the Hoop Planet coach for about 30 minutes when Tony Mitchell was about 2 feet away, I would say that UC isn't going to let this go down without a fight.

07-11-2007 11:25 PM
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

JFlight21 Wrote:UC lead for Dequan for a long time but I'm not sure where Mick stands with him right now. Considering that I saw Tony Stubblefield talkng to the Hoop Planet coach for about 30 minutes when Tony Mitchell was about 2 feet away, I would say that UC isn't going to let this go down without a fight.

Thanks Flight

07-11-2007 11:31 PM
mrstealz012 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
always appreciated Flight, thank you

07-11-2007 11:40 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
mrstealz012 Wrote:Flight, i'm assuming Tony Mitchell's recent committment to Alabama isn't stopping Mick from persuing, or is the interest mutual? i've noticed that since the AAU event last weekend, wright has decommitted from clemson and has an interest in UC.

Interesting. Sounds like the on campus Addidas event might be paying early dividends.

07-12-2007 07:31 AM
Mr Happy
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I pretty much had written off Fortsen and Tony Mitchell. I still don't hold out high hopes of getting them, but UK's situation of multiple PG's verballing to them should take them out of the mix. So that would leave UT. Hopefully we're still in the picture. Same with Mitchell.

It's always good to hear stuff like our coaches continuing to battle for a recruit.

Also good to hear about Cashmere Wright and Eshaunte Jones decommitting, reopening their recruitment and putting UC on their lists.

I'm still concerned about our big man situation. You don't hear much about any big men being interested in UC.

07-12-2007 07:34 AM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
bearcat1965 Wrote:Same with Mitchell.

It's always good to hear stuff like our coaches continuing to battle for a recruit.

You don't want our coaches to respect Mitchell's verbal to Alabama?

07-12-2007 08:23 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
I didn't mind when Bob snagged Jihad away from his commitment to Baylor. Don't see why I would mind now. You think coaches are not still going after Yancey? Verbals don't mean anything in today's game. Look at how many top 200 kids have decommitted in the last 2 weeks alone. As a hall of fame coach once said:

"Verbals just let you know who the real competition is."

07-12-2007 08:30 AM
BillyDon Offline
All American

I Root For:

Donators
rath v2.0 Wrote:I didn't mind when Bob snagged Jihad away from his commitment to Baylor. Don't see why I would mind now. You think coaches are not still going after Yancey? Verbals don't mean anything in today's game. Look at how many top 200 kids have decommitted in the last 2 weeks alone. As a hall of fame coach once said:

Look at what Indiana did to Illinois. I think the saying that describes it best is: There is no honor amongst theives. Don

07-12-2007 08:38 AM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

rath v2.0 Wrote:I didn't mind when Bob snagged Jihad away from his commitment to Baylor. Don't see why I would mind now. You think coaches are not still going after Yancey? Verbals don't mean anything in today's game. Look at how many top 200 kids have decommitted in the last 2 weeks alone. As a hall of fame coach once said:

You can let a recruit through back channels know you are interested if he has second thoughts but I think you need to show some class and back off somewhat if the player has made a solid verbal.

You continue to make a good tag team with Chatter in twisting everything into a comparison with the Huggins years. I really don't know how solid Jihad's commitment was with Baylor or how dirty our tactics were ; every situation is different. If is is Huggins or Cronin though in the long run I think they need to show some respect for the process and not become known as a program that is too cut-throat in their recruiting methods.

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2007 09:05 AM by cincybb51.)
07-12-2007 09:04 AM
bearcat PACO Offline
Banned

I Root For: June 1st 2009
Dequan Jones would be a great get to "replace" Wilks scholly. I saw him play last year and he is a freak athleticly

07-12-2007 11:14 AM
Mr Happy
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
cincybb51 Wrote:
bearcat1965 Wrote:Same with Mitchell.

You don't want our coaches to respect Mitchell's verbal to Alabama?

It's open season 'til they sign on the dotted line. There are doubtfully no coaches in the NCAA that respect a kids verbal to another college.

I remember hearing Mick say that other top programs are still going after some of his players that have verballed. I remember him saying that after Belton played well in the state playoffs, that some of the big programs were trying to talk him out of his verbal (now LOI) at the time.

I can especially see it if it's a kid that had you in his top two or three and appeared nonchalant about their verbal choice. Also, when things develop like the program they verballed to possibly gets another verbal from a player that the recruit would be competing with at his position. There are all kinds of reasons.

I'd just hate to give up on a kid if he was serious about your program at one time. Especially when he comes on campus for a tournament and can see your facilities.

I have no problem with it all, because I know any program that could steal or could have stolen Gates or Wilks, would have done so in a heartbeat.

07-12-2007 11:32 AM
Advertisement

GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

I Root For: UC
If you honor every verbal and back off, you will end up having a hard time getting back in if the ever reopen. It's a double edged sword in an often ugly process. Tubby Smith played the recruiting game the way you suggest 51. How did that go???

07-12-2007 11:35 AM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

GameTime_21 Wrote:If you honor every verbal and back off, you will end up having a hard time getting back in if the ever reopen. It's a double edged sword in an often ugly process. Tubby Smith played the recruiting game the way you suggest 51. How did that go???

Best Wishes on your Marriage!

Of course we don't want a coach who gives up on a star recruit if there is some hope. I said that you keep your interest known through the back channels to test the sincerity of the kid's commitment. I was questioning Beatcat1965's statement about him hearing how hard we are still fighting for Mitchell. I just think your reputation is better off if you go about things in a more subtle way after the player has verballed. In any one case being blatant about your continued pursuit of a committed player might work but in the long run showing some class in how you do it might be best for the program.

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2007 12:21 PM by cincybb51.)
07-12-2007 12:20 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
cincybb51 Wrote:

You can let a recruit through back channels know you are interested if he has second thoughts but I think you need to show some class and back off somewhat if the player has made a solid verbal.

You continue to make a good tag team with Chatter in twisting everything into a comparison with the Huggins years. I really don't know how solid Jihad's commitment was with Baylor or how dirty our tactics were ; every situation is different. If is is Huggins or Cronin though in the long run I think they need to show some respect for the process and not become known as a program that is too cut-throat in their recruiting methods.

Save your finger pointing for someone who cares. If anything I just defended a decision made by Bob and his coaching staff yet somehow you twist it as a slam of some sort because it screws up your holier than thou perspective on recruiting kids who have given a verbal. Facts is facts. And the fact is just about every coach in the land is doing this and has been for years. The only folks who cry are the ones who lose a recruit. Those same folks never seem to cry when their school cherry picks another program's commitments, do they?

07-12-2007 01:05 PM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

rath v2.0 Wrote:
cincybb51 Wrote:

Save your finger pointing for someone who cares. If anything I just defended a decision made by Bob and his coaching staff yet somehow you twist it as a slam of some sort because it screws up your holier than thou perspective on recruiting kids who have given a verbal. Facts is facts. And the fact is just about every coach in the land is doing this and has been for years. The only folks who cry are the ones who lose a recruit. Those same folks never seem to cry when their school cherry picks another program's commitments, do they?

What the heck are you flapping your gums about. I said a coach will try to fight if there is a chance. But I will assure you that Mick will not come out publicly with the statement that he is trying to get a recruit to renege on a verbal ;that is not how it is done.

07-12-2007 01:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.