07-03-2007 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nick M Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
DonatorsDonators
RE: GSU(both GSU's) fans take on KSU adding football
lengthy conversation, just started skimming and didn't get close but it looks like they're upset when they're further along than we are. We have more gas in the tank but they're still further down the road.
07-03-2007 03:04 PM
Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

i'm glad southern is noticing. they shoulda gone 1a a while ago, but they missed their chance.
07-03-2007 03:18 PM
kr983 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
http://www.mdjonline.com/articles/2007/0...263829.txt

"Sounds like they are very ambitious. If they can raise that much money, KSU would be a major athletic force in the state. Georgia State has to do a lot better than its $300,000 2-month start. "

"And I read those other boards. Even Georgia Southern recognizes the threat KSU poses. KSU is fortunate in having a real campus (although still not large enough) and possibly enthusiastic support by Cobb County. I don't think Fulton County or the City of Atlanta can get all that fired up about another college football team but Cobb can see the value in KSU. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If Georgia State fails and KSU has football, it could tip the balance very much in KSU's favor. "

" also see reaching the D1-A level as a much needed race Georgia State needs to beat Kennesaw in for much of the same reasons.

I just feel like if Kennesaw beats us to the punch we will forever be looked at as 2nd grade behind Kennesaw State."

Georgia State is nervous! lol yes
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2007 04:02 PM by kr983.)
07-03-2007 04:01 PM
Advertisement

Jeremo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Before I transferred to KSU I attended Ga Southern for 3 years. I was on the drumline and went to many football games because of that. I have seen what a football team does for a university. Ga Southern was nothing before football. Now they have more development in Statesboro than ever before. Southern did however miss the time to go 1A and now it seems that their Athletic Director is against a move. Southern's athletics program keep their students and fans in the dark when it comes to plans with in the department. If KSU can get a football team with a solid coach, like Southern did in the 80's(however, I don't think there are any Erk Russels left), be successful, I think we could put a plan in place to go 1A like FAU and FIU did a couple of years ago. However, I hope our administration learns from their mistakes. If we can become the third university in the state to get a program then we beat State and Southern hands down. Also, we can't let our administration think they are too good for some 1A conferences like the SunBelt. Southern's athletic director has publically bashed the SunBelt and he believes that they are too good for such a conference. If KSU started football and has the chance to take a spot in the SunBelt then we need to jump. That conference is the best and most natural stepping stone for any southern school that is wanting to move up. Think A-Sun of 1A conferences.
KSU having the third largest university by population in the state and then adding football would make us legit for the whole state. Money would start flying in. Alumni would take more pride in their school as well as students. Homecoming would be better. School spirit would double instantly. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi and has so much football talent yet we only have two 1A schools. Florida has 6, Alabama has 4, Tennessee has 4...and Georgia has 2...doesn't make sense. Just think if we went 1A then we could name our school Kennesaw University and drop the State...kinda like Troy State University went to Troy University after upgrading to 1A. Just something I have thought about.
07-03-2007 05:31 PM
BlazerDawg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Jeremo Wrote:Before I transferred to KSU I attended Ga Southern for 3 years. I was on the drumline and went to many football games because of that. I have seen what a football team does for a university. Ga Southern was nothing before football. Now they have more development in Statesboro than ever before. Southern did however miss the time to go 1A and now it seems that their Athletic Director is against a move. Southern's athletics program keep their students and fans in the dark when it comes to plans with in the department. If KSU can get a football team with a solid coach, like Southern did in the 80's(however, I don't think there are any Erk Russels left), be successful, I think we could put a plan in place to go 1A like FAU and FIU did a couple of years ago. However, I hope our administration learns from their mistakes. If we can become the third university in the state to get a program then we beat State and Southern hands down. Also, we can't let our administration think they are too good for some 1A conferences like the SunBelt. Southern's athletic director has publically bashed the SunBelt and he believes that they are too good for such a conference. If KSU started football and has the chance to take a spot in the SunBelt then we need to jump. That conference is the best and most natural stepping stone for any southern school that is wanting to move up. Think A-Sun of 1A conferences.
KSU having the third largest university by population in the state and then adding football would make us legit for the whole state. Money would start flying in. Alumni would take more pride in their school as well as students. Homecoming would be better. School spirit would double instantly. Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi and has so much football talent yet we only have two 1A schools. Florida has 6, Alabama has 4, Tennessee has 4...and Georgia has 2...doesn't make sense. Just think if we went 1A then we could name our school Kennesaw University and drop the State...kinda like Troy State University went to Troy University after upgrading to 1A. Just something I have thought about.

Things seem to be bass ackward at Southern right now. They used to be a very self-determined institution, and now it seems like they have some administrators with a bad case of the "I think we can'ts". Personally, I would rather be in I-AA and making championship runs than in the Sunbelt making New Orleans Bowl runs, but I'm only a Southern-in-law; so, I won't beat my chest too much about what I think they should do. If they had moved to I-A a few years ago when they had Paul Johnson making championship runs, the best they would be right now is still the Sunbelt. I guess it's possible they could have gotten into C-USA in the last shakeup, but I doubt it.

I sincerely don't mean this as a slam, but I really don't see KSU reaching above the Sunbelt for any imaginable length of time either. There are just too many schools in the South with football ahead of you with no where to go conference-wise unless a new conference is formed.

There is a chance the Big East could split along football and basketball lines or that it could add some football schools to get to the magic #12 for a championship game, but even if that happens schools like East Carolina and Central Florida and Memphis are going to be pushing hard for those spots. That would result in a few Sunbelt teams leaving for C-USA along with LA Teach from the WAC.

Also not meant as a slam, but in a head to head battle between KSU and Georgia State allowing that the programs were on equal footing, the Georgia State "brand" would be more attractive to colleges than would KSU. That if nothing else should give KSU impetus to get running NOW in I-AA as possibly shut out State from even getting started. Likewise, State needs to get going NOW to keep from getting completely shut out forever from football.

Another interesting issue here is the expectations of each school. KSU could start a I-AA program and be very successful on the I-AA and still be considered a success across the board. I-AA would probably do pretty well in Cobb County. You could probably easily turn out 20,000 a game in your own stadium built to your needs with room to grow. State, on the other hand, would be stuck trying to fill the Dome and would be expected to go head to head with UGA and GT or be considered a let down/failure.

In BlazerDawg's perfect world, KSU starts a I-AA program and joins the Big South Conference along with VSU and UWG moving to I-AA and also joining the Big South to create a wonderful I-AA scene in GA. Of course all three schools getting into the Southern Conference would be sweet too, but the travel to out of conference games against SoCon and Southland teams wouldn't be bad at all.
07-03-2007 10:08 PM
GaStPanthers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Georgia State
Owlzfan84 Wrote:http://www.caazone.com/index.php?option=...ic=65786.0
Georgia State fans

http://www.tscsports.com/tscforum/index....248.0.html
Georgia Southern fans

I found it interesting.

Not really much to say here, you guys are the great "threat" and the great "underdog" right now.

Too Southern we are both considering sleeping giants that could rock their world. To State you are a challenge, and a wake up call.

We'll have to see how things work out.
07-03-2007 11:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
I agree GSP. Not sitting on my metaphor I stated before but you are further down the road already but there seems to be an engine cranking in KSU's garage.
07-03-2007 11:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.