Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Former Bucs pitcher now in the Pros
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Former Bucs pitcher now in the Pros
http://johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php?C...S&ID=59591

Read all about it. Nice article here by Kelly Hodge.

But I guarantee you Rhys Davies will get more attention finishing 91st in the US Open than Hall will during his season in the Appy League here in the local media. And while I understand we are talking about a MAJOR tournament and a MINOR league- we are also talking about the only local professional sports league we have and a person from Gray vs. a person from Wales, or Scotland, or wherever.

And, for that matter, Davies is still officially an amateur.

But how telling is that?

Look, when I was calling the Cardinals games we used to always remark how people around town playing golf would get into the paper but yet the Press would not send a writer to cover a Cardinals game in Kingsport or Bristol- let alone Princeton.

Some slob would get a hole in one and he'd get the front page while we'd have a grand total of ONE feature on the Cardinals for the season.

And I realize now that a lot of that has to do with budgets, but someone in corporate then had better work this out.

But think about this. I listen to WXSM and it's an hour of the hosts telling me what ETSU figure they play golf with.

Not only does nobody care- but they also come off as nothing but shills in an environment where we have this board and people writing letters to the editor coming out of the woodwork with their unhappiness surrounding ETSU.

You have Joe Avento pushing golf on us. It's wonderful the Press has a golf writer- but do they have a baseball writer?

We are supposed to be excited about the exploits of Davies- a guy from out of town with the local tie of ETSU.

When was the last time you heard a former Appalachian League player in the majors- again- not from the area but with that local tie- referenced?

Admittedly the local teams generally don't have PR people pushing that on the media, but there is something called investigation.

In conclusion- I don't hate golf. I enjoy it.

But we are talking about a spectator sport and town teams, be they the Cardinals or ETSU, vs. an individual sport.

But I am being led to HATE golf by how much it corrupts the other sports around here.

Final note. Princeton's PBP announcer is Rich Bogard, who a couple of years ago Pittsburgh Bucs helped get started in the business.
06-16-2007 07:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.