Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Westboro Baptist Church members almost got it.
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
Westboro Baptist Church members almost got it.
Quote:LYNCHBURG, Va. (Associated Press) -- A Liberty University student was arrested after telling a family member he had made bombs and planned to attend the funeral of the Rev. Jerry Falwell, authorities said.

Mark David Uhl, 19, was arrested Monday night on charges of manufacturing an explosive device, Major Steve Hutcherson said. A family member notified authorities.

Officials were still trying to figure out why Uhl made the bombs and what he intended to do with them. "I do not believe it was their intent to disrupt the funeral service," Campbell County Sheriff Terry Gaddy said. "We do not believe the Falwells were ever in any danger."

The funeral proceeded Tuesday at Thomas Road Baptist Church without incident. The church on the campus of the university, which Falwell founded.

Gaddy described the five bombs as "sort of like napalm" and about the size of soda cans.

Investigators determined that Uhl had problems with a group that protested at the funeral, Gaddy said. The group, the Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, sent about a dozen members who claimed Falwell was a friend of gays to protest across the street. The group also has picketed soldiers' burials, claiming the deaths are God's punishment for a nation that harbors gays.

Falwell frequently spoke against homosexuality, and gay rights advocates have consistently opposed him. A group of Liberty University students staged a counterprotest; it wasn't clear whether Uhl was involved.

Jesse Benson, 19, of Zanesville, Ohio, said that he roomed with Uhl this year and that both shared the view that the Westboro group is a "sorry, disgraceful bunch of people," but that he was certain Uhl would never have done anything to harm them.

"He had a very, very deep respect for Jerry Falwell, as do I," Benson said in a telephone interview. "Jerry Falwell would not have approved him harming anybody for any reason. Out of respect for Jerry Falwell, he never would have done anything."

It wasn't known whether Uhl knew the group planned to go to the campus, but it had listed the funeral as an upcoming event published on its Web site.

Benson said Uhl was in Liberty's Army ROTC program and was studying to become an Army chaplain. Gaddy investigators in Fauquier County were interviewing several people who had been in an ROTC program with Uhl, of Amissville, in high school and may have been involved in making the bombs. One is now in the Army, he said.

Gaddy said Campbell County authorities informed the Falwell family and Liberty security personnel of the arrest Monday night, and gave security personnel photos of other possible suspects in case any of them showed up at the funeral.

Uhl was being held without bond in the Campbell County Adult Detention Center. Messages seeking comment were left at numbers believed to belong to the Uhl family but were not returned.
05-22-2007 10:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators
RE: Westboro Baptist Church members almost got it.
Wow, I don't care how nasty these people are, I don't think they should be blowed up.
05-23-2007 06:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows
I was being sarcastic when I suggested Phelps and his motley crue would picket this funeral. I thought they might have some religious solidarity.

Quote:The group, the Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, sent about a dozen members who claimed Falwell was a friend of gays to protest across the street.

03-banghead How ignorant can these people be?!?
05-23-2007 07:44 AM
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators
They don't agree with anybody unless they are in their church.
05-23-2007 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
I wonder how hot it gets in that church?
05-23-2007 09:07 AM
GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:
there is a difference between literally hating gays or other sinners(Westboro) and Falwell who had gay friends(telling them it was immoral and wrong, while still being friends with them). He had a friendship with Mel White for 15 years, add to that Larry Flynt.

I'm guessing many who followed Falwell through the media and soundbites find it hard to beleive the Westboro group were at odds with him.
05-23-2007 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.