SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Homophobiowned
04-13-2007 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

lmfao I saw that the other night. Of course, its all just liberal twisting of the truth.
04-13-2007 07:18 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Re: Homophobiowned
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:http://homophobelol.ytmnd.com/

I'm always comforted by things like this, b/c if this is the best criticism anyone can muster, then my beliefs are pretty secure.

Let's take a look at the differences here, since the script writers used their bully pulpit to take a position instead of presenting the other side of the debate that has been offered for years:

1. The slavery thing is NOT a command. Nowhere is the Bible ordering people to sell their children into slavery.

2. The slavery laws are restrictions on a practice that was alread going on. Again, it isn't an imperative to sell people into slavery, rather it's restrictions on how slavery should be performed...making it far more "humane" and less brutal. Ironically, it is the Bible itself that provided the influence and guidance that led to the abolishment of slavery...so these very people who are railing against the Bible's commands on one issue are citing its direction on another. Not a very sound or consistent position.

3. Slavery was different than what the US did up through the 19th C. So the use of the term here is really for emotion rather than facts. The facts are people only sold children in times when they couldn't care for or protect them. The character in this drama had no compelling reason to sell his daughter, so of course everyone found it reprehensible. His attempt to use the Bible to justify his actions is completely backwards. As I said above, the Bible provided guidance to end slavery...so does this guy like the Bible or not?

GTS, if you were as logical in your philosophy as you are in your programming, you would have seen through this mirage.
04-13-2007 07:55 AM
Advertisement

GGniner Offline
All American

I Root For:

There is a movie out now about William Wilberforce and his Christian based move to end the slave trade. 'Amazing Grace', haven't seen it yet but trailer looks good. watch preview of it here:
http://hotair.com/archives/2007/03/29/am.../#comments

a friend is taking a class on islam, he told me the other day that alot of black americans are converting to islam because they are being told that christianity is what brought slavery about, when in fact its behind what ended it. islam basically is slavery and complete submission, especially for women and dhimmi's.

America still has a form of slavery, its found in government policy and programs that suppress the individual in favor of the 'collective'. An extreme example that is close by is Cuba, basically just one big plantation.
04-13-2007 08:42 AM
dwr0109 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning

whats your take on the rest of his argument? touching a dead pigskin, clothes made from two types of cloth, planting 2 types of crops side by side etc. etc.?
04-13-2007 05:02 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

dwr0109 Wrote:whats your take on the rest of his argument? touching a dead pigskin, clothes made from two types of cloth, planting 2 types of crops side by side etc. etc.?

Good questions (I turned off the rant after the mention of slavery in Exodus...sorry I didn't listen to all of it my patience wears thin).

It wasn't just a dead pigskin, it was any dead carcass.

The cloth- well that's obviously a fashion faux pas

Seriously, I have presented those latter two questions to Christian ethicists who argue against generating new organs from mature stem cells simply b/c it's new or different. Where's the outrage at mixed fabrics or hybrid fruits like nectarines?

One answer is that Christians are under a new covenant...understanding that OT laws may have served different purposes (avoiding offenses to God, protecting Israelites from sickness/disease, allowing for and guiding people in situations that aren't desired by God in any circumstances (i.e. divorce, slavery, concubines))...whereas you can look to the NT and see sins explicitly mentioned, and read clear guidance on avoiding sexual sins including homosexuality. That didn't get mentioned in this dialogue did it?

Anyway, that's a short answer, one that deserves more study and more rigor, to be fair.
04-14-2007 01:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.