Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama is "Magical"
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Obama is "Magical"
I couldn't make this up.... Boy the LA times is catching it... But I'm writing a song about Obama... to the tune of "Puff the Magic Dragon"

Obama the Magic Negro
Lives in DC
Plotting the ruin of the nation,
With the help of Hillary....

Obama the 'Magic Negro'
The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.

By David Ehrenstein, L.A.-based DAVID EHRENSTEIN writes about Hollywood and politics.
March 19, 2007

AS EVERY CARBON-BASED life form on this planet surely knows, Barack Obama, the junior Democratic senator from Illinois, is running for president. Since making his announcement, there has been no end of commentary about him in all quarters
03-21-2007 08:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

Dumb Article.

Why can't his positions be dealt with on their merits like other candidates?

It appears that he is like a blank canvas that society wants to use to project our national insecurities about race, both good and bad. I'm sure he gets tired of having his very existence always having to represent some huge cultural phenomenon regarding our feelings about race, but then again I'm sure he's been dealing with it his whole life.

I don't care what color he is, I just want to know what his positions are on foreign policy issues, what his proposal is on healthcare, etc, and that he is honest.

Most importantly, he is not Hillary Clinton.
03-21-2007 12:50 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

There are plenty of us "Magic Negroes" running around. We are articulate, well educated and just want the same thing as other good honest Americans.

That article was stupid. WMD thanks for proving to us that not all Rice grads are geniuses.
03-21-2007 03:30 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl

uhmump95 Wrote:There are plenty of us "Magic Negroes" running around. We are articulate, well educated and just want the same thing as other good honest Americans.

That article was stupid. WMD thanks for proving to us that not all Rice grads are geniuses.

That "stupid" article came from the LA Times.... one of the most liberal newspapers in the nation. The author of the story is an African American. Did you read the article and see that? You call it stupid...It was his opinion.. and frankly I'm shocked they printed it. Blame them not me.

It's obvious that the LA Times is in Hillary's camp. They ran this hit piece.

In my opinion Obama is another George McGovern. Again. the Democrats will follow this "Magical" Pied Piper to political ruin. This guy is "Magical" because he says NOTHING yet the media treats him as if he can walk on water and that his statements are Infallibly correct --even though they convey no substance and offer NO SOLUTIONS except provide a sound bite to the liberal Democratic base.

I will support an African American candidate. I'd vote for JC Watts in a second. But UH, do you consider him an African American.. or an "Uncle Tom"??? JC is articulate, well educated and just want the same thing as other good honest Americans......

Yes, I am Conservative. Notice I didn't say Republican. I cannot agree with any of the present Repubican Candidates with the exception of MOST of the positions of Congressman Ron Paul.

I'm for a REAL border barricade, including military positions if necessary. I think the only good thing coming out of the Iraq War is the disposition of Saddam and the fact that Iraq provides close bases to hit a TRUE enemy of the US, the Ayatollahs of the Shia Islamic Republic of Iran. We have been indirectly at war with Iran through their proxies since 1979. They have kidnapped our Diplomats in Iran and Lebanon, provided logistical and economic aid/ comfort to terrorist groups that killed over 200 Marines in Beirut in 1983 and blew up our Embassies in that country. The Iranian Ayatollahs have an Armageddon fantasy of the
03-22-2007 12:20 AM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

WMD Owl Wrote:I will support an African American candidate. I'd vote for JC Watts in a second. But UH, do you consider him an African American.. or an "Uncle Tom"??? JC is articulate, well educated and just want the same thing as other good honest Americans......

If thats the case, and I don't doubt that it is...

Why post the article? The article asserts that white people are supporting Obama out of guilt or the desire to be saved by a "palatable" black person.

Why does this analysis apply to liberals who like Obama but not to conservatives like you who support JC Watts?

If you have problems with Obama, argue against his positions on their merits. I'm sure if I wrote or posted an article about JC Watts suggesting that conservative whites only supported him because he was a "magical negro", I'm pretty sure I'd take some criticism from you for it, and rightly so.
03-22-2007 12:41 AM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

"My" opinion OU? Because it's actually liberals that are the racists. Yes, there are conservative racists, but we're not the ones that think they can't get by without help. We're not the ones lowering standards and installing an Affirmative Action policy which is, essentially, a quota system. J.C. Watts is more in line with my line of thinking than any of the front-runners on the RNC ticket, and I'd vote for him over Rudy, Mitt, and John.

This is, however, my opinion and I'm stickin' wit it.
03-22-2007 12:48 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

...and dude, go buy a Fajita grill so Woot can move off this damn thing.
03-22-2007 12:49 AM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl

OUGwave Wrote:
WMD Owl Wrote:I will support an African American candidate. I'd vote for JC Watts in a second. But UH, do you consider him an African American.. or an "Uncle Tom"??? JC is articulate, well educated and just want the same thing as other good honest Americans......

Why post the article? The article asserts that white people are supporting Obama out of guilt or the desire to be saved by a "palatable" black person.

Why does this analysis apply to liberals who like Obama but not to conservatives like you who support JC Watts?

If you have problems with Obama, argue against his positions on their merits. I'm sure if I wrote or posted an article about JC Watts suggesting that conservative whites only supported him because he was a "magical negro", I'm pretty sure I'd take some criticism from you for it, and rightly so.

I'd gladly argue about Obama's positions if he ever said anything concrete. He says what he would do in general terms but is real short on specifics and details. Typical poltician. But if you watch CNN it seems that anyone that questions the guy is declared a racist. You try to nail this guy down and you are accused on "picking on the black guy" You ask the same questions to someone like Biden, and you are "asking tough questions".....

Double standard? YES

So why does Obama get a pass??? He doesn't deserve one. Nobody else gets a pass. So why is he getting one?

If you posted an article about JC Watts being magical.. I wouldn't give you grief. I'd laugh. The media has never given Watts a pass on anything. Sharpton called him an Uncle Tom on Hardball.

I'm well aware of the Double Standard
03-22-2007 12:58 AM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

WMD Owl Wrote:
OUGwave Wrote:

I'd gladly argue about Obama's positions if he ever said anything concrete. He says what he would do in general terms but is real short on specifics and details. Typical poltician. But if you watch CNN it seems that anyone that questions the guy is declared a racist. You try to nail this guy down and you are accused on "picking on the black guy" You ask the same questions to someone like Biden, and you are "asking tough questions".....

Double standard? YES

So why does Obama get a pass??? He doesn't deserve one. Nobody else gets a pass. So why is he getting one?

If you posted an article about JC Watts being magical.. I wouldn't give you grief. I'd laugh. The media has never given Watts a pass on anything. Sharpton called him an Uncle Tom on Hardball.

I'm well aware of the Double Standard

Obama's views are widely available, both on his website and in his recent book.

The assertion you make by posting the article was that Obama's support comes from the wrong reasons.

As a white Obama supporter, I'll just say thats blatantly false. I like his positions on issues, and particularly his positions on Iraq, education, and healthcare. Not just his positions but the way he frames them... he is persuasive in his logic -- maybe not to you or other died-in-the-wool conservatives, but to many moderate voters, his reasoning on issues will give many people a fresh look at them in a way that Hillary cannot.

But the reason I isolated the Watts statement is because someone could very easily make the same comments about whites who support Watts -- that they would sub-consciously support him for "feel good reasons"... So if you can see past Watts' race and truly judge him as a candidate on the issues, why is it preposterous that the excitement about Obama among people like myself is not also about issues in the same light?

I'm sure you see that connection, and thus understand why the article is a silly exercise in academic masturbation on the part of the writer.

You clearly don't like Obama, I get it. I'm not going to change your mind on that. But that doesn't make the article's point a logical or fair one. If you concede that voters can look at Watts for his merits, you surely must agree that voters can do the same for Obama, if you're being honest.
03-22-2007 01:52 AM
Advertisement

OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

RebelKev Wrote:...and dude, go buy a Fajita grill so Woot can move off this damn thing.

Man, I barely have counter-space for a Foreman grill -- and without that, I'd simply go malnourished.
03-22-2007 01:54 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

OUGwave Wrote:
RebelKev Wrote:...and dude, go buy a Fajita grill so Woot can move off this damn thing.

Man, I barely have counter-space for a Foreman grill -- and without that, I'd simply go malnourished.

It finally sold out. Now I think you need a refurbished iRiver Clix 2GB Media Player for 89 bucks. ;-)

I'm hoping they'll have a Tom Tom for 150 bucks here pretty soon. A Woot Off is rare.
03-22-2007 01:57 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

WMD Owl Wrote:The author of the story is an African American. Did you read the article and see that?
It is a shame that the article was written by an African American. But if you have ever seen the "crab mentallity" of some African Americans you may get a glimpse of why it was written

WMD Owl Wrote:In my opinion Obama is another George McGovern. Again. the Democrats will follow this "Magical" Pied Piper to political ruin. This guy is "Magical" because he says NOTHING yet the media treats him as if he can walk on water and that his statements are Infallibly correct --even though they convey no substance and offer NO SOLUTIONS except provide a sound bite to the liberal Democratic base.
WMD that is what all politicians do. Why should Obama be called a "magical negro" for playing the same game as white people? IMO it is time that black people had politicians representing their issues in government, and not just activists.

WMD Owl Wrote:'d vote for JC Watts in a second. But UH, do you consider him an African American.. or an "Uncle Tom"??? JC is articulate, well educated and just want the same thing as other good honest Americans......
Don't know who he is. I will do a search and see if his views are aligned with mine.

WMD Owl Wrote:And guess what UHmump... you post just validated why your school is called "Cougar High"... Don't you have some pizzas to deliver? And if you save your tip money, I'm sure you can run over to Scott St. and score some "rock" and come up with another "articulate" post...
No I don't have any pizzas to deliver.
Now am I running over to Scott St. to score "rock" because I am black or because I am a UH grad? While both would be pathetic excuses I am hoping that you are taking a jibe at my school and not my race.
03-22-2007 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.