Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

By my count we have given up 60% of our Bill of Rights.
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
By my count we have given up 60% of our Bill of Rights.
http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/fact...illeng.htm

The Conventions of a number of the States having, at the time of adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added, and as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution;

Resolved, by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two-thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States; all or any of which articles, when ratified by three-fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the said Constitution, namely:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Although some will disagree, I think Bushies have kept this one.

Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

NRA enough said

Amendment III
No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Thank God none of us have to quarter a British Soldier

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

We gave up this one in the Patriot Act. and the tapping of our phone calls and the reading of our credit card statements

Amendment V
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Jose Padilla..... we gave away this one too

Amendment VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Jose Padilla's unalienable right

Amendment VII
In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

See Jose Padilla

Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

See Padilla and many others we will never know

Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Yeah we lost this one too

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
03-19-2007 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

what do you mean by "the tapping of our phone calls?" has your phone ever been tapped? have your credit card statements ever been investigated? Please don't use words like 'our' or 'we.' I invite the gov't to tap my cell, i could care less. They aren't gonna hear anything interesting. they can review my credit card bill too. Guess what, i get the feeling the gov't will never do either of those things to me or you.
03-19-2007 04:53 PM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU

Just remember when those Bill of Rights were signed into law we had 4 million citizens in bondage and did not allow a majority of the population the right to vote.
I think our country is far better off today then when the Bill of Rights was signed, so I dont see the decline in rights that you seem to want to declare 01-wingedeagle
03-19-2007 05:00 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

This might have been interesting if you had done some actual research. But, that requires actual work...
03-19-2007 05:17 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I heard Bill Mahr talk about it and they have tapped our phones, looked at libary books, and have had a computer run through all of our credit card statements for abnormalities. This is true.
03-19-2007 05:24 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Mach,

Citing information given from Bill Mahr will win you no points with me. I hate that bastard and I am a moderate. It must be nice to get paid millions of dollars to say "Bush is an idiot". If Bill Mahr got ran over by atruck , I would vote to have said truck made into a national monument.
03-19-2007 05:29 PM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

O.K. you hate the guy.................. but is he right??????
03-19-2007 05:33 PM
ccs178 Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

Machiavelli Wrote:O.K. you hate the guy.................. but is he right??????

Nope. He's an ass.
03-19-2007 06:29 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

flyingswoosh Wrote:what do you mean by "the tapping of our phone calls?" has your phone ever been tapped? have your credit card statements ever been investigated? Please don't use words like 'our' or 'we.' I invite the gov't to tap my cell, i could care less. They aren't gonna hear anything interesting. they can review my credit card bill too. Guess what, i get the feeling the gov't will never do either of those things to me or you.

That is fine, but eventually they will get to something that you care about. At that point you may have wished you stopped the government from taking away your inalienable rights at an earlier stage before it came down to what YOU cared about...

As I've stated in the past, I have nothing to hide. They can go through every record ever created about me and will find nothing of any importantce... I do worry about what right they will go after next, however, as once a right goes away you never get it back. Instead the government goes to your next right and tries to take it away.
03-19-2007 06:41 PM
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:

flyingswoosh Wrote:what do you mean by "the tapping of our phone calls?" has your phone ever been tapped? have your credit card statements ever been investigated? Please don't use words like 'our' or 'we.' I invite the gov't to tap my cell, i could care less. They aren't gonna hear anything interesting. they can review my credit card bill too. Guess what, i get the feeling the gov't will never do either of those things to me or you.

this is quite possibly one of the stupidest things i have ever read in my short life. in fact, the logic used is so rediculous im not even sure how to respond.
03-19-2007 07:36 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

mlb Wrote:

That is fine, but eventually they will get to something that you care about. At that point you may have wished you stopped the government from taking away your inalienable rights at an earlier stage before it came down to what YOU cared about...

As I've stated in the past, I have nothing to hide. They can go through every record ever created about me and will find nothing of any importantce... I do worry about what right they will go after next, however, as once a right goes away you never get it back. Instead the government goes to your next right and tries to take it away.

no they won't. as long as they don't wake me up when i'm trying to sleep, i'll be cool. Hell, they could put a camera in my room and have an agent shadow everywhere i go and i wouldn't care. i don't complain about things.
03-19-2007 07:53 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

niuhuskie84 Wrote:

this is quite possibly one of the stupidest things i have ever read in my short life. in fact, the logic used is so rediculous im not even sure how to respond.

i'm not using any logic. I'm simply stating that i wouldn't mind the gov't doing that stuff to me. believe me, there's no logic in that post.
03-19-2007 07:54 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Oh, ffs Dogger. 01-wingedeagle
03-19-2007 07:57 PM
Quote this message in a reply
niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:

flyingswoosh Wrote:
niuhuskie84 Wrote:

i'm not using any logic. I'm simply stating that i wouldn't mind the gov't doing that stuff to me. believe me, there's no logic in that post.

you just because YOU dont mind the government tapping phone calls without warrants dosent make it right.
03-19-2007 08:20 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

niuhuskie84 Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:
niuhuskie84 Wrote:

you just because YOU dont mind the government tapping phone calls without warrants dosent make it right.

dude, i can't understand you. BTW, i never said it made it right, i just stated how i felt about it. why do you have to get so confrontational? as young buck would say, "slow ya roll."
03-19-2007 08:32 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

Why is everything so overly dramatic with you Mach? 03-melodramatic 03-melodramatic 03-melodramatic

It can never be a simple conversation. It is always some over the top world domination thing in every thread. Take your ridalin and relax a little.
03-19-2007 10:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

flyingswoosh Wrote:
mlb Wrote:

no they won't. as long as they don't wake me up when i'm trying to sleep, i'll be cool. Hell, they could put a camera in my room and have an agent shadow everywhere i go and i wouldn't care. i don't complain about things.

Ok, well, clearly you don't understand the concept of a "right"...

... you might really like North Korea, where they will have agents shadow you everywhere you go. And you'll get your wish -- you won't get the chance to ever complain.
03-20-2007 12:26 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

OUGwave Wrote:... you might really like North Korea, where they will have agents shadow you everywhere you go. And you'll get your wish -- you won't get the chance to ever complain.

...and that's what Dogger is comparing us to. 01-wingedeagle
03-20-2007 12:44 AM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:

RebelKev Wrote:
OUGwave Wrote:... you might really like North Korea, where they will have agents shadow you everywhere you go. And you'll get your wish -- you won't get the chance to ever complain.

...and that's what Dogger is comparing us to. 01-wingedeagle

I don't think thats what he's saying, I think he's saying that we're starting to set some dangerous legal precedents for the erosion of rights.

Fortunately, the Supreme Court has upheld Padilla's and Hamdi's rights.
03-20-2007 12:46 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

OUGwave Wrote:I don't think thats what he's saying, I think he's saying that we're starting to set some dangerous legal precedents for the erosion of rights.

Fortunately, the Supreme Court has upheld Padilla's and Hamdi's rights.

Um, no. He's saying we've lost 60% of our rights. He did not say, "If we don't do something, we're going to lose them", he said, "By my count we have given up 60% of our Bill of Rights.". One's definitive, the other's suggestive. He made a definitive statement.
03-20-2007 12:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.