Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More anecdotal evidence
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
More anecdotal evidence
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/200610...o_blizzard

Here's an additional point. I haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth" but a good friend did, and he said that the movie states that receding glaciers, and loss of ice, worsens "global warming" because of less reflective surfaces.

I was interested in this point, b/c I made the same point in the opposite direction when the Great Lakes froze over a few years back (first time in 15 years or some such).

Ok, now we have snow, 3 weeks early. Not only are temps colder, but this is more highly reflective snow covering the surface, reflecting solar radiation back into space, at a time when more sun is shining on the ground.

What's this going to do w/ the global warming balance?

In short, these things are not well accounted for in models, so the conclusions from those models are overstated, or even flawed. In other words, "junk science".
10-27-2006 10:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

Ice Charts.

Only up to 2002. I'm still looking for anything after that. Hopefully, I'll be right back with that.

This may be easier to see overall averages. Still only to 2002.

Quote:In short, these things are not well accounted for in models, so the conclusions from those models are overstated, or even flawed. In other words, "junk science".

This interests me. How would you change how they account for this? Can you show a specific example of climate scientists intentionally ignoring this? Or maybe a study of how much energy is lost due to snow cover?[/url]
10-27-2006 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

Link to 2003

2003 Ice NASA

2005 WGN weather

2006 conditions (hard to navigate)

2006 (nice animations)

So 2003 is the year that you were talking about. Certainly the data I can find shows it to be an over the top year, but it appears to go back to "normal conditions after that.
10-27-2006 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

10-27-2006 12:58 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

[quote="Bourgeois_Rage"]Quick run down on how snow and ice is used to estimate reflectivity.

Thanks.
[quote]Increases in sea levels and temperatures are not the only possible outcomes. When ice and snow melt, they generally expose a much darker underlying surface. Dark surfaces absorb more heat (have a lower albedo) than light surfaces. This suggests the possibility that a small amount of melting could lead to a warmer surface, which could melt more ice, warming the surface still further
10-27-2006 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.