Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Standing on principle
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Standing on principle
Do you support him? He's got some valid points.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12454358/
04-25-2006 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Endzone2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Miami Redhawks

"We need to build a memorial for these people," said Rep. William Shuster (R-Pa.), whose district includes Shanksville. "These 40 people were the first counterattack of the war on terror, and they were victorious. We owe them a great debt of gratitude."

They were victorious? Oh, I guess he means the plane didn't go the whitehouse where he and all his buddies hang out. The 40 people on the plane lost their lives and in that sense they were not victorious.

My only guess is that they could not kick in the door to the cockpit. They make sure you don't have anything to work with when you get on an airplane--except box cutters.

Personally I think memorials are stupid. In a hundred years who is going to care? These people individually either went to be with Jesus or they are going to spend eternity in a place of torment. That is all that matters. What are the positive things about a memorial?

It's like having to hear about the Marshall plane crash every year. What good does that do the people who died on the plane or their families? I just would like to know.
04-25-2006 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
Re: Standing on principle
DrTorch Wrote:Do you support him? He's got some valid points.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12454358/

Well, I imagine that in politics that you have to choose your battles, and I don't think this is a wise choice. Personally, I don't agree with his principle as an absolute - I do support govt. ownership of land. I don't think this crusade will help him gain converts, either - I'd expect it will alienate people who'd otherwise support him. In the end, I think he'd have been better off judiciously scheduling vacation time or a junket when this came to a vote.
04-25-2006 11:43 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

I am not against a memorial BUT the $60 million and I believe 1600 acres seems a bit much. Can't there be a smaller, cheaper memorial? Have a small building close to the nearest road and maybe give a tour to the site(buy a right of way plus part of the crash site)?
04-25-2006 12:14 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

RobertN Wrote:I am not against a memorial BUT the $60 million and I believe 1600 acres seems a bit much. Can't there be a smaller, cheaper memorial? Have a small building close to the nearest road and maybe give a tour to the site(buy a right of way plus part of the crash site)?

That seems like a fair compromise. I wonder if he's angling for something like that. $60M is pretty big dollars.
04-25-2006 12:23 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

It sounds like a waste of money to me. Think about it. So the govt will buy some land, then the govt will have to pay someone for upkeep on said land (govt employee of course) forever. How many people a year will visit the land?
04-25-2006 12:27 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies

GrayBeard Wrote:It sounds like a waste of money to me. Think about it. So the govt will buy some land, then the govt will have to pay someone for upkeep on said land (govt employee of course) forever. How many people a year will visit the land?

They will make it back with the souvenier/refreshments shop. [Image: rolleyes.gif]
04-25-2006 12:38 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies

I think a small monument would be fitting...something with their names and a brief description of what they managed to do in the face of terrorism.

Much beyond that is overkill, IMO.
04-25-2006 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.