Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hamas Election win...what happens now?
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
Hamas Election win...what happens now?
I'm surprised anyone was shocked by Hamas winning the parliment in the Palestinian election. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

If I'm Israel right now I'm very skeptical that any type of peace talks can go forward at this point. Pretty soon this may be one nation at war with another one, and only seperated by a few miles. Scary thought. 04-jawdrop
01-27-2006 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

I heard this morning that no one was more shocked by the win than Hamas itself. They weren't expecting to get the majority so their strategy has to change. They only wanted to be the minority so they could keep Fatah in check.
01-27-2006 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

There never has been and never will be "peace" in the Middle East. When it looks like there will be, watch out, because things will be getting ugly shortly thereafter.
01-27-2006 10:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte

Right there with you blah.

Hamas is very well financed by Iran and Syria, which means that Palestine can now be run as a satellite state like Afghanistan was for so long under the Taliban. With the nuke crisis heating up with Iran don't be surprised to see Israel attack Iran in a preemptive action. Iran will never get nukes simply because Israel will bomb them to prevent it.

Scarey stuff.
01-27-2006 11:05 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl

I don't think Israel can bomb Iran to prevent them from getting nukes. The lesson from Iraq has been learned by both Iran and N. Korea. You have to assume MAD applies (which is a bit more scary than in the past because the Iranian leadership is nuts, even granting that their president doesn't have a lot of power).

The precedent at play is the "massacre" of Jenin, and whether it can be repeated in Gaza. If the Israelis successfully suppress hostile action coming from Gaza (which I assume will come), how will the Palestinian electorate respond over 2-3 election cycles?

I believe that Sharon knew this to be inevitable whether Israel withdrew from Gaza or not, but the withdrawal positions Israel to respond as it would to another hostile state.

All that said, I think you overestimate how much Hamas is beholden to Syria/Iran. Hezbollah is their client, and I think pretty well acts to their bidding, but Hamas is more autonomous, and I think their funding is more diverse.
01-27-2006 11:52 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU

One thing is for sure and that is the United States is not going to fund a known terrorist organization such as Hammas. We give the Palestenians around $225mil per year. Yasser Arafat had mansions all over the world by the way courtesy of the American tax payer.
With Hammas in control Congress will be under huge pressure to not send that money. Sad part is the average Palestenian who is dirt poor will pay the price. You get what you voted for I guess.
01-27-2006 04:34 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Quote:Hamas Election win...what happens now?

you get the hell out of there if you are Jewish.
01-28-2006 10:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.