Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another view on Iraq
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

<a href='http://www.zwire.com/site/tab5.cfm?newsid=12334731&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=511693&rfi=6' target='_blank'>Reston Times article</a>

Another view of war in Iraq
By Lise Hausrath Simmons
07/13/2004

Two young linguists who work for a Reston government contractor as Arabic language translators and recently returned from assignments in Iraq say most Iraqis are supportive of U.S. efforts to create a new society there. They also believe that U.S. soldiers are not getting the credit from the media that they deserve.

In a recent interview with The Reston Times, Jasmine El-Gamal, 23, and Mlyard Alzayat, 21, said the media's reporting on the Iraqi war has been biased, because people are not hearing about all the good things U.S. soldiers are doing there.

This skewed coverage, they said, motivated them to speak out—despite the criticism it might arouse from those opposed to the war, including some members of the area's Muslim community.

They said they did not necessarily have an opinion on whether the war was justified, only reflections on what they have witnessed since it began.

El-Gamal and Alzayat are both employees of SOS International, a six-year-old, Reston-based government contractor that sends translators to trouble spots in the War on Terrorism, including Iraq, Afghanistan and Cuba's Guantanamo Bay.

They emphasized, however, that they were not speaking for their company but rather as two U.S. residents who have seen firsthand what was happening overseas.

El-Gamal, a U.S. citizen, is a new Reston resident, having moved here about six months ago. While she was born in the United States, her parents, who live in New York now, are from Alexandria, Egypt.

Alzayat, who lives in McLean with his family, was born in Saudi Arabia and attended school there, but he considers himself Syrian because that is where his parents are from. He is in the process of getting his U.S. citizenship.

Alzayat came to the United States in 1999 and is currently studying information systems technology at Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale.

El-Gamal was in Iraq when the war started in March 2003 and worked there for the U.S. Army until last November. She was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, working with a civil affairs unit, she said.

Alzayat was on assignment in Iraq from April 2003 until early this year, working with the 1st Marine Division Expeditionary Force on counterintelligence matters, he said.

Prior to working in Iraq, they worked in Kuwait and Qatar for a while.

"I feel that the media is completely twisting what's happening over there" in Iraq, El-Gamal said. No one is bothering to report on "the good stuff" the military is doing there, she said.

She cited different facts to bolster her view, saying school attendance in Iraq is up 80 percent, 2,300 schools have been renovated, all hospitals in the country are now functional, immunizations are up and power generation has increased slightly since the war began.

These statistics are "not on CNN, not on the BBC, not on Fox News," El-Gamal said. "I don't feel U.S. soldiers are getting the credit they deserve."

For example, during Ramadan, a holy time for Muslims, U.S. soldiers she observed were respectful of the Iraqis, even refraining from drinking water in public despite the blistering heat. "[T]hey followed those rules. They greatly respected that culture," she said.

Citing another example, she said the soldiers she worked with would "spend hours" trying to work with people in the Iraqi schools to gauge and satisfy their needs. "Their attitude was amazing," El-Gamal said.

She also claimed that the Iraqi people, by and large, are happy that the Americans came in.

"They were so happy that we were there," she said, adding that many people would say to her and the military officers with whom she worked, "Thank you so much for coming to save us.
07-17-2004 04:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bob Saccomano Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Nice find, Dr. Torch. I'm sure myopic liberals will try their best to ignore this or somehow spin it off as insignificant, but the facts are out there if you take your head out of Richard Clarke's book or poke your head out of the latest screening of "Fahrenheit 911".
07-17-2004 04:13 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

BearcatCarl Wrote:Nice find, Dr. Torch. I'm sure myopic liberals will try their best to ignore this or somehow spin it off as insignificant, but the facts are out there if you take your head out of Richard Clarke's book or poke your head out of the latest screening of "Fahrenheit 911".
I don't doubt that the media has spent more time on the bad stuff - bombings and death always get more time in the news than restoring water service and building schools.

But don't play this like dems have a credibility issue. To use your own example, Dems are reading and listening to the opinion and experiences of a former administration insider, while pubs are using quoted government contractors. Why not quote Cheney? :rolleyes:
07-17-2004 10:34 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

HuskieDan Wrote:
BearcatCarl Wrote:Nice find, Dr. Torch.&nbsp; I'm sure myopic liberals will try their best to ignore this or somehow spin it off as insignificant, but the facts are out there if you take your head out of Richard Clarke's book or poke your head out of the latest screening of "Fahrenheit 911".
I don't doubt that the media has spent more time on the bad stuff - bombings and death always get more time in the news than restoring water service and building schools.

But don't play this like dems have a credibility issue. To use your own example, Dems are reading and listening to the opinion and experiences of a former administration insider, while pubs are using quoted government contractors. Why not quote Cheney? :rolleyes:
Who, Richard Clark? Uhhh, Shall I BRING up quotes by him that work to the detriment of the Democrats? No bother. You guys don't deal in reality anyway. I see that with "Flip-Flopping" Kerry. He approved it, then he didn't. THEN he said he was mislead. Sit down John. You received the SAME information that Bush did. The ONLY difference is that you are running for President. You stated he was a threat in '98. What's changed you POS?
07-18-2004 07:18 AM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.