Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Economy Set for Best Growth in 20 Years
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

[Image: ECONOMIC_OUTLOOK.sff_NYET253_20040706153320.jpg]
WASHINGTON (AP) - The economy appears headed for a banner year despite a springtime spike in energy prices and a recent increase in interest rates.

In fact, many analysts are forecasting that the overall economy, as measured by the gross domestic product, will grow by 4.6 percent or better this year, the fastest in two decades.

There were strong 4.5 percent growth rates in 1997 and 1999, when Bill Clinton was president and the country was in the midst of a record 10-year expansion.

But if this year's growth ends up a bit faster than that, it will be the best since the economy roared ahead at a 7.2 percent rate in 1984, a year when another Republican president - Ronald Reagan - was running for re-election.

"We are moving into a sweet spot for the economy with interest rates not too high, jobs coming back and business investment providing strength," said Diane Swonk, chief economist at Bank One in Chicago, who is predicting GDP growth of 4.8 percent this year.

President Bush is highlighting the improving economy at every opportunity while Democratic challenger John Kerry has focused on what he calls a middle class squeeze of rising health and tuition costs and laid-off workers forced to take lower-paying jobs.

Who will win on the all-important pocketbook issues? Economists aren't sure.

"It is unclear whether voters will remember the past year and the better jobs created during that period or the past four years," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Economy.com. "It will be a close call and that is one of the reasons the election could be so close."

Assessing the economy at midyear, most private economists are sticking with the optimistic forecasts they had six months ago, even though inflation, driven by surging energy prices, rose higher than expected and the Federal Reserve started raising interest rates last month.

"We are looking for a darn good year despite the fact that we had a big jump in oil prices and interest rates are going up faster than people thought would occur," said David Wyss, chief economist at Standard & Poor's in New York.

Offsetting those drags on the economy has been stronger growth in Japan and China, which helps U.S. exports, better-than-expected consumer spending and much better job growth than analysts were expecting as the year began.

The economy has now created 1.5 million new jobs since last August, compared with a loss of 2.7 million jobs in the previous 29 months, when the country was struggling with a string of blows from a collapsing stock market to a recession and terrorist attacks.

Even with the 10 months of consecutive job gains, Bush is still facing a 1.2 million jobs deficit, from the last peak for employment in March 2001.

However, many analysts anticipate the economy will generate around 200,000 jobs per month over the next six months, a pace that would be enough to erase his deficit figure by the end of the year. That would enable him to escape being the only president since Herbert Hoover in the Great Depression to have lost jobs while in office.

Although the economy created only 112,000 jobs in June, after averaging 304,000 jobs for the previous three months, analysts expect strong job growth the rest of this year.

They predict the unemployment rate - stuck at 5.6 percent for most of this year - will improve gradually, to 5.3 percent by December, as a strengthening job market draws people back into the labor force.

Analysts also are optimistic about inflation in the months ahead, noting that oil prices recently retreated from peaks above $42 per barrel in June, and regular gasoline have declined from highs over $2 a gallon in late May. If the trend continues, inflation pressures will be eased.

The Bond Market Association's economic advisory committee, made up of economists from large financial institutions, is predicting that consumer prices will rise 3.1 percent for all of this year, a significant moderation from the 5.1 percent rate of increase through May.

The group projects overall GDP growth will be at a 20-year high of 4.7 percent, based in part on a belief that the Fed will keep to its pledge of moderation in future rate hikes because of the absence of inflation pressures.

Spin it Liberals
07-06-2004 05:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1125 Offline
Heisman

<a href='http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040706/D83LFTV00.html' target='_blank'>http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040706/D.../D83LFTV00.html</a>
07-06-2004 05:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1125 Offline
Heisman

This is good news and no one cares?
07-06-2004 07:10 PM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:This is good news and no one cares?
It's one set of numbers. It's not the whole picture.

I live in Ohio, and the picture looks pretty bad here. Every week, another big manufacturer announces a huge set of layoffs. Those jobs tend to pay better than the others, so its a huge deal to lose them.

This, today, is just the latest:

<a href='http://www.cleveland.com/newsflash/cleveland/index.ssf?/base/business-2/1089136152243550.xml' target='_blank'>http://www.cleveland.com/newsflash/clevela...36152243550.xml</a>

A lot of the growth has been in services -- not manufacturing jobs, which continue to disappear -- and even the service sector is slowing according to this report out today:

<a href='http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=5599260' target='_blank'>http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle....storyID=5599260</a>
07-06-2004 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RandyMc Offline
Reverend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Well, you asked for it........the Ohio Report. Do not go there, the jobs suck.

You know, a rising tide raises all boats? Well Ohio evidently has a leak.
07-06-2004 10:08 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

RandyMc Wrote:
Well, you asked for it........the Ohio Report. Do not go there, the jobs suck.

You know, a rising tide raises all boats? Well Ohio evidently has a leak.
:roflol:
07-06-2004 10:14 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

RandyMc Wrote:You know, a rising tide raises all boats? Well Ohio evidently has a leak.
It's been ruled by Republicans for ten years. Every statewide office, both houses of the legislature.
07-06-2004 10:25 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Schadenfreude Wrote:
RandyMc Wrote:You know, a rising tide raises all boats?&nbsp; Well Ohio evidently has a leak.
It's been ruled by Republicans for ten years. Every statewide office, both houses of the legislature.
Taft gives Republicans a bad name.

Didn't Teddy R. have a similar problem 100 years ago? Some people never learn.

Ohio needs a charsimatic leader who will convince them to get past the 1960's.

Ironically, there is an avid Democrat, a displaced Michigander who now lives in Columbus who belives that manufacturing jobs will return as in "the good ol' days". *Sigh* if only they meant it when they said "Move On".
07-07-2004 07:47 AM
Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

DrTorch Wrote:Taft gives Republicans a bad name.
The Ohio Republican Party is imploding. The FBI, IRS and at least two grand juries are investigating operatives with ties to practically every public official in Columbus.

The stink is bad. There are hints of jury intimidation and "stolen" records. Check this stuff out:

<a href='http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1087983216244410.xml' target='_blank'>http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/...83216244410.xml</a>

<a href='http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/108824945889930.xml' target='_blank'>http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/...24945889930.xml</a>

Taft is about the only public official who can't be tied to any of this.

And his approval rating is in the 30s.
07-07-2004 08:12 AM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies

doesn't look much better in oklahoma. as far as jobs.
07-07-2004 08:31 AM
DrTorch Offline

Schadenfreude Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:Taft gives Republicans a bad name.
The Ohio Republican Party is imploding. The FBI, IRS and at least two grand juries are investigating operatives with ties to practically every public official in Columbus.

The stink is bad. There are hints of jury intimidation and "stolen" records. Check this stuff out:

<a href='http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/1087983216244410.xml' target='_blank'>http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/...83216244410.xml</a>

<a href='http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/108824945889930.xml' target='_blank'>http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/...24945889930.xml</a>
The "hints" of jury intimidation read like "Remember the Maine". That's some very bad journalism. Certainly the bribery charge is pretty bad.

The other story is disgusting...but reminscient of a certain folder that disappeard from now Sen. Clinton's posession.

But w/ a guy like Trafficant not forgotton, sounds like the entire state is in turmoil.

Honestly, I think there is a certain mindset of, "Let them handle it in Columbus," that pervades the state. The consequences are staggering.
07-07-2004 09:07 AM
Advertisement

1125 Offline
Heisman

I try to look at the big picture and this sure has hell ain't it

Quote: The Longaberger Co.
07-07-2004 11:44 AM
gruehls
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Schadenfreude Wrote:It's one set of numbers. It's not the whole picture.

I live in Ohio, and the picture looks pretty bad here. Every week, another big manufacturer announces a huge set of layoffs. Those jobs tend to pay better than the others, so its a huge deal to lose them.

This, today, is just the latest:

there are none so blind as those who will not see. you must live in one of those "alternate universe" ohios.

please god, bring back the glory days of celeste and celebrezze, those darlings of democratic duplicity. that will ensure boom times in every surrounding state.
07-07-2004 03:58 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

DrTorch Wrote:The "hints" of jury intimidation read like "Remember the Maine". That's some very bad journalism. Certainly the bribery charge is pretty bad.
An assistant county prosecutor is basically saying: Look, it looks an awful lot like possible jury intimidation. We need to look into this.

I don't see where The Plain Dealer exaggerated anything.
07-07-2004 05:28 PM
gruehls
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Schadenfreude Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:The "hints" of jury intimidation read like "Remember the Maine".&nbsp; That's some very bad journalism.&nbsp; Certainly the bribery charge is pretty bad.
An assistant county prosecutor is basically saying: Look, it looks an awful lot like possible jury intimidation. We need to look into this.

I don't see where The Plain Dealer exaggerated anything.

wow, i just gotta know: the significance of your interpretation of what an assistant county prosecutor thinks is....what?

"possible" witness intimidation? i'll just bet you were all over the clinton escapades.
07-07-2004 06:47 PM
Schadenfreude Online

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

gruehls Wrote:wow, i just gotta know: the significance of your interpretation of what an assistant county prosecutor thinks is....what?
You lost me.
07-07-2004 08:45 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Schadenfreude Wrote:
gruehls Wrote:wow, i just gotta know: the significance of your interpretation of what an assistant county prosecutor thinks is....what?
You lost me.
I'm with Schad and we're night and day.
07-07-2004 09:34 PM
gruehls
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Schadenfreude Wrote:
You lost me.

good, we're even then. you lost me with "the ohio republican party is imploding."

what a shock: democrat safe haven cuyahoga county is giving big news to investigations of republicans statewide. and wow, let no one suggest that those career dems, historically bought and sold by the union bosses, might just be a little politically motivated.

"jury intimidation?" it's a grand jury, not a sitting criminal jury. ken blackwell, a republican, has had more to do with checking into this crap than the plain dealer has.

as for your heartfelt interpretation of what the assistant prosecutor said or meant, i remain curious. is this a hobby of your's; translating the meaning of prosecutor's public statements so that the dimwitted masses can fathom the truer, deeper meaning? if so, are all prosecutors afforded the same deference, or do you have a sliding scale?
07-07-2004 11:52 PM
moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

You have the jobs in Florida. The downside is you will be making less money, and it is getting more expensive here compared to years past. The old Florida salary ethic is that you won't mind the pay cut, especially when the weather is generally nice and warm. :rolleyes:
07-08-2004 01:46 AM
DrTorch Offline

Schadenfreude Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:The "hints" of jury intimidation read like "Remember the Maine".&nbsp; That's some very bad journalism.&nbsp; Certainly the bribery charge is pretty bad.
Maybe so, but that isn't really "news".

Secondly, do you think an Asst DA ever got "overly enthusiastic" to try to jump start his career? Another reason it's not news.

Quote:I don't see where The Plain Dealer exaggerated anything.

They linked together a bunch of facts to imply there was a story. That's exaggeration, b/c as of yet there is no story.

Seems like the whole state has problems...and both of the main parties have guilty players.

Press coverage like this doesn't help the situation.

If anything is imploding, it's the entire state. It has no focus and no direction as to how to build on its many assets. And the journalists at the Plain Dealer, Cincy Enquirer, and others are cannibalizing those very resources.
07-08-2004 07:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.