Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arab and muslim world wants to be friends with us
TJRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

Crappies

<a href='http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/177862_loveus20.html' target='_blank'>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/1778...2_loveus20.html</a>
07-02-2004 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SDSundevil Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I don't think the Arab and Muslim world even wants to be friends with each other, let alone the US.
But I do think the govts are the main cause of dissention.
07-03-2004 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Socko Wiethe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

SDSundevil Wrote:I don't think the Arab and Muslim world even wants to be friends with each other, let alone the US.
But I do think the govts are the main cause of dissention.
If that's truly the case, why would we insert ourselves into that equation in the first place?

The point of the article was that there are progressive political minds in the region. The challenge for the U.S. is to develop a political policy for the region that supports them. We missed badly with the choice to take over Iraq.

What we can't afford is to drive them towards unity under the guise of Islamic solidarity. A battle against the backdrop of religion is exactly what the fundamentalists want, and is the most brutal and barbaric kind of fight. Will our political fundamentalists be smart enough to avoid this trap?
07-03-2004 01:19 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

I agree and disagree with the article.

First, if Bush was too black-and-white with his "with us or against us" speech, this column is almost too black-and-white in the other extreme.

I'm dead sure there are those in the Middle East who dislike our government, but like Americans and American products*, as the article points out. But I still firmly believe there are a large number who DO hate the West - and more specifically, Americans - for our debauchery lifestyle, pluralism, and social liberalism. We are the secular heathens, in their eyes.

Wahhabism is being taught in Madrasses throughout the Middle East, a radical form of Islam that support the sexist, homophobic, iron fist of Sharia Law. I'm sure a sermon inside one of these madrasses isn't just a light discussion about how us Americans are nice people but the US government is the culprit. My sense is that it's 1000x times more vitriolic than that, and that we - as private individuals - are lumped in the same hedonistic category as "non believing infidels".

Also, if Bush is criticized too often for linking Saddam to Al Qaeda, I cringe when articles equalize Afghanistan and Iraq. Afghanistan was necessary, as it was a sanctuary of main rats nest of anti-American terrorism and terrorist camps, funded, sponsored, and supported by the ruling Taliban. Iraq, on the other hand, was a blip on the radar screen, with Saddam barely interested in mixing it up with the US. Therefore, how should we have handled Afghanistan? Politely ask them to stop training zealots to bomb American (and Spanish, and Israeli, and Indonesian, and African) cities?

* - I find it interesting when I hear how peoples all over the world often say that they love Americans and American products, but dislike our government. Raises the question of why anti-capitalists believe it is free trade, and not the big government decision-making, that drive people to hate Westerners.
07-03-2004 09:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.