Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The draft is coming
STLouis Blazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

7,500 IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) soldiers are about to be called up in the next few weeks. This is just the beginning of a cycle that America is going to be faced with.

About 40 states already have their draft boards in place and are waiting on the order. If President Bush gets reelected then I am willing to bet that the draft will be reinstated.

The thing I worry about most is women like my fiancee. There is no way my 5'4", 105lb fiancee would be able to handle the military, war, or anything that goes along with it. This isn't saying she isn't patriotic or doesn't love her country, it's saying that there are certain people that are mentally and physically cut out for this kind of commitment and sacrifice.

Whatever happens I hope its the best for our country but I hope they draft the right people. Oh yeah, college students won't be protected like they were during Vietnam.

What do you guys think?
06-29-2004 09:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte

I don't think the draft will come back anytime soon. I just don't think it's necessary. Iraq is not enough to make it come back. If we were to get into another engagement, say with North Korea or Iran, then the possibility is much greater. But I don't see that coming in the near future.

And they're only calling up around 7,500 out of a pool of over 250K.

As far as your finace, I wouldn't worry if if her number did come up. They would not put people who aren't ready into combat. My uncle is a Colonel in the Army National Guard and I asked him about the draft and him being called up. One of the things he said was that in basic they sort out the one's who are battle capable and those who aren't. The one's who aren't sit behind a desk or become technicians.

We're not in a dire need of troops just yet. If another conflict comes about, then that could all change.

Just my opinion though.
06-29-2004 10:04 PM
STLouis Blazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

I respect your opinion but the forces are spread so thin right now it seems that the only thing they can do is institute the draft.

Of course this wouldn't happen until at least January and A LOT of good things could happen in that time (of course bad things too but we are trying to focus on the positive things). Hopefully the attacks will slow down and a lot of the people behind them will be captured or killed.

Either way, if we are going to be in Iraq for a long time then our military force as we know it can not sustain it with the present numbers.
06-29-2004 10:11 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

What do I think? Well, it's actually INACTIVE Ready reserve and something that all military members go through if they don't spend at least 8 years in the military. 2, women aren't subject to the draft. 3, I don't think the draft will ever be reimposed. Unless your fiancee is prior military or a retiree, she isn't going to be affected.
06-29-2004 10:32 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

STLouis Blazer Wrote:What do you guys think?
I think Bush will wait until December before making a decision.

But I agree with St. Louis. It's a real possibility.
06-30-2004 05:10 AM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

I believe that it has a very low chance of happening, because of it unpopularity. But I wouldn't mind seeing it come back, even in peace time.
06-30-2004 12:11 PM
Advertisement

T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

Schadenfreude Wrote:I think Bush will wait until December before making a decision.
Is this a concession for the elections? :D
06-30-2004 12:12 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

T-Monay820 Wrote:
I believe that it has a very low chance of happening, because of it unpopularity. But I wouldn't mind seeing it come back, even in peace time.
unpopularity sure did work in the 70's!

the gov'ment dont care what is popular or not.
06-30-2004 01:44 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Laettner's Legacy Wrote:the gov'ment dont care what is popular or not.
They do if it won't get 'em elected.....and that's for both sides of the fence.
06-30-2004 01:50 PM
STLouis Blazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I would be VERY, VERY, VERY surprised if Bush gets reelected and doesn't reinstate the draft at least within 4 months after the election.

There hasn't been much talk about it from the candidates for a very good reason....they want to win.
06-30-2004 08:16 PM
RandyMc Offline
Reverend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

No draft. The Pentagon does not want it. Central Command does not want it. The field officers do not want it. The non-coms definitely do not want it. The nation does not need it.

Yet.

If a world war breaks out, different story. We are not, nor are we close, under the current circumstances, to a world war.

If the islamics think that we are about to crumble, however, that will harden their will and they may bring the world to war. That does not seem to be happening.

Yet.

Little ditties like what we have heard from the neo-libs could give the islamists hope, much like the Vietcog received 35 years ago, and thus, the will, to maintain the fight.
06-30-2004 10:40 PM
Advertisement

Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies

if the draft comes If being the word here i will hightail my *** to Canada.
07-01-2004 05:03 AM
John Galt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Despite rumors, Washington insiders say forget about draft revival

By Sumana Chatterjee

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - Ignore all those Internet rumors: Despite the U.S. military's desperate need for more troops, there's no chance that the Bush administration or Congress will resurrect the draft, short of a new Pearl Harbor.

It's just too unpopular politically. Moreover, military experts say that conscription would hurt the quality and morale of the armed forces.

Instead, the Pentagon is examining other options, such as calling up more members of the National Guard and reserves, extending tours of active duty, shifting manpower within divisions and moving troops from Europe and Asia to meet the urgent needs in Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, the Army announced Wednesday that it would call up 5,600 former active-duty personnel for another round of service.

"A draft? It's just not going to happen," said Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, the senior Democrat on the Senate Armed Services personnel subcommittee, agreed: "There is very little support in Congress for reinstating the draft."

Perhaps those comments will help steady the nerves of many Americans apparently rattled by an e-mail that's circulating nationwide. It says that legislation is pending in Congress that would reinstitute the draft for the first time since 1973, starting as early as spring 2005. It also says that the administration is "quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections."

There's a kernel of truth to the allegation - there is a bill pending that would restart the draft. But the Bush administration is opposed to it, as are Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry and the leadership of both the Democratic and Republican parties in Congress. Everyone remotely in a position to know is quite sure the bill is going nowhere.

"I don't know anyone in the executive branch of the government who believes that it would be appropriate or necessary to reinstitute the draft," Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said in April.

The bill's primary sponsor is Rep. Charles Rangel, a liberal Democrat from New York who represents Harlem. Even he admitted that his bill won't pass. He introduced it to get people to discuss who's doing the fighting in Iraq.

"The burdens of war should be fairly shared across all segments of our society and not fall disproportionately on poor communities as they do now," Rangel said in a written statement Wednesday.

To be sure, the Selective Service System, the agency in charge of conscription, remains in business, as it has since 1980, just in case a Pearl Harbor-sized national emergency required massive manpower immediately. All men between 18 and 25 must register, and nearly 14 million currently are.

The Internet rumor cites Selective Service's efforts to fill draft and appeals boards that administer local draft lotteries. Because board members serve 20 years, many who were appointed in the 1980s are being replaced, and there are routine vacancies from attrition to fill, but nothing more, said spokeswoman Alyce Burton.

"There is no big push as a result of gearing up for a draft," she said.

The Selective Service even posted a message to debunk the new-draft myth on its Web site (http://www.sss.gov).

Moreover, military experts oppose the draft because it could dramatically lower the quality of incoming soldiers. It also could introduce discipline and morale problems like those the military suffered during the Vietnam War. It would raise difficult social questions, such as whether women should continue to be excluded from a draft.

And restarting the draft would be expensive. According to military experts, the Defense Department spends about $100,000 to recruit and train each soldier. Draftees would be less likely to re-enlist, driving up training costs.

Fueling fear of a draft is the concern that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have strained military manpower dangerously. Using emergency powers, the Army temporarily increased its size by 30,000 soldiers over four years. But Congress wants to make sure the added troops are permanent. The House of Representatives voted in May to permanently add 30,000 Army soldiers over the next three years; the Senate voted in June for an additional 20,000 in fiscal 2005. Kerry proposes adding 40,000 troops.

But the Bush administration opposes a permanent increase, contending that the current spike in active-duty personnel is temporary. Instead, the Pentagon is looking to ease manpower shortages by outsourcing noncombat operations to private contractors, extending tours and integrating National Guard units and reserves into active-duty forces. Already, the National Guard and reserves make up about 40 percent of U.S. forces in Iraq.

In addition, the Army announced this week that it will call up 5,600 people who recently left the military but still have obligations as reservists. Army officials admitted that these are involuntary recruits, but they say the reservists were aware of the obligation when they signed up.

That's a long way from reviving the draft.

"It ain't going to happen," said Lawrence Korb, a former assistant secretary of defense in the Reagan administration who's now with the Center for American Progress, a liberal Washington think tank.

"It's an urban legend, and urban legends die hard," said Rep. Ed Schrock, R-Va., a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

<a href='http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/9049861.htm' target='_blank'>Knight Ridder Washington Bureau</a>
07-01-2004 06:28 AM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

How do you turn a conservative into a liberal? Reinstate the draft.

I have, for a long time, advocated some type of mandatory service immediately upon graduating from high school or upon turning 18 if you dropped out of school. Quite frankly, the service wouldn't have to be in the military. You could choose to do some other type of public service. Basically, I would require everyone to do that service over two summers after high school graduation. I advocate this for one primary reason.

All too often, from both liberals and conservatives, no one asks what is good for the country. Both tend to ask, "what's in it for me?" Service to country or some type of public service teaches the unmistakable lesson that some things are more important than you.

I realize that a draft is extrememly unlikely. OTOH, if internet rumors of a draft help unelect Dubya, I'll be the first one to fan the flames.
07-01-2004 06:45 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MAKO Wrote:I realize that a draft is extrememly unlikely. OTOH, if internet rumors of a draft help unelect Dubya, I'll be the first one to fan the flames.
:laugh:
07-01-2004 06:59 AM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

CrappiesCrappies

MAKO Wrote:How do you turn a conservative into a liberal? Reinstate the draft.

I have, for a long time, advocated some type of mandatory service immediately upon graduating from high school or upon turning 18 if you dropped out of school. Quite frankly, the service wouldn't have to be in the military. You could choose to do some other type of public service. Basically, I would require everyone to do that service over two summers after high school graduation. I advocate this for one primary reason.

All too often, from both liberals and conservatives, no one asks what is good for the country. Both tend to ask, "what's in it for me?" Service to country or some type of public service teaches the unmistakable lesson that some things are more important than you.

I realize that a draft is extrememly unlikely. OTOH, if internet rumors of a draft help unelect Dubya, I'll be the first one to fan the flames.
Mako what happens if i was a 3.8 honor student and i planned to go to college within 4 months of graduateing high school and hated the government. and oh yeah whats in it for me and don't give me that community bull either i'm for me and the lord god.
07-01-2004 07:01 AM
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

I'd agree with Mako on this one. I think some kind of mandatory service would be good for the young adult of this nation, not just for the nation itself. You could put people in the military for two years (or some predetermined time amount of time) or other programs like Americorps. After you are done with the service you can go to college. Your high school gpa will still figure into enrollment. Plus when you go to college you will be more mature and thus more ready for college.

I don't expect this to happen any time soon, however. Too many people will be upset that their kid was an honor student and should have to do this or whatever.

Also I refuse to try to create a scare to make any candidate look less desirable. Scare tactics are a poor way to run a country. Bush is currently using them by saying that if Kerry goes into office the country will be less secure. In stead of trying to make Bush look scary, Kerry should prove that he will not make the country less secure. Unless Kerry really thinks that making the country less secure will get him elected. I'd really like to see just the candidates throwing rhetoric, not everybody who thinks that they can help. For me it all boils down to policy anyway.
07-01-2004 08:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

CrappiesCrappies

My age group will not fight for a worthless cause.
I can speak with great truth about that.
and any way my health will keep me out of service due to the fact i have adhd and i weigh 300 +pounds and i am also on controlled drugs.
07-01-2004 12:14 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte

Quote:My age group will not fight for a worthless cause.

What generation is that?
07-01-2004 12:22 PM
USMC Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbsCrappies

Tulsaman Wrote:My age group will not fight for a worthless cause.
I can speak with great truth about that.
be glad that your "age group" wasn't born in another country then. With your approach, we would be the only free nation. Are you saying that ending a tyranny and freeing an entire nation isn't a worthy cause? (and don't give me the "we were lied to about why we were going....no ****)
07-01-2004 12:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.